Driving light wiring - MQ

Driving light wiring - MQ

Postby kennyj on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Just a quick question. Where did you pick up the high beam switch for the driving lights? Having a few issue locating it. Any help would be great
kennyj

Re: Driving light wiring

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:15 pm

I picked mine up at the back of the headlight
GLRkenny

Postby rsv4dan on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 pm

This green wire on the passenger side head light that I've tapped into... It is positively switched when the high beams are on.
Click to view larger picture
rsv4dan

Postby tommydadog on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Got mine from the back of the headlight as well.
tommydadog

Re: Driving light wiring - MQ

Postby Snooozy on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:24 pm

I gave up looking under the dash,
hooked up at the headlight
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 pm

rsv4dan wrote:This green wire on the passenger side head light that I've tapped into... It is positively switched when the high beams are on.

I would recommend taking out the scotchlock, will cause problems later.
solder & cover in shrinkwrap to keep out moisture
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kennyj on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:07 pm

thanks for the help
kennyj

Postby aquagen on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Anyone with the genuine wiring loom... How do you back out the green wire from the plug (step 4a)
aquagen

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Most connectors have a locking tab that holds them in the housing. Use a tiny (jeweller's) flat blade screwdriver, slide in from the front of the housing to push down the locking tab. The connector should then just slide out the back of the housing.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby aquagen on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks mate figured as much. Tried screw driver, safety pin, multimeter probe with no joy. Off to the auto lecy Monday I think
aquagen

Postby DrewXT on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:48 pm

Try pinching a hair pin from your missus, cut the little ball on the end off... Usually works
DrewXT

Postby aquagen on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Soo.... Took it to the auto sparky, and was out in 2 mins. FYI for anyone else, the white insert around the pins pulls out with needle nose pliers giving access to the clip holding the pin
aquagen

Postby MADMETHBANSHEE on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:23 pm

A sparky told me if I try to hook up my own spotties I'll run into issues with the canbus and fry a module. Is this horse shit?
MADMETHBANSHEE

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Depends on your abilities, but basically, yes.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MADMETHBANSHEE on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:42 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Depends on your abilities, but basically, yes.
Thanks cobba, I've always done my own electrical work so I'll handle it easy then.
MADMETHBANSHEE

Postby Thanatos on Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks peeps. Was just wiring up my spotties and thought I'd check to see if anyone already sussed out the switching wire to use. Sped things up a bit to know straight where to go. Cheers
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby ImpulseTriton on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 pm

HI all,

Am hoping to tag along on this thread. I bought a pair of spotties, and it came with a wiring loom, which has a relay, and from that, connectors to the battery, a switch, the spotties and a fourth wire to hook up to the headlights/highbeams?

My abilities are very limited in this field, and I'm tempted to give in to the minister of finance, and get a sparky to do it, or is there something I'm missing.

There are 2 issues I'm having. The first is that wire leading to be connected to the headlights or highbeams didn't seem to fit what I needed, in that the plugs seemed to be different from the one that is fitted to the Triton. I'm tipping that this wire is meant to be connected, so that the spotties will switch off automatically if you turn off the high beams.

The second issue is getting through the firewall. I've found one gromet, which is located close to the drivers door, and has a bunch of wires going through it. Are there more accessible / easier ways through the firewall??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to pack up tools just yet.

Postby Monkeyz on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Monkeyz

Postby bobski on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 pm

That harness is a good quick solution, saves having to pick up the high beams! It really was a pain in the neck (I have limited experience as well, but once I start something...). If I had the time again, I'd probably pay for it and a few other jobs (one still ongoing), but its done now.

The grommet is still a PITA and there's some sharp bits under the dash - wearing a glove is highly recommended. Taping the wire onto a wooden skewer worked for me, but its still an effort and took a few goes. I think someone on here recommended running a bundle of wires through the grommet so you only have to do it once. Great advice ... read that after I'd run a couple of other wires and gone through the same pain - hah.

With my harness, the switch wiring goes through the grommet and wire to the relay, battery and spotties goes via the battery and there'll be a single wire to go to the high beams. I picked up the switching wire from the drivers side high beam and ran the wiring to the battery and spotties along the back of the engine bay (there's existing manufacturers wires and anchors to clip onto). I think the high beam wire might have been striped purple, but you should use a light pen or multi-meter to work it out. Search youtube for how to install driving lights, gives you the general idea, the harnesses and procedure seemed to be the same on the ones I saw. Hopefully that helps give you a general idea - I'm no expert - just banging along until something works (and hopefully doesn't catch fire).
bobski

Postby ImpulseTriton on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Cheers guys.

The wiring kit I have is like the stedi one. Has both a H3 and H4 connectors, however, when I unplugged the plug behind the light, it didn't quite connect with the H3 connector, even though it looks very similar.

Getting through the grommet sounds just about do-able. I like hint of the skewer. And I also want to pass the uhf cable through as well, so will try both at same time.

Thanks for help guys.

Postby ImpulseTriton on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Oh, and if I get it to work, will post some pictures.

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:08 am

I have no experience on the MQ, but on the two previous models there's been a big round empty rubber plug in a hole in the firewall just above where a clutch pedal would be (or is if you have the manual). It's got to be worth a look at least. It's about the size of a 50 cent piece, give or take.

The usual wiring recommendation is that you run some 7 core trailer wire through. Maybe even 2 lengths.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jim80h on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:27 pm

I am wiring up my lightbar on my new GLS. A bit of investigating has uncovered a place to pick up a High beam trigger, without having to cut any wires. A close look at the fuse box near the battery reveals a terminal lug right next to the 2 high beam fuses. I have a photo, but am not sure how to post it. A small spade, or a modified normal spade terminal will go on. :mrgreen:
jim80h

Postby jim80h on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Here is the image. I hope.
jim80h

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Just remember jim, GLS Tritons have HID headlights, touch the wrong spot around the ballast and you will feel what over 25000volts feel like!
I too have a GLS and when I was searching around to hook up the light bar I installed, after searching and searching, talking to various sparkies who deal specifically with Mitsubishi dealership I splashed out on the Genuine Mitsubishi wiring harness and honestly it could not have been easier.
Simply plug and play, no drilling bloody holes in the fire wall as once you have it all done under the bonnet, remove the passenger kick panel and simply plug the wiring for the switch in and all done, the plugs are all waiting there ready to go.
Loom set me back about $125 from memory, considering a couple of sparkies quoted me $200 +
WUNSIE

Next

Return to Electrical