Stock radio turning off by itself

Stock radio turning off by itself

Postby jerrah on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:56 am

I just drove across several thousand kilometres over a few days and I had the stock MQ GLX+ radio cut out on me a few days. When I looked over at the screen it would be restarting with the Mitsubishi Motors entertainment system logo on the screen. Once it had rebooted it would work fine for a while. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it likely a loose power cable or something wrong in the unit itself?

Has anyone had any luck replacing the stock stereo with an aftermarket whilst utilising the steering wheel controls and factory reverse camera?
jerrah

Re: Stock radio turning off by itself

Postby Thanatos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Haven't heard of it or experienced that mate. Does sound like a loose cable though, or the unit has some fault and a decent jolt makes it crash and restart.

I have put some serious thought into pulling out and changing the standard stereo with an aftermarket gps unit though. I quizzed my dealer pretty hard on it when I bought the car because I was considering having them do it. They suggested a few brands that have worked for them and confirmed you can definitely keep all the functionality of the steering wheel buttons. There was a JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer & Alpine model they mentioned so it pretty much sounds like anything that is designed for steering wheel controls can work.

Aerpro make a replacement fascia for the MQ to suit a standard Double Din Stereo and the wiring adaptor specific to the car that you would need. There was another thread on here to do with the stereo removal viewtopic.php?f=101&t=18539 and it looks like the guy was successful but not a lot of details.

take some photos if you start dismantling things to help the rest of us:)
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby Monster71 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:38 pm

I have had my MQ 3 weeks. I can confirm, my Radio also turns off by it self. Then just comes back on a few minutes later.
Its booked into the dealer later this week.
Monster71

Postby Doong on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Make sure the fuse is fully pushed in.
They are pushed in at the pre delivery inspection, but it's not uncommon for them to only be pushed in half way.
Doong

Postby Monster71 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks Doong. I checked the fuse last night, YES it felt loose and pushed in further. It was tricky to do, the fuse box is in a difficult location tucked in behind the glove box, and difficult to see which was the right fuse. but got it worked out.
So far today the Radio stayed on all day.
Monster71

Postby Doong on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah pop the glove box out, and it's the yellow square with two fuses in.
Push the yellow bit in and then give both fuses a poke to make sure they are in.
Doong

Postby deimos on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Mine been doing that too on exceed.. took into dealer... he checked it, couldnt find issue so just ordered me a new one from factory. Will arrive in new yr. All under warranty
deimos

Postby john_on on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:07 am

had the same issue late last year dealer found it and been fine for 6 months now it was the IOD FUSE was not seated right. now in saying this I think they check all other fuses as doong said.

but yes solved now on my MQ
john_on

Postby jerrah on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Yeah I pushed in the fuse as per Doong above ages ago. Fixed it up and never a problem since!
jerrah

Postby bonz17 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 am

Hey folks, new member here. I am having issues with my MQ Dual cab radio as well. I have had other electrical issues (bad tow harness install, that is now rectified), however it seems to have stopped my radio from working at all. There seems to be no power going to it.

I have checked all the fuses, even the ones in the yellow box thing, which in the process, the yellow bit snapped off. Now the fuses are still sitting fully in and I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't work without the yellow box?

I guess my real question is, are there any other fuses that may have blown that I could check? Or perhaps my previous electrical issues have blown the relay? I cannot seem to locate a diagram indicating which relay does what. Does anyone know which relay does what?

Usually I would take it to the dealer, however the closest dealer is an hour away, and I would like to avid the drive if I can, especially if it is just a simple hidden fuse or relay.

Cheers!!
bonz17

Return to Electrical