Andersen plug to power compressor

Andersen plug to power compressor

Postby tigger384 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 am

Hi

I had an auto electrician install my EBC and run a separate lead to my tow bar with a Andersen plug to connect with my camper trailer to power the fridge. Cable used is a 6 B&S (74amp rating). I have a TJM compressor which I keep in the drawers in the back of the tub. According to the specs on the compressor maximum currant draw is 45amps, which I would assume is on start up then drops back a bit.

What I am thinking of doing is cutting off the battery croc clips of the compressor and fitting a 50 amp Andersen plug , so that I can run the unit from the Andersen output on the tow bar. Can you see any problems that I may not have thought about ?

I have seen some people mounting the compressor either behind the seats or under the side wings (enclosed space) of a tub drawer system. After pumping up 6 tyres the compressor unit get fairly hot, would there not be a potential fire risk in doing this ?

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated
tigger384

Re: Andersen plug to power compressor

Postby Duck on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Can’t see any problem with it. Does the compressor have a fuse ?
As long as you don’t have the compressor covered with flammables will be OK. They do get hot but most will cutout when duty cycle is reached. Of course make sure the car is running before compressor is used.
Normally the trailer Anderson will be ignition connected so the trailer can’t flatten the start battery.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 pm

if you have the alligator clips and that anderson plug is the amp rating you mention try the alligator clips direct to the anderson plug.

I would think though that the anderson plug is the 50 amp rating and the orifice will not allow the alligator.

in that case your getting pretty close to the rating of the plug if you convert the alligator to anderson (50 amp), You would need to keep the compressor wires short and close to the anderson as you get voltage drop

compressors run hot and draw lots of amps, could try could be ok occasionally but I don;t think ideal unless set up initially for this purpose
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby tigger384 on Mon May 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks for the replies. Been a bit of time since I last posted work work work anyway today I decided to get the job done and replace the alligator clips with an Andersen plug.

I don't understand what
I would think though that the Anderson plug is the 50 amp rating and the orifice will not allow the alligator.
actually means?

1) the cable from the compressor (BCF XTM single) terminated in the alligator clips was pretty small around 5mm including the insulation covering so the wire size would be maybe 8 gauge barely enough to take 40+ amps.
2) Used an inline meter to record currant draw 18 amps free running, 42 amps pumping my tyres up. Currant stayed pretty steady from 15 psi to 32 psi
3) after pumping up only one tyre unit was only warm to touch( took 1.5minutes) by the time I had done all four compressor was too hot to touch comfortably but not too bad.
4) The bit where the air hose connects into the compressor got the hottest !
5) cable felt normal (scientific I know !) So cable must be ok for load even although it looks a bit thin.
6) At 6 mins to do 4 tyres from 15-32 psi albeit just bog standard 245/65/17 I could run the compressor with out starting the vehicle, but prudence would suggest that doing so is a good idea.

Conclusion

Happy with what the results were, I can safely run the compress off the Anderson plug , and the unit doesn't get so hot that I cant permanently mount it under the side wings by the drawers.

( dyor )
tigger384

Postby srb on Mon May 04, 2020 8:39 pm

You won't have any problems with that setup as long as you've made good solid crimp connections into those plugs... Just don't listen to 4wd26 suggestion of connecting alligator clips to Anderson plugs and you'll be fine.

I've actually got a similar cheapo compressor hooked up with a dedicated 50amp Anderson in the back of our Landcruiser, it's hard mounted permanently under the wings next to draws and stays in there while pumping tyres ect. I did shortened up that pissy cable from the compressor just enough to put the Anderson plug on, you could always replace this cable with larger cable if you needed the length without the voltage drop.
My compressor gets extremely hot after inflating 4x 33inch tyres so yeah it's very important nothing comes in contact with the body of the compressor. My supply cable is 8mm2 from memory, slightly smaller than your cable, I think? but is more than enough for 45amp load. I've been running this setup for a few years without issue, sure beats having to lift the bonnet to clip those alligator clips on.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical