smart alternator

smart alternator

Postby Jimboz on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:34 am

Rang up various service dept's to ask if my 2015 MQ GLX Club Cab had a smart alternator or not.. Answer from all of them, Sorry mate NFI. :roll: :roll: :roll: Yeah Thanks!!!

Got this from the Redarc site

Vehicle Make: Mitsubishi

Vehicle Model: Triton

Vehicle Year: 2000-2016

This vehicle has a Fixed Voltage alternator.

A Fixed Voltage (Standard) Alternator will produce a constant voltage upwards of 14V whilst driving.

The 2012-16 Pajero has a variable output alternator

This information is provided as a guide only. Please contact the vehicle manufacturer for the most accurate information regarding your vehicle's alternator system.
Jimboz

Re: smart alternator

Postby aquagen on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:17 pm

No smart alternator on the Mq. Not on mine anyway. 14.2v constant
aquagen

Postby Sandstorm76 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 pm

I am unsure. I read both does and doesn't. My voltage does vary though slightly when driving about so figured it is variable voltage. Normally around late 13s to early 14s

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Sandstorm76

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:14 pm

See here.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Sandstorm76 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:49 pm

But if the current is sensed by the ECU you wouldn't expect to see the sensor on the negative terminal would you????

Sandstorm76

Postby Sandstorm76 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Jimboz wrote:Rang up various service dept's to ask if my 2015 MQ GLX Club Cab had a smart alternator or not.. Answer from all of them, Sorry mate NFI. :roll: :roll: :roll: Yeah Thanks!!!

Got this from the Redarc site

Vehicle Make: Mitsubishi

Vehicle Model: Triton

Vehicle Year: 2000-2016

This vehicle has a Fixed Voltage alternator.

A Fixed Voltage (Standard) Alternator will produce a constant voltage upwards of 14V whilst driving.

The 2012-16 Pajero has a variable output alternator

This information is provided as a guide only. Please contact the vehicle manufacturer for the most accurate information regarding your vehicle's alternator system.

I read on redarc site Triton upto 2014

Sandstorm76

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 am

Sandstorm76 wrote:But if the current is sensed by the ECU you wouldn't expect to see the sensor on the negative terminal would you????

Of course you would. Without the sensor how will the ECU know what is happening and be able to do something about it.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Sandstorm76 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:28 pm

I have no idea that's why I asked. Thanks for clarifying.
Sandstorm76

Postby Skullator on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:27 am

Skullator

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:01 am

Hmmm. Starts off well and then degenerates into a sales pitch for their product.

Their claim that an auxiliary battery won't be charging is rubbish - it will draw power from the main battery as long as there is a difference in charge.

The suggestion that gel and AGM batteries can be damaged is also rubbish. Since the auxiliary battery is drawing from the main battery it will receive voltage at the output of the main battery, not the alternator. Thus the main battery soaks up variations meaning that the auxiliary gets a nice steady flow.

VSRs cant be used? Poppycock. A VSR will disengage when voltage drops below a pre-set threshold to preserve the main battery. Since the VSR should be connected between batteries it will see main battery voltage, not alternator voltage. I admit that the VSR needs to be carefully set and a "smart" VSR is better but their claim is no more than a scare tactic.

I have a smart alternator on my Pajero with an auxiliary battery connected through what I'd describe as a "smart" VSR. Battery voltage sits quite consistently at 13.2 - 13.4 volts. I do take the AGM out of the loop about once a year and put it on a mains powered charger, which is a recommended procedure particularly because I do a lot of short trips. Other than that the system works a treat, both batteries maintaining near optimum charge levels.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:28 am

The whole 'smart' alternator concept is a bit of a wank really.

The ancilliaries & lighting will require 'x' amount of juice when travelling a given distance from A to B of a given period of time. The alternator is your source of electrical power and as part of its duty is to recharge the 'starter' battery.

Once your battery is fully charged and for example the only load is the injection system, there will be minimum current draw on the alternator and hence the force required to spin it.

The smart alternator instead seems to allow the power draw to be primarily on the battery. Once the battery has discharged to a point, the alternator is turned up to start replenishing the battery charge. This cycle is constantly going on while driving. I think the consequence has got to be shorter battery life.

With regard to the tech being a fuel saving aid, I think the condition of most of our roads would swamp out any benefit. Every bump or dip your tyres hit on the road surface increases the force required for your wheel to roll over it.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby harmigera on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm installing a DCDC charger in my camper trailer and want to know if MY17 MQ has a standard or smart alternator? My Ultraguage shows a constant battery voltage of around 14v and there is no sensor on the negative terminal, so I'm assuming it's a standard constant alternator.
thanks
harmigera

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:46 pm

No sensor on negative battery lead = no smart alternator.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby harmigera on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks 5th.
I assumed it was a constant alternator, but there is alot of conflicting opinions on the internet and had me second guessing.
harmigera

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Sensor on the negative terminal.

So is the ecu actually calculating Ahrs pulled out of the battery in these 'smart alternator' setups 5th?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Exactly RHK. Easier to measure the total current at the negative terminal and alternator then compensates, changing charge as required. That's why things should be earthed to the body and not run direct to the negative terminal - so that usage is allowed for and not missed.
Chris

NowForThe5th

smart alternator

Postby viking shippy on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 pm

so how about a new mr triton does it have a smart alternator???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
viking shippy

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:03 am

Is there a Hall Effect sensor on the negative terminal?

If yes, then it's a smart alternator, if no, it's not.
Chris

NowForThe5th

smart alternator

Postby viking shippy on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:25 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Is there a Hall Effect sensor on the negative terminal?

If yes, then it's a smart alternator, if no, it's not.
thanks mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
viking shippy

Postby babeliak on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Good news for you guys :!:
I have a positive confirmation from my (European) Mitsu dealership/service, that we get in the 2015-2019 L200/Triton the usual 'normal' alternator (not the trouble 'smart' thing). 8-)
mitsubishi triton l200 alternator normal usual not smart not smart-alternator genarator information confirmation problem question
Check the attached copy from repair manual :arrow: here
babeliak

Postby JaySaad on Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:22 am

If MQ Triton is not a smart alternator, why do ppl running a DC to DC charger? Does it have any effect on charging?
JaySaad

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:33 pm

90% of what you read about DC/DC chargers is sales pitch. They'll come up with a zillion reasons why theirs is better but at the end of the day it's just electricity and, in a car, it's DC anyway so, as long as you control the voltage it's going to work. Although batteries will prefer a certain voltage from which to charge, that voltage is in a range, usually around 13V, up to about 15.5V which is pretty much the range that a smart alternator will charge at. What smart alternators do is replenish the battery more quickly when there is a heavy current drain, sensed by the Hall Effect sensor on the negative terminal. Incidentally, this is why anything electrical should be grounded to the body, so that whatever current it uses can be sensed and the smart alternator can compensate.

I know Tritons don't have a smart alternator but Pajeros and Pajero Sports do, so what I say here is relevant for members with those vehicles.

As for charging, read my earlier post. On my Pajero which does have a smart alternator, just a slightly smart VSR does the job beautifully. Absolutely no need to spend the ridiculous amounts of money being asked for DC/DC chargers.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:32 pm

Only situation you may want a dcdc charger is for topping up a remote battery, as in a van or camper. It'll compensate for any volt drop from the alternator to battery when not using 'huge' copper.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

MR triton alternator

Postby becks0079 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:28 am

Does the new MR triton have a smart alternator?
becks0079

Re: MR triton alternator

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:10 am

Yes
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Next

Return to Electrical