Towbar wiring

Towbar wiring

Postby jim80h on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi All,
Im getting a MQ GLX+, and was looking at towbars. My dealer quoted nearly $1000 to fit factory. I have seen a couple of aftermarket ones that come in around $500 with wiring harness. It mentioned that I require a ecu as well? Can someone please explain why?. Im not young and tech savvy, so please help. :?: :?: :?:
jim80h

Re: Towbar wiring

Postby coughy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:54 pm

the ecu is to protect the wire and system from the current draws from the lights as they use little tinny wire for the factory lights and the trailer would put to much load on the wiring and could blow the etacs that controls the cars features
so the ecu is a multi relay in the back of car and has a power from the battery to power it up to feed the trailer plug
well that is what i was told and thought
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aquagen on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Iron man do a harness for the Mq. As far as I know Mitsubishi will not sell you a harness without a tow bar, comes in a kit. Self install is very easy. There is a taped up plug under the tray that the harness hooks into, and you need to fit an earth wire to the passenger footwell. All the other wiring from battery etc is already run.
When they say you need an ecu, it's already on the car, part of canbus system. Means you can't just tap into tail lights like the old days
aquagen

Postby ROBTON on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:15 pm

ROBTON

Postby Machine48 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:50 pm

I got a rear bar from protectorstore on ebay. Very nice.

For $629 delivered why pay $550 for an aftermarket towbar? ;)

Fitted it in 1/2 hr.

Don't expect any help if TNT damage it in transit though :x
Last edited by Machine48 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machine48

Postby bobski on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:05 pm

Yeah I got my Tag off ebay too for $530ish - only issue was the instructions were for a different vehicle - only one way to fit it though! All wiring included, easy enough to wire up, it has been fine (not that I tow anything other than a single axle box trailer...).
bobski

Postby Spaceman on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:39 am

I'm buying a new MY17 and trading my MQ 15 model but club cabs having to buy auto due to bung knee. I planing to keep the towbar and wiring and install into the new ute. There should be no difference in the wiring but not sure. From what i can see the harness is in 3 parts. 1 from the battery, 2 connection in the passenger foot well and the rear harness under tray. Do in need to remove all 3 harnesses or just the one under the tray, does 1 and 2 come with the ute. They're all maked with the same date but A, B, C.. There is white plug under the tray with a dummy in it next to where you would plug in the trail harness, my mate GLS dual cab has plug in it but mine doesn't
Spaceman

Postby Spaceman on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm

What do the relays do on the standard trailer wiring harness.
Spaceman

Postby jezza-au on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Don't be daunted, it's not that hard to do and don't be swayed by the big brands - as long as it's rated to the ADRs as a block of steel to pull your shtuff. I bought a TAG / Mikano, service was good, one day order to pickup for the MQ GLS. < $150 should be a reasonable install price if you decide to have it done.
Decided to install myself, wiring is a splice in so no extra harnesses - instructions w/wiring photos here http://bit.ly/2oAqZnK

Best o luck mate,
jezza
jezza-au

Postby stubec16 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi all, I picked up a factory towbar and loom for my MQ GLS. I also grabbed a piece of loom out of the left footwell. I can't post photos so its about 25cm long with square plugs either end connected by an orange wire and one white wire coming off that goes to earth.

Mine has vacant plugs where that this goes between (in the passenger footwell). I can see a similar item in the ironman loom fitting instructions (posted above) although that one only shows the earth. What does this piece do? One assumes it takes power from somewhere and sends it down to the lights and adds an earth, but why?

Also spaceman talks about a loom near the battery? I didn't grab this. Do I need it? Where do I need to put it?

Thanks.
stubec16

Postby jacm on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi,

I just installed mine from Towbars Australia, it came with the wiring loom needed and coast around $650 delivered to Canberra. Fast and easy. It took around 3 hours (could have been quicker but its getting cold here!) but it all went in as per in the instructions. The wiring worked first time as well.

The towbar was the one with a factory rear step variety.

Cheers
John
jacm

Postby stubec16 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm

jacm wrote:Hi,

from Towbars Australia, it came with the wiring loom needed
John

John, is that type where you splice into the factory loom or was it plug and play? Was there anything that went in the left footwell or battery area? Thanks. Stu.
stubec16

Postby jacm on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Plug and play into the plug on the left hand side of tub underneath. 2 pieces of wiring was supplied. 1 that runs to the battery back to the plugs at the back with a couple of relays and a "double adapter" for the plugs, and (2) the 7 pin plug back to the double adapters. Unplug the original, plug in the new and run the wire to the battery, plug in the lead with the 7 pin plug on it. Just needed a tek screw for the earth wire and to hold the relays in place. Hopefully it makes sense but it was straight forward.

Cheers
John
jacm

Postby stubec16 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:54 am

Yes, well towbar fitted today (genuine second hand - see above). I am definitely missing one piece of the loom. There is a vacant plug attached to the loom near the LH headlight. As far as I can tell, it feeds 12V supply down the rest of the loom to the trailer harness. I ran a 12V bridge from the battery to the pink wire and it all worked - but it was far from a permanent fix.

I did get the piece that goes in the LH footwell as described in my previous post. Why Mitsi don't spend 3c fitting this I don't know.

Can anyone post what this genuine connection looks like and were it runs to please?
stubec16

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

If it's the same as the MN then it is just a fuse link between battery and wiring loom.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rmj on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am

Hi Stu

I have a 2017 MQ exceed and have installed the towbar and rear wiring loom from my old 2017 MQ. I also have the kick panel wiring loom but did not realise there was a 3rd loom under the bonnet.

Under the bonnet, Did the pink wire turn out to be the permanent power supply to the rear relays for the trailer / caravan plug. Also, did you have the mitsubishi wiring harness for behind the passenger kick panel. I have the std MMC wiring loom but not sure where it plugs into behind the kick panel Do you have a photo of where the wiring loom plugs in.

any help would be appreciated. cheers Ray
Rmj

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Hoping someone might be able to post up Genuine Mitsubishi wiring Loom instructions for a MQ Tow bar harness inc what & where the Electric brake controller wiring hooks into,
Cheers all
WUNSIE

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:55 am

Do you have genuine brake controller wiring kit?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi DibbyDibbyDJ,
No havent got any Brake Controller wiring kit yet, the wife got me a Redarc Towpro Elite for xmas and I have a Iron Man towbar wiring harness in place,
Im really interested in browsing through a genuine Mitsi towbar wiring installation diagrams showing all the plug in points, so I can compared that to the Red arc install
Cheers much appreciated
WUNSIE

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52 pm

the kit is pretty easy to fit. You do have to put a jumper wire in place between relays and main light connector at rear. And if you have a genuine towbar already fitted you have to put some extra wires in the connectors.

i will have a look tomorrow to see if i have MQ instructions available.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 am

;) Thanks Champ
WUNSIE

Postby Mcmanemin on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 am

Has anyone done this recently. I’m just installing an MTX tow bar to a 2019 triton. I have to splice the wires into the loom. Seems a bit weird I don’t know if you can buy a plug so it can connect directly. There is a three wire triangle plug under the left tub panel. Is this one that you can plug into?
Mcmanemin

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:27 am

Most wiring is plug and play these days, Mitsu Genuine and Haymen reese kits are very simple. The three pin plug you see is used by the genuine kit only, to give supply and earth to towbar wiring, but you would need to make connections to the other ends of this wire . Genuine kits have connectors to plug straight in to link this all up and to make earth and feed connections. So with out these harnesses that plug is useless
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Mcmanemin on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:31 am

No worries thanks for that. I did pull the rubber plugs out of it and try to check for voltage but didn’t get anything. Guess I’ll splice then.
Mcmanemin

Return to Electrical