buzzing from dashboard

buzzing from dashboard

Postby mitzi1 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi. I now have a humming/buzzing sound coming from behind the centre of the dashboard area. Seems to fill the area from the centre display unit and a bit lower. When the engine is switched off and on accessories it is quite loud and if the key is switched back on to either ignition or acc, it comes on again. When key is turned off totally, sometimes it ceases immediately, other times it keep going for up to 5 seconds and then switch off, or at least go away. Doesn't seem to affect anything obvious.
Any ideas please .
mitzi1

Re: buzzing from dashboard

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:08 pm

mitzi1 wrote:Doesn't seem to affect anything obvious.

earplugs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Does your vehicle have the Smartphone Link Display Audio system? These units have a cooling fan on the rear, it could have something stuck in it? The cooling fan on mine runs whenever the ACC power is turned on, and continues running for a few seconds after it is turned off.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby mitzi1 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:08 am

Not sure what you mean by that mate . Mine has the car/mobile phone hookup. I make phone calls by pressing the steering wheel button and asking for the number and has a visual list of my phone number list. Is this the one you are referring to?? It appears yours must be audible too.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Postby mitzi1 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
mitzi1 wrote:Doesn't seem to affect anything obvious.

earplugs.jpg

EH, WHAT? Speak up mate can't hear a bloody thing with these plugs in my ears!!
mitzi1

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Is you radio unit like this?
Click to view larger picture
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mitzi1 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Yeah mate, normally has a heap of icons on it after startup, for apps, radio settings etc and when the radio button is pressed it converts to a radio screen with stations etc on it. But I don't run the factory GPS I use a Navman
mitzi1

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm

This is the SDA (software display audio) that no_more_fg_falcon was on about
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mitzi1 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks Dib. So is this humming normal or not. I had a listen this afternoon and it sounds to me more like the hum from a relay or similar rather than a fan. I only asked about this because an expert I am dealing with currently brought it to my attention and explained it was the humming caused by the engine trying to sync the injectors as it does occasionally. I had noticed the sync going on a few times but never noticed this humming. Also had enormous difficulty understanding how a sync which would be on the engine circuit was operating on the accessory circuit with the engine off.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:26 pm

yep sounds like BS to me too.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mitzi1 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:25 pm

I can't hear it from the engine bay but in the car seems like it could be coming from as low as through the transmision tunnel under or forward of the dash. Is there a relay or hum in the area of the bell housing that could invade the cabin. If not it must be the fan we were told about.
Cheers
mitzi1

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:57 pm

do you have a catch can ?
viking shippy

Postby mitzi1 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

No mate stock vehicle as far as I know. Sounds to me like the hum/buzz you get from a stuck relay. Is mainly audible when ignition is turned on, no engine or just the key turn to accessories. Is loud from the main radio display to the tray under the dash in the centre in front of gear selector. This rules out engine as appears when accessory switch only is switched on.
Cheers
mitzi1

Return to Electrical