Which colour cable is power for cig lighter?

Which colour cable is power for cig lighter?

Postby Nick Bagus on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Hoping someone here might have the answer for me...

I'm trying to wire up my uhf utilising the 12v power source to the centre console. I'm trying to splice into the cabling that runs by the gear stick to avoid ripping the whole dash off.

My questions is, after stripping the heat shield etc, there's bloody 10 or so wires, i presumed the red wire was the power but after wrapping the red wire from UHF around each other and having earthed the other wire, i'm not getting any power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*I managed to rip the ciggy lighter out and noticed it's the blue wire. I've since tried again and now think my earth wire is the problem. Never mind!!
Nick Bagus

Re: Which colour cable is power for cig lighter?

Postby Duck on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 am

You do have the ignition on when checking For voltage?
Can use a pin with the voltmeter to probe for voltage.
I personally run power from the battery direct so can use it without needing keys or a ignition
What radio & aerial did you get ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Re: Which colour cable is power for cig lighter?

Postby Nick Bagus on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am

Duck wrote:You do have the ignition on when checking For voltage?
Can use a pin with the voltmeter to probe for voltage.
I personally run power from the battery direct so can use it without needing keys or a ignition
What radio & aerial did you get ?

Thanks for your advice. I should have it all sussed this afternoon, i've got an electrician mate coming to fix my mess :lol:

This is a bit of a temporary setup for me. I got given a Crystal Audio radio and i bought a cheap as poo Aerpro antenna from Super Cheap Auto to go with it. It definitely won't be my forever setup but i'm heading away this weekend camping with a few 4by's so will give it a run and see how it performs and decide from there!
Nick Bagus

Return to Electrical