MR Triton Tub to Tray lighting issue

MR Triton Tub to Tray lighting issue

Postby geared on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:47 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be the bloke that joins up and asks a question straight away, but I’m desperate and at my wits end.
I removed the tub and installed an aluminium tray. I went through and figured out the wiring for the new tail lights compared to the tub lights. I left the rear bar in with sensors to keep the reverse sensor functions.

When the lights are plugged in as per normal I get ghosting on the unused bulbs and flashing of the tail light when blinker and lights are on. It also gives me a ASTC and FCM unavailable on the dash board. My first thought is earthing. I’m not able to find any issues with earthing so I run a cable from the rear light earth to the chassis. All ghosting is gone and lights work well, however, I put it into reverse and the 7.5amp fuse on the passenger kick blows which gives me transmission errors and a bunch of other codes.

I’m at an absolute lose as to why I can’t get this to work.

These are incadescent 21w globes, just your typical Narva set up.

I’ve got a trip to SA at the end of the week, so obviously a auto elec might have to come to the rescue but I’m cutting it very fine to get that sorted.
geared

Re: MR Triton Tub to Tray lighting issue

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:38 pm

. Are they drawing more than 7.5 amps? Should only draw 3.5 amps

Or maybe they are dead short to earth? This is more likely. You have probably got a fault in your wiring. Check from the bulb terminal to earth. You will find a low or no resistance
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby geared on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:. Are they drawing more than 7.5 amps? Should only draw 3.5 amps

Or maybe they are dead short to earth? This is more likely. You have probably got a fault in your wiring. Check from the bulb terminal to earth. You will find a low or no resistance

Hi Dibby

I check the fittings with lights plugged in and bulbs out. All come up as 0.6kohms so little to no resistance. Blinker, stop, and reverse are all 21w bulbs, which by my calcs come out at 10.5amps total power draw. Is it possible that when the earth is connected to the chassis (big enough cable to handle the amp draw) that it draws the correct amps and blows the fuse?
geared

Postby geared on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:23 pm

I guess my thinking is. If the fuse and ground cable for lighting and sensor system is too small to handle the halogen bulbs, would that give me this issue. And the reason I am blowing the fuse with a larger earth cable directly to the chassis is that the larger earth is allowing my lights to draw the full current, which may be over the fuse size when coupled with sensors in the bar on the same circuit.
geared

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:59 pm

The reverse lights will be on their own circuit, so 2x21w bulbs at 12v will be 3.5amps. So to pop that fuse when you select reverse you must have a larger draw, i.e. a short to earth.

So at one of the reverse bulb terminals you shoud have a very low resistance to earth, This will be your earth side.And at the other you should have OL (overload or no connection). This will be the side that 12v comes down from the reverse light switch. I suspect this will be shorting to earth somewhere near the lights

The blinkers and brake lights will be on different circuits, so will have no effect.

The sensors are also on a different circuit.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby geared on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Ah man, I am lacking some brain cells over the last two days. I just went to check your suggestions and realised that I had wired the ground for the lights into the reverse side on the light harness. Wow :? And to think I diagnose electrical problems (not 12v) for a living :lol:

This one might be a lesson for someone, check your own wiring 300 times before diagnosing the whole vehicle.

Thanks so much for the guidance and about the only thing I can offer in return is a vow to be a active member of the forum.
geared

Return to Electrical