Aux battery wiring to tub / canopy ?

Aux battery wiring to tub / canopy ?

Postby -AzzA- on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi new user here
I have a MQ GLS with factory canopy and I wanted to run power from the main battery to the rear tub battery box
I was originally thinking of running it thru the factory gromets at the head area of the tub
But I do have a liner in there all ready and noticed that the wiring for the canopy lights come thru an opening in the left cabin side under the rail.
Before I pull wheel arch guards off and try to find where these cables come from I thought I would ask if any one knows where I can gain access to this opening. Thru the wheel arch cover etc.

Would save me considerable time/effort vs removing the canopy and tubliner :lol:
-AzzA-

Re: Aux battery wiring to tub / canopy ?

Postby aquagen on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Come through near the fuel filler. Another option is remove a tail light and get access in the top corners
aquagen

Postby viking shippy on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:00 pm

I have run 2x25mm2 cables and 7core in split tube along the top of my chassis and then entering in the many holes in the left hand side of the chassis (but not out the holes where the tyre ends up on full lock )and further back under the passenger footwell then out the very end of the chassis and straight through the floor using cable glands and pleanty of silicone to great effect and ease...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
viking shippy

Postby -AzzA- on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks for the replies got a little side tracked lately. Been too busy
Going to have a crack at it on Saturday finally
Can you run the cables inside the chassis rails ( Just asking out of best practice sort of thing )

Funny how you get a NEW car and suddenly you worry about doing things the right way
Tec Screwed and drilled the shit out my old falcon without a care in the world :lol:
-AzzA-

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:57 pm

I've read of plenty of people doing it. Almost as many as I've read with techniques for cleaning mud out of their chassis rails.

From memory there's an existing loom along the top of the passenger side rail and I followed that until the rear wheel arch which is where I went up towards the filler tube and into the tray under the side rail.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby milhous2 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 pm

I ran my power from the main battery under the passenger side to the rear tail light, removed the tail light fitting and pulled it through into the tray there. No holes needed. I mounted my DC-DC charger and battery kit right beside the fridge on the sliding draws I fitted into the back. Attached is a photo.Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
milhous2

Postby Silvermoose on Fri May 04, 2018 6:25 pm

milhous2 wrote:I ran my power from the main battery under the passenger side to the rear tail light, removed the tail light fitting and pulled it through into the tray there. No holes needed. I mounted my DC-DC charger and battery kit right beside the fridge on the sliding draws I fitted into the back. Attached is a photo.Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Just about to do the same install with my MQ Triton. Wanted to know if you had to connect the ignition wire on the Projecta DC-DC charger?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Silvermoose

Postby -AzzA- on Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm

I didn't hook the ignition wire up on mine its not a smart variable voltage alternator on the MY16 GLS

I went the painful way took the cable up beside the fuel filler , tight bends need to thread a cable down to it and pull it thru

Mounted the charger behind the fridge slide with the volt meter can read it see it thru the side windows was only dead space there anyway.
Wires for the fridge run up the window trim at the rear and along the roof rack mount surround then hang down to the fridge doesn't get caught up on anything. Was to cheap to buy a springy cable or whatever
-AzzA-

MR GLS dual battery wiring into tub

Postby gordyMR on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 am

Hi all, looking for advice on how to run 6mm battery wiring (pos, neg and conduit) into the tub of my MR GLS.

I intend to install a battery box into the tub of my MR GLS (with tub liner installed). I am comfortable with running the wiring along the chassis but am struggling to identify a suitable way of running the wiring into the tub. The rear light cluster doesn't seem to be an option (there are no plugs that access the rear of the cluster from the tub). I have read a few posts re wiring options for the MQ but it seems these don't work for the MR.

Anyone with an MR that has been able to run wiring into their tub happy to share how they achieved it?

Thank you.
gordyMR

Re: MR GLS dual battery wiring into tub

Postby shawty950 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:04 pm

MQ so might not be the same, passenger side remove plastic inner guard, then run up between the fuel filler and front of tub, from memory there is a cavity that exits into the tub in front left hand corner.
Just make sure to put split conduit over your cable to guard against any sharp edges.
shawty950

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Moved posts to this thread which would have provided the answer to gordyMR's question, had he searched.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gordyMR on Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:33 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Moved posts to this thread which would have provided the answer to gordyMR's question, had he searched.

Thanks. If you read my post then you will have seen that I did search for the answer but came up short because it looks like the MQ and MR are subtly different in design.

Now my question is embedded in a post about running dual battery wiring in an MQ when I was specifically looking for information regarding the MR. Cheers...
gordyMR

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:10 am

Perhaps you'd like to expand on this "subtle difference"?

Nothing really has changed. Remove the LH rear light and use the same access from underneath that is used for the factory wiring. Near the top of the pocket there is a small hole/gap that can be used to run cable(s) through into the tub. You could always drill a hole in the back of the pocket and route through that with a grommet.

Alternately there is the way up through the wheel well. I've always found this route a bit more difficult, but others have used it successfully.

Perhaps you didn't notice but this thread is in the Fifth Generation section and also deals with battery cabling in to the tub. Your original post was in the Fourth Generation section which covers ML and MN models.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby aybe on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:28 am

Assuming all models are similiar.I was'nt comfortable with the the fuel filler route.The bend over the top was too sharp in my opinion.Maybe ask a professional but i doubt its something they would risk?
aybe

Postby gordyMR on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:22 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Perhaps you'd like to expand on this "subtle difference"?

Nothing really has changed. Remove the LH rear light and use the same access from underneath that is used for the factory wiring. Near the top of the pocket there is a small hole/gap that can be used to run cable(s) through into the tub. You could always drill a hole in the back of the pocket and route through that with a grommet.

Alternately there is the way up through the wheel well. I've always found this route a bit more difficult, but others have used it successfully.

Perhaps you didn't notice but this thread is in the Fifth Generation section and also deals with battery cabling in to the tub. Your original post was in the Fourth Generation section which covers ML and MN models.

I mentioned in my original post that when I removed the rear light cluster I could not see the small hole that you and others refer to - I will have another look. I also tried to find the access between the tub and the outer skin without any success (however, I did not remove the wheel well cover and attempted to locate it from within the tub). This is why I assumed there were subtle differences in the design and created an MR specific post.

I did place my post in the 4th Gen section - apologies for making this mistake. I was unable to find a way to move / delete the post.

Anyway, thank you for your informative response.
gordyMR

Return to Electrical