smart alternator

Re: smart alternator

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:30 am

This is new, Dibby?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:33 pm

Its not a smart alternator in the same sense as Pajero, as in it doesnt use a Current sensor on the negative terminal. But when you are on overrun, the engine knows this from the ecu, and ramps up the charge rate. So it is more like regenerative charging. Also, when you apply the brakes the same happens.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby becks0079 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Will I need to hook up an ignition wire to the battery box I'm putting
In the tub?
becks0079

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:37 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Its not a smart alternator in the same sense as Pajero, as in it doesnt use a Current sensor on the negative terminal. But when you are on overrun, the engine knows this from the ecu, and ramps up the charge rate. So it is more like regenerative charging. Also, when you apply the brakes the same happens.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

becks0079 wrote:Will I need to hook up an ignition wire to the battery box I'm putting
In the tub?

Not sure what you mean by "ignition wire". What you will need is a system that controls the charging of the second battery, protects your wiring and ensures enough charge remains in the main battery to allow you to start the vehicle. A simple VSR system like the one at Supercheap for about $100 would do the job or you can spend more money for bells and whistles.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Previous

Return to Electrical