MR Triton charge cable install/warranty concern

MR Triton charge cable install/warranty concern

Postby Smokey on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi all,
I have a 2019 MR GLS that I'm migrating my towing gear across to from my old MN bus. I have recently learnt that Mitsi require a genuine harness for my Electric trailer brake unit (that I installed myself in the MN) and that I get Mitsi to install it. I'm ok with that as I don't want to void my 7 year warranty - but I don't know about my charge cable run to the anderson plug at the back to charge my house batteries in the van. I have a Projecta DC/DC charger for Smart alternators (which my MR has) located at the batteries in the van, and the cable, fuse etc needed for the install.
My question is... if I do the install myself (which to my knowledge doesn't affect any sensitivities within the car) so long as I earth to the body and not the negative terminal, will the Mitsi service guys jump on it? Or will I need to get it "professionally installed"? Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing, especially with the new MR triton?
Cheers, Smokey.
Smokey

Re: MR Triton charge cable install/warranty concern

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:34 pm

No need to use a genuine harness. It wont void your warranty if you do not. However the genuine kit is so easy to install. Its plug and play basically.

. any installation of anything is ok as long as it doesnt effect the standard operation of the vehicle. If an outside accessory or wiring causes an issue and you take it to dealer they would obviously charge time for diagnosis, but would refer you to your installer for repair.

If you are experienced with vehicle electrics its fine for you to do your own work, but the above still applies.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey on Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks again DDDJ,

Do you know if the harness comes with instructions? I'm ok with electrics, and could manage I'm sure. They want to charge me $300 to install the brake controller! (plus $200 for the harness) If the instructions are included, then I reckon I could manage the install.
I just thought that when the Service guys see my vehicle next, they may question the install of the
charging cable and threaten me. I'm new to new vehicles with warranties - I've never had a brand new car before and don't want to do anything to void it...
Appreciate your insight.
Smokey
Smokey

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:11 pm

It comes with detailed instructions. It is advisable to follow them to the T. Especially the wiring routing, and cable tie positions and the earth cable point.

Charging cable? As long as it is sensible routed and insulated it will be fine. i have seen large cables cable tied to exhaust brackets and shocker mountings. Just route it along side the brake pipes, with cable ties every few inches.

There isnt a lot they can do. Its your car. if we see something not right, we always report it to the customer and leave it up to them.

You cant void the warranty. But if you do something that causes a problem, and you then want warranty on that item they can say you caused the problem, and charge you for investigation.

For example a customer complained of wet carpet in new MR triton. When their electrician fed wires through grommet in bulkhead for CB radio and antenna lead they damaged the grommet, causing water entry.

Came back at us, calling us all kinds of names, saying they want all the seats and carpets replaced under warranty, because of mould, they were kindly told to **** ***.

My point is, you are capable of doing this, then go for it. Better you do it than have some shoddy backstreet bloke screw up your pride and joy.

when you get the kit and have any questions ill be happy to give advice. But it is pretty simple. Do you have genuine towbar and wiring?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi again,
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it..!
I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to this sort of thing, and I will deliberately take my time to double check everything b4 I progress.
I had the original towbar/wiring installed by the Dealer as part of the sale - so I guess, yes the tow bar is genuine.
That's a kind offer, and I'll certainly take you up on it if I find need.
Just to be clear on the charge cable to anderson plug routing - In the past I've included the negative from the car battery terminal in that run, which I've read is not correct. I should be getting my earth from the body/chassis and connect that to the anderson plug on the the tow vehicle..?
Can I ask your background Dibby? You sound like you know what you're talking about. :)
(On a side issue - where would be the best source of a supply for my caravan's 3-way fridge power whilst driving, considering it draws 15 amps?)
Smokey

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:18 am

Genuine towbar wiring makes it so much easier. Battery earth is not the way to go, you need a good chassis/body earth preferably a factory point. I have always done this near to the battery at the front with no problems.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am

Re tow bar wiring, the genuine wiring kit is the way to go. Mitsi have certainly refined the package when comparing the kit for my ML with the one we installed on my son's MR.

When installing cabling for heavier loads, ideal 'earthing' point would be the body end of the battery negative cable.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Smokey wrote:Can I ask your background Dibby? You sound like you know what you're talking about. :)

Hi, I have PM'd you
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Return to Electrical