Under bonnet dual battery tray issue

Under bonnet dual battery tray issue

Postby andelect on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:57 am

Just a bit of feedback on dual battery under bonnet trays.

I fitted a Projecta tray on my MQ. A quality well made product which fitted to vehicle with precision and strongly fixed.

However, Issue with the exiting loom from battery to motor. The existing loom had fitted nicely curved via fixings behind the existing battery (firewall side). No room under new Projecta tray to run loom under due to tray fixing brackets, not enough length to take loom over battery. In essence, only place for loom is now between existing and new secondary battery as per how the original loom ran.
Only solution...move existing battery forward as far as can go (20-25mm), remove any remaining loom fixings to enable more loom movement adjustment, remove taping and split conduit on loom for width of battery, separate heavy cables in the loom to allow individual cables to "flex" into the 20mm space now available between batteries, re-tape and fit individual split conduits. Without separating loom cabling, the existing loom would require at least 60mm gap between batteries, just no way I could fit second battery without going undersize battery drastically.
I hate doing cable bending adjustment to looms, can actually break fine small cables and stress connections.

I thought I would be able to butt one battery up against the other. No No.
I believe there may be other trays available where looms can fitted under the new tray.

Yep, thought my research was good…..embarrassedly not quite. Hope this assist others going down this path.
andelect

Re: Under bonnet dual battery tray issue

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:17 pm

Having seen a few MQ with dual batteries, both good and bad, there can be a concern with the engine harness contacting the rear battery when the engine rocks when accell or decell.

ARB do a really neat under chassis kit with a battery on its side, but i have seen these badly fitted with wires shorting to earth.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Re: Under bonnet dual battery tray issue

Postby andelect on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Good info Dibby

Update.
Removed Projecta Tray. With slight modification to underside bracket, the loom may fit under??
Measured space underside, and tested prior to alteration.
Made minor changes and all good. Now fits under tray with allowance for flexibility from motor movement.

Will keep an eye on any friction and wearing issues.
andelect

Return to Electrical