Rear facing work lights

Rear facing work lights

Postby CHV10S on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi all,

Im wanting to try what seems like a simple job of installing 2 work lights facing the rear off the sports bar in the tray, but don't really know where to start in terms of wiring. Id like to give it a go myself

From my limited understanding anything facing forward has to be connected in with the headlight circuit, however I'd like to operate the two rear facing lights independently and not from the headlight circuit.

Is this just a matter of doing up my own wiring to a relay, switch, lights and battery?

Thanks in advance, Tahny.
CHV10S

Re: Rear facing work lights

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:29 am

Essentially, yes.

You may have to look up the applicable regulations in the State in which you live. These do vary a bit but the most common requirement is that the lights can't be used to dazzle other road users. This could involve a lock out while the vehicle is running or a separate switch that is out of reach of the driver, i.e. at the rear of the vehicle.

If you add your location to your profile then members here can advise you more specifically on what local rules need to be adhered to.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby CHV10S on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at the NSW Aus laws
Cheers
CHV10S

Postby Duck on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:00 pm

I did some in QLD and as long as I either could not operate them from the cab, switch mounted at the back or couldn’t e activated whilst driving (didn’t investigate this) was ok. If triggered by reverse would be OK. Not shining into rear traffic obviously. I use the rear lights heaps.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby CHV10S on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 pm

I'm going to run the gauntlet here, successfully wired the two rear work lights up, I placed the switch in the lower console next to the 12v auxiliary socket. Works a treat :D
CHV10S

Postby JaseM on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:45 am

CHV10S wrote:I'm going to run the gauntlet here, successfully wired the two rear work lights up, I placed the switch in the lower console next to the 12v auxiliary socket. Works a treat :D

Hey CHV10S,

I'm hoping to do the same thing as you mentioned here, any chance of getting some info on how you did your wiring? Also would be great to know how you got access to the lower console to mount the switch?

Cheers,
Jase
JaseM

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:08 am

For peace of mind and avoiding excess donations to your road traffic mob's end of year party, run your switch via a relay linked to the reversing lights.

If you need lighting for camping, etc, just use appropriate lights.

Having been blinded by morons using roof mounted light Bars on country roads, I personally think all extra lights, outside of driving lights should have black out covers when on road driving.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical