Towbar Anderson Plug

Towbar Anderson Plug

Postby jimmy6 on Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi all,

New to the MQ Triton (and auto electrics!).

I just bought a camper trailer and need to fit an EBC which I have found some info on already. The camper dealer said I should also get an Anderson plug fitted to the (factory) towbar so I can run my fridge whilst towing. Anyone got any experience on this? IS there a way of splicing into the towbar wiring or do I have to run specific wires from the battery under the bonnet? I'm pretty sure I won't need a DC charger as that's included in the camper, so it's just the wiring and plug.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy
jimmy6

Re: Towbar Anderson Plug

Postby tigger384 on Fri May 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi Mate

If its any help I am in the same position but due to (cant be bother syndrome) getting an auto electrician to do it , Anderson plug, isolator and red arc brake controller supplied and fitted for $900 .

Regards

Steve
tigger384

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri May 03, 2019 5:16 pm

There's no way that those piddly little wires in the normal trailer connector can carry the current you need, so a separate circuit to the Anderson plug/socket is a must. If you have something in the camper to manage the flow then that's good, but make sure that you run your cable from the starting battery to a fuse before running to the rear of the vehicle. Install a fuse at the other end (next to camper battery) as well if it doesn't already have one.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jimmy6 on Fri May 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate your help.
jimmy6

Postby mini on Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, Chris is correct. I have the MQ GLX+ and agree, run a new circuit,(2 wires, positive AND negative) all the way from the start battery to the towbar and you won't need a DC-DC charger as the alternator in an MQ is NOT a 'smart' alternator and so does NOT reduce voltage. DO put in a fuse at the starter battery end in the Triton and another fuse as close as possible to the aux, battery in the camper trailer and or tub. I do have a VSR with an option to bypass if required. I have a small LED indicator in the dash to tell me power is still on and batteries are connected. I run a 55 litre freezer in the tub and a 40 litre fridge in the camper, all works well.

Once a month or (before and after a trip), connect batteries to a smart charger in your garage. All my batteries at rest indicate 12.6 volts or better - that's where you want to be. :)

Mini
mini

Return to Electrical