Upgrading head unit from 16' GLS to my17 gls/exceed unit.

Outlander android auto head unit into Triton

Postby DanAu on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips for locating a wiring diagram for a 2016/2017 Outlander android auto head unit?

I've previously installed a touch screen head unit from a 2013 Outlander. That one was completely plug and play.

Today, I thought I'd give Mitsi's newest head unit a go. The plugs are identical however I've lost the reversing camera and the mic for the hands free audio. Does anyone know of where I can get a hold of the wiring diagram for the newest head unit? Google hasn't helped so far.

Old:

Click to view larger picture

New:

Click to view larger picture
DanAu

Re: Outlander android auto head unit into Triton

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Have you tried your local mitsubishi dealer?
kitemanwest aussie

Head unit GLX+ 2017 vs 2018

Postby Seana on Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Just picked up a GLX+ 2017. Mate has an '18 and was showing me the android play, google maps on the screen. I don't seem to have that, was there an upgrade between 17 and 18?

Cheers
Seana

Re: Head unit GLX+ 2017 vs 2018

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Sun May 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi, it seems there was. I bought my MY18 GLX+ last year in August, it was built in January 2018 and it has the Smartphone Link Display Audio system with Android Auto etc. It also has single zone automatic climate control in place of the manual a/c.
I remember seeing late 2017 builds when I was looking at buying a demo, and these had an older touchscreen audio system that was different to mine. I'm guessing mine is among the first with the upgrade.

Out of curiosity, does yours have manual a/c or climate control?
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby Seana on Sun May 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Yep I think there was a change. I've noticed the antenna is in a different place; mine is on the side column where as the new ones it's a short in the front middle of the roof.

Mine has climate control. And it looks like the Apple Play thing, but not much good for me. I guess the only thing it really doesn't do is show the phone GPS, seems like I can do most other things.
Seana

Upgrading head unit from 16' GLS to my17 gls/exceed unit.

Postby Jmnsw on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Hey guys. Had a look around the forum but couldnt find the answer to my question.

I have sourced a head unit from the gls/exceed my 17 models which has the apple car play and android auto option.

The older unit has less slots in the back so when I have switched them over and turned it on it has given me a few issues.

Firstly, it states my microphone is not connected correctly. It then tells me i need to attach a gps antenna.

Also, when I connect my phone samsung s8 with andriod auto it states that i dont have a smart phone attached. I jave also tried it with my wifes new iphone for car play..same result.

Do i need a new wiring look to fix these issues. Has anyone had this same issue?

Thanks for reading.
Jmnsw

Re: Upgrading head unit from 16' GLS to my17 gls/exceed unit

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:39 pm

It sounds like the features on the my17 model are not supported, maybe give Mitsi spares dept and ask them
WUNSIE

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Sorry to say its not a plug and play thing. The harnesses are totally different. USB plugs are not compatible, and you wont have a GPS antenna on your my16. Maybe try asking you local dealer for the wiring diagrams to see if you can hash it out yourself.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Jmnsw on Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks guys. I assume it wont be an easy fix. Bluetooth and radio works so thats just as good as the other one.
Jmnsw

Postby wwwhistler on Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Has anyone tried to put a MY18 or later head unit into the MY17 GLX+? Seems like the same number and type of ports at the back, and visually seems to be identical size facia - I'm hoping it's plug and play. Neither has GPS built in - both take USB inputs and have the same steering controls (I think). Mitsubishi dealerships wouldn't/couldn't give me an answer.
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Thu May 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Did you sort this out? I'd like to do the same on a GLX+ which I think is the same.

GPS you can buy a seperate receiver, though I think the standard aftermarket ones have a standard plug which might not fit the factory (Kenwood?) head unit. You can get one that will fit from a wrecker though.

USB I think you'll need to unplug the factory USB from on the bluetooth module behind the glovebox to directly into the unit - might need an adaptor.

I don't know about the factory microphone - would be good to use it instead of installing another - seems pointless. Did you get it working?

DAB - you'll need a digital radio antenna - should be a simple install plug and play - you can get one that sticks on your windscreen.

There are three black ports on the top right of the new unit I believe that aren't on the older models - do you have anything plugged into those? I don't know what they're for.
wwwhistler

Postby Bobstan on Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm

wwwhistler wrote:
1. GPS you can buy a seperate receiver, though I think the standard aftermarket ones have a standard plug which might not fit the factory (Kenwood?) head unit. You can get one that will fit from a wrecker though.

2. There are three black ports on the top right of the new unit I believe that aren't on the older models - do you have anything plugged into those? I don't know what they're for.

1. The GPS connector on the back of the unit is a standard Fakra connection ... GPS antennae with this are cheaply available on ebay.

2. The two smaller ones are the USB ports. These are fairly standard as the Kenwoods are fitted to many other Jap cars (Toyota, Subaru, etc) so adapter cables should be available on ebay. The larger port is for HDMI.
Bobstan

Postby wwwhistler on Sat May 16, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks Bob. I bit the bullet and bought a new Outlander head unit from a wreckers. Got the GPS antenna (I think the plug is slightly different), and the 2 USB cables all the way from the input plugs. At first install the things that work are radio, USB, Apple carplay including maps (love it, main reason I wanted it), steering controls, I'm sure DAB will work with an antenna. Bluetooth connects but no audio yet, and microphone isn't connected as expected. My factory reverse camera isn't working, oddly the plugs are the same but the new unit only uses 6 wires compared to 8 on the old unit (I have all the plugs from the outlander to compare).

I'm sure I can solve those issues without too much drama, but it's throwing out the dash instruments. Revs, 4x4 indicator, engine temp, illumination etc all flashing or behaving oddly. The outlander unit has engine info displays, which of course aren't working (and I don't mind if they don't, didn't expect them too). I'm hunting for a wiring diagram of the new unit to compare to the old.
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Sat May 16, 2020 3:14 pm

How did you go in the end?
wwwhistler

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 16, 2020 5:30 pm

wwwhistler, have you tried the online manuals? Here.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby wwwhistler on Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 pm

cheers thanks. Just logged onto my wife's laptop specifically to go to that site - my work pc blocks it for some reason
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Mon May 18, 2020 12:06 pm

I tried to change the vehicle type in the head unit service menu to Triton, but that option is greyed out. Tried to update the software with the Triton version from the Russian site, but again that is greyed out. I tested if I could upgrade the Outlander software which does work. So I figure this is permanently an Outlander HU. For comparison, my MY2017 HU could easily be changed in the service menu to different models. Don't know how much difference that makes, but no point starting with a handicap, so I'm swapping to a Triton HU, there's one digit difference in the model numbers.
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Thu May 21, 2020 11:08 pm

It turns out it is a pretty simple upgrade to the new Smartphone Display Audio unit, a kenwood system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The trick is ensuring you get a Triton model. The units from a Pajero, Outlander or ASX all look the same but as far as I can tell they won't work as the particular features of each car are hard coded and you can't alter the software to a different version.

Easiest way is from a wrecker where you can grab the proprietary USB cables, the double USB dash plug too if you can, and the GPS antenna with green connector. also grab the grey connector plug (C241 from memory) with two rows of pins offset from each other as you'll need this to rewire the factory microphone. Grab the three microphone wires from the (now useless) connector from the Bluetooth/USB hands free unit behind the glove box. There's one other mic sensor wire to run, which can simply run to ground from the grey 241 connector to trick the unit as I understand.

Then just add a standard DAB antenna and you have a fully functioning unit with way better sound, picture, daylight brightness, and phone connectivity. Factory mic, steering controls and reverse camera fully functional. All up cost me less than $300.
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 am

The microphone connector is D241 - pins 6,7,13 and 14. Turns out my MY17 Triton already had that conector tucked away at the back, with the microphone wired already connected to it and to the D114 connector behind the glovebox - this wasn't shown in the wiring diagrams which show the mic going to one or the other but not both.

So for some of you the new Kenwood HU will be truly plug and play, with only some USB, DAB and GPS cables/antennas to source - a very inexpensive yet top quality upgrade.

I have some spare kit if anyone is interested - all factory - a USB cable (dash to handsfree ECU/Bluetooth unit) and five connectors for the head unit - reverse camera, microphone, power/speakers and auxiliary.
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 am

closing this thread - see here for answers
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=22345
wwwhistler

Postby wwwhistler on Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 am

See here for how to swap over
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=22345
wwwhistler

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri May 22, 2020 11:54 am

:lol: You're not a Mod yet.

But I've merged the topics since they're basically on the same subject.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Beaugsix on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Hey @wwwhistler,
Doing a similar update to my '16 Exceed but cant find that D-241 mic connector hidden anywhere.
If you still have it, can I grab the D-241 mic connector off you and I'll try a rewire through that.
Cheers
Beaugsix

Postby wwwhistler on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 am

sure - I'm in Brisbane - you?
wwwhistler

Postby Beaugsix on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:40 am

I've sent you a PM WWWhistler, cheers
Beaugsix

Next

Return to Electrical