MR Triton Brake controller

MR Triton Brake controller

Postby Smokey5159 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi all,
I have a question that I haven't seen answered yet about brake controllers in the new MR Triton.
I have a 2019 MR Triton that came with a tow bar installed. I want to install my Tekonsha Prodigy 3
brake controller that I have transferred from my old MN, but I'm not sure it's the same process that I
used in the MN. The towbar harness I noticed has a blue electric brake wire already connected to the
number 5 pin out at the plug. Does anyone know where and how I access the blue brake wire (I assume is
either in the engine compartment, or under the dash) so that I can connect the Tekonsha's blue brake wire
to it. Is there a Mitsubishi wiring harness that I need to get to make that connection with my own brake
controller?
Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Smokey.
Smokey5159

Re: MR Triton Brake controller

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm

its under the left hand front kick panel. I'm not sure if the wire is blue there though, The factory kit is redarc and it is plug and play, so i haven't had to note the wire colour.

The harness is available on its own without the controller. Its really easy to fit, so that would be your best bet IMHO
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey5159 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks DibbyDibbyDJ... the harness would have to connect to my Tekonsha Prodigy wiring, which I'm not sure it would. According to the Tekonsha wiring diagram, all I have to find is the brake switch wire that energizes when the brake pedal is pushed, get a power supply, and then run my blue brake wire back to the plug on the tow bar. Perhaps I'll do that and just disconnect the blue wire already installed in the plug and tape it off.
There is no way I'm gonna spend hundreds more on a Redarc controller system, when I have a high end brake controller already. Unless the harness is necessary - of which I'm not really convinced...
Cheers!
Smokey5159

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:08 am

Not necessary, but easier. The wiring would fit, its designed for any controller with 4 wires (+12v,earth,pedal signal in,output)

you do need another connection down by the relays at the back, you have to install a jumper wire.

Ill try and find a instruction book today and let you know
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey5159 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi again Dibby,
I'm in the middle of the Brake harness install, and it's going well.
Just one thing I want to make sure of is in the left kick panel.
The 18-way T piece connector is a little unclear and I don't want
to make a mistake.
The picture looks like you take out the lower 18 way male connector (right on the bottom of the connector cluster)
that's in the vehicle, then plug the corresponding part of the supplied 18-way T piece part of the
harness into the (existing female connector in the vehicle), then the plug that you take out of the existing connector gets plugged
into the other half of the 18-way T piece harness, completing the circuit.
I hope what I've said makes some kind of sense - just don't want to make a huge mistake. But it isn't super clear in the diagram.
Smokey
Smokey5159

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

You are correct
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey5159 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Muchly apprecated!! :)
Smokey5159

Postby Ari297 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi, new to the site I have 90% completed my genuine brake control harness install too on my MR Triton, But having issues with final single red wire install on the rear tray - (Step 17/18 in instructions), Can't work out which plugs I need to add wire too,
Can anyone supply photos with wire installed???
Thanks
Ari297

Return to Electrical