ARB Modded Bar

Anything Triton related

ARB Modded Bar

Postby sam on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 am

Did a search for ARB bar and nothing came up but I know a few guys wanted to see what I've done to improve air flow ;)

This is what I did to the bar on our blue ML 8-)

Click to view larger picture

Hope this helps.
sam

Re: ARB Modded Bar

Postby patto on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 am

Are you alowed to do that??? Legally!

Would not suit me, more holes mean more pieces of skippy i would have to clean out from under the bonnett! :D
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby andyj on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Does it detract from the integraty of the bar?????????
Last edited by andyj on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby trouble on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Looks good however not sure on the legallities???????
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby gregned on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Can anyone say broken record?
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby ag9111 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Why wouldn't it be legal, whats wrong with it. This is bolted up to a commercial vehicle remember.

Thats a thumbs up for me
Last edited by ag9111 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:03 pm

I like it mate....faaaark the coppers. If pedestrians don't want to get runover stay of the fkn footpath!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Homer wrote:I like it mate....faaaark the coppers. If pedestrians don't want to get runover stay of the fkn footpath!

Yeah, they should walk on the road where the rest of the country drives - right Homer...??? :lol:
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patto on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:31 am

Legal in the fact that the bar is already built and designed to Aust Standards, air bar rating etc... dont get me wronf its a good idea, but this day and age the good old Insurance co will look for any scape goats.

I would like to see the bars integrity as it slams into a roo at 110kmh opposed to a bar that has no holes.
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby Naff on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:57 am

It's still going to be stronger than a plastic bar and nudge even with the holes in it... so insurance wouldn't be able to argue about integrity. I doubt there are legalities involved but I don't think ARB would uphold their warranty.. if there is one?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Try-it-on on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:44 pm

Unless you are actually overheating, isn't pretty much a mute point ?
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:20 pm

the whole issue of bars and restricted flows is possibly a bit over rated. i say this with some reservation but my example is that in the last couple of weeks and driving around with the frost symbol on the console (i.e. <3deg) my water temp is still about 79deg with very easy motoring. only 1 or maybe two degress less than a reasonably hot day.

intercooler temps might be a different story though but i reckon the water cooling thermostat is set at on or about 80deg on my triton.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:25 am

Get the latest 4wd Action and read the bull bar destruction test they did on all the modern bars.

Me thinks bars are all a bit overrated to be honest. After one strike most of them were cactus and unable to be driven further. :roll:
MN GLXR

Postby Steane on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:28 am

MN GLXR wrote:Get the latest 4wd Action and read the bull bar destruction test they did on all the modern bars.

Me thinks bars are all a bit overrated to be honest. After one strike most of them were cactus and unable to be driven further. :roll:

It was a fairly big hit (equivalent of a 120kg roo at 80km/h or so they said), and there were a number of bars that prevented damage, or minimised it to the extent that the car could be driven. I'd rather wreck a bar, than have my car written-off in the middle of nowhere.

I bought the Ironman commercial bar based on that test. Figured I won't be doing 100km/h at dawn or dusk in roo country, so the odds are what I may hit at 60km/h, won't damage the bar. It's also lighter than the ARB Deluxe, and it's always been weight, not air-flow that has put me off bullbars. Mind you it still caused the front suspension to drop around 10mm. It cost $1089 and if it was bent after a hit, I'd be happier buying a replacement bar, than getting towed to a crash repairer and going through the whole insurance/car repair crap.

Another good option revealed in that test was the xrox tube bar, but they don't currently have one available for the Triton. The other surprise was the plastic smartbar (prevented damage to car), but they look crap
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Have to agree with you Steane. The simulation was a very big hit and most bars at least reduced damage to the point where you could drive on. The Smartbar was a surprise but ugly.

The test did make me think about the strength of my Ironman bar and even considering beefing it up, knowing that most of the bars bent just behind the centre upright tube. That said, the holes in Sam's bar would have me worrying about reducing the strength, given that the comparo indicated that some bars failed because of holes in the bar. It might not be such an issue with the holes in the front but I'd be concerned anyway.

My roo strike count is only five and a couple of those were at about 80km/h. Surprisingly those two were on a vehicle with a fully tubular bar which prevented any damage to the vehicle in both cases. The others were a bit slower but, so far and fingers crossed, I've had no vehicle damage other than a $35 piece of plastic. Bars were alloy and steel and in every case suffered no damage at all. Add to that 3 vehicle hits, again with virtually no damage to my vehicle. So, 8 hits in total cost $35 plus a $500 excess (one was supposedly my fault). Average roo strike damage is about $3000 so I figure $535 vs a potential $24,000 and uncountable inconvenience.

In my opinion, then, bullbars are well worth the investment but maintaining their strength is paramount to ensuring that they perform their function of protecting the vehicle. Every extra hole has the potential to reduce strength and even with winches in place I've never had any problems with overheating.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby darvico on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:57 pm

this is something that I have been pondering over for a while, I don't want the intercooler to get hot because of a bulbar, but I want a winch. last thing id want is for Mitsubishi to not cover my warranty for any heating related problem because I put a bulbar on. maybe this extra hole idea is the way for me.
darvico

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:23 pm

The issue of overheating is far more likely to be blockages from mud or vegetation in the fins of the radiator/intercooler or internal blockages than it is from insufficient holes in a bullbar. With lights, winch and miscellaneous other bits hanging off the front I've yet to have any overheating problems. If you have a look at the various "factory" bullbars you'll notice that they generally have less holes than an ARB/TJM/Ironman etc.

Interesting that this thread has come back after a 4 year hiatus but my feelings against drilling holes in a product that's been engineered to meet a certain standard of strength are even stronger now, given that, in the meantime, I managed to have a seriously big roo strike and suffered only minor damage.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Scale on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:The issue of overheating is far more likely to be blockages from mud or vegetation in the fins of the radiator/intercooler or internal blockages than it is from insufficient holes in a bullbar. With lights, winch and miscellaneous other bits hanging off the front I've yet to have any overheating problems. If you have a look at the various "factory" bullbars you'll notice that they generally have less holes than an ARB/TJM/Ironman etc.

Interesting that this thread has come back after a 4 year hiatus but my feelings against drilling holes in a product that's been engineered to meet a certain standard of strength are even stronger now, given that, in the meantime, I managed to have a seriously big roo strike and suffered only minor damage.

+1
Scale

Postby darvico on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am

NowForThe5th wrote: If you have a look at the various "factory" bullbars you'll notice that they generally have less holes than an ARB/TJM/Ironman etc.

Good point. I feel at ease :p
darvico

Return to General Discussion