Fitting Light Bar to MQ GLS

Fitting Light Bar to MQ GLS

Postby WUNSIE on Sat May 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi everyone, hoping someone has done this,I have a Light bar I want to put on top of my nudge bar to compliment the HID headlights in my GLS as I have found the high beams have no depth, even though low beam is fantastic.
I was hoping if someone with the same ute as mine can tell me if they used the OEM Mitsubishi driving light harness or did they simply get a sparkie to wire up their spotties, and if they did can you please let me know what wire did they use to trigger the relay, hope someone can help out,
Cheers WUNSIE
WUNSIE

Re: Fitting Light Bar to MQ GLS

Postby aquagen on Sun May 29, 2016 7:58 am

Paid for the harness, mainly for the factory style switch. Took me about half an hour to wire up once I figured out how to back out the trigger wire from plug near the head light
aquagen

Postby WUNSIE on Sun May 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Cheers for that aquagen, the harness you got was that factory Mitsubishi or aftermarket eg; Narva and did it come with everything needed for a plug and play set up,
WUNSIE

Postby aquagen on Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Factory Mitsubishi. With the hid lights in the gls no harness besides Mitsubishi will be plug and play. Also the factory harness includes a switch to suit factory cut outs, and runs from passenger kick well to dash so you don't have to try and get wiring through the firewall
aquagen

Postby WUNSIE on Mon May 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks Champ, ;) rang dealer this arvo $145 for the harness, seems that's the way I will head,
once again mate Cheers
WUNSIE

Postby aquagen on Mon May 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Sounds about what I paid. Considering the light force and narva harness are around $100 and don't include a factory style switch I'd say Mitsubishi harness is definitely the way to go
aquagen

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Hooked up the harness today, all went well. :D Aquagen can I ask you if your switch supplied with the kit illuminates indicating spotties are on. :?:
One thing I love is how everything fell into place
WUNSIE

Postby aquagen on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:54 pm

I think it's supposed to. But mine doesn't. Was going to get it checked at my 15k service
aquagen

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks mate, just had a squiz at mine then, the light symbol illuminates when ignition is on, but the small light on the top of the switch which looks like it lights up when spotties come on does not.
Maybe that's how its meant to be
Please let us now when you ask at your service,
Cheers WUNSIE
WUNSIE

Postby mooky on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Wunsie what light bar did you go with?
mooky

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:17 pm

I went with a (KORR 60W 12 LED Driving Light Bar 516mm ) sure there are bigger and better around, but I got it at a good price, and I love how it dosn,t block off any airflow and it helps to light up the road where the HID high beams fall short ;)
Autobarn have them on special at the moment
WUNSIE

Postby jerrah on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:45 pm

aquagen wrote:Paid for the harness, mainly for the factory style switch.
Does it happen to be part number MZ350456? I've seen a few listed on eBay stating that they're a genuine Mitsubishi item but the switch in the photo doesn't look OEM at all! i.e. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Driving-Light-Harness-Mitsubishi-Triton-MQ-2016-Genuine-New-MZ350456-/281850936188?hash=item419f9ffb7c:g:MZgAAOSwnNBXZbOB
jerrah

Postby aquagen on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 am

jerrah wrote:
aquagen wrote:Paid for the harness, mainly for the factory style switch.
Does it happen to be part number MZ350456? I've seen a few listed on eBay stating that they're a genuine Mitsubishi item but the switch in the photo doesn't look OEM at all! i.e. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Driving-Light-Harness-Mitsubishi-Triton-MQ-2016-Genuine-New-MZ350456-/281850936188?hash=item419f9ffb7c:g:MZgAAOSwnNBXZbOB

Nope. Pretty sure that's the harness from a pajero sport. I asked the dealer to show me the harness when I was looking around because he had no triton ones in stock and I was going to try that one. Took one look at the switch and said no thanks, order me one in.
aquagen

Postby Monster71 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Sounds like the factory wiring harness is the way to go. There are some awesome BIG wattage lights out there. Do anyone know the amp (WATT) rating the harness is? I don't want my new Mitsi to catch fire.
Monster71

Postby Monster71 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:35 pm

In Addition to my post, I purchased a factory wiring Kit. The MQ wiring loom has a 20 amp fuse with a 40amp Contactor, and all in protective conduit. So all good for light bar.
I can confirm all the wiring just plugs in nice and neatly. As I also had the Powered tow bar wiring harness installed, it took a little effort to figure out which wires to "back out" and plug into. The instruction are reasonably clear, just take your time. The blue plug on the wiring loom for the high beam switch was confusing until I un-plugged it, then it was all clear. the blue plug is both a male and female plug that needs to connected. Its a nice neat job, and no need to run wires through the fire wall.
The light bar it had a different water proof plug, so I just cut off the standard mitsy plug and soldered on (with heat shrink) the water proof plug that came with the wiring loom for the light bar. So teh installation is nice and neat, water proof, and in protective conduit.
If I had to do it again, I guess it would take 10-15 minutes in total. (once I worked out the blue plug)
For those interested in an after market wiring loom looking for the high beam switch wire its the "Light green one" one on the wiring loom for HID head lights.
Monster71

Postby Monster71 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm

In Addition to my post, I purchased a factory wiring Kit. The MQ wiring loom has a 20 amp fuse with a 40amp Contactor, and all in protective conduit. So perfect for a light bar.
I can confirm all the wiring just plugs in nice and neatly. As I also had the "Powered" tow bar wiring harness installed, it took a little effort to figure out which wires to "back out" and plug into. The instruction are reasonably clear, just take your time. The blue plug on the wiring loom for the high beam switch was confusing until I un-plugged it, then it was all clear. The blue plug is both a male and female plug that needs to connected. Its a nice neat job, and no need to run wires through the fire wall.
The light bar had a different water proof plug, so I just cut off the standard mitsy plug and soldered on (with heat shrink) the water proof plug that came with the light bar wiring loom. So the installation is nice and neat, water proof, and in protective conduit.
If I had to do it again, I guess it would take 10-15 minutes in total. (once I worked out the blue plug)
For those interested in an after market wiring loom looking for the high beam switch wire its the "Light green one" one on the wiring loom for HID head lights.
Monster71

Postby elafokynhgos on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:22 am

Monster71 wrote:In Addition to my post, I purchased a factory wiring Kit. The MQ wiring loom has a 20 amp fuse with a 40amp Contactor, and all in protective conduit. So perfect for a light bar.
I can confirm all the wiring just plugs in nice and neatly. As I also had the "Powered" tow bar wiring harness installed, it took a little effort to figure out which wires to "back out" and plug into. The instruction are reasonably clear, just take your time. The blue plug on the wiring loom for the high beam switch was confusing until I un-plugged it, then it was all clear. The blue plug is both a male and female plug that needs to connected. Its a nice neat job, and no need to run wires through the fire wall.
The light bar had a different water proof plug, so I just cut off the standard mitsy plug and soldered on (with heat shrink) the water proof plug that came with the light bar wiring loom. So the installation is nice and neat, water proof, and in protective conduit.

I bought the same wiring harness mz350456 and the genuine towbar harness, and I have a problem with the blue wire. The towbar harness is connected to the blue wire and the instructions of mz350456 says to connect at the same location, that isn't make sense because if I do that, my car will explode! What is your opinion about this?
elafokynhgos

Postby wwwhistler on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Just FYI really, I've installed a smart light bar, that is controlled via a BlueTooth app on your phone. Solid build, weatherproof etc - make is Winplus 24" Smart Light Bar. Change colour, brightness and flashing via the app, and you can set up presets like:

- two rows of bright white for broad spread to compliment off-road driving lights
- a warmer/dimmer ambient light to use when setting up camp
- yellow/orange light to keep away bugs
- flashing blue light for whatever you would like to legally use them for :lol:

I have installed a dash switch and relay - you don't want to fiddle with the app while driving to simply turn it off, but didn't connect to high beams as I want to use it independently sometimes (like at camp). I mounted mine underneath my Rhino cross-bar - baulked at the $86 brackets and instead spend $5 at Bunnies for some simple L brackets I've bolted under the bar.
wwwhistler

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Sounds a bit unroadworthy.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wwwhistler on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:47 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Sounds a bit unroadworthy.

Not sure how you mean. The L brackets are steel, similar gauge to the Rhino brackets, just a lot cheaper. Added bonus is the Rhino brackets mount the light in front of the crossbar, meaning any load on top of the bars may be obstructed by the light, but my brackets are mounted underneath, avoiding that problem.

If you are referring to the coloured/flashing lights, then yes they are for off-road use only.
wwwhistler

Postby harmigera on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

ADR rules and regulation states:
"Additional driving lights must remain switched off when high beam headlights are not in operation; and
must automatically switch off when high beam headlights are either turned off or the headlamps are dipped."

I think the driving lights have to be wired in such a way that they only come on when the high beams are activated. Don't know if the Police ever check , so you might get away with it.
harmigera

Postby wwwhistler on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:54 am

Gotcha - you're right then - not roadworthy. I don't ever intend to use it on-road - I have properly wired spotties for that - but I'll make sure to change the wiring when I sell the car.
wwwhistler

Postby chriskelly01 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi Everyone

I have a factory wiring kit for the MQ. Installation is fine, just wanting to know if the Kings driving lights are a simple plug into the loom or do you need to cut off standard mitsy plug and replace with Deutch plug??
chriskelly01

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:29 pm

When I done my Light Bar, I found it easier just to go and get new matching Male & Female Deutch Plugs, Back out the pins, soldered the new pins on and simply slip them into the matching new plugs.
From memory picked them up from Jaycar, Heaps cheaper than auto stores. Coated new pins and seals with dielectric grease, happy days. For a few dollars don't skimp on a good quality connection ;)
WUNSIE

Return to Electrical