Another MQ DRL Question

Another MQ DRL Question

Postby dyl_tm on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:00 pm

G'day!

Thanks for the help from the forum so far! I've been scrolling for a couple of days which has helped a bunch (finding the Russian wiring diagrams)

I'm now stuck and cant seem to find the answer I'm looking for in search or going back in previous threads. Any help will be appreciated.

I moved from a ranger to 2016 MQ GLXr 6Mt after a mate gave me a test drive. Holy S**t - life changer! I'm an instant convert and cant believe they have been under rated in the NZ market!

Anyway I got a model with standard head lights, no fog lights, no DRL. I want to find a way to install DRL in the fog light spots on the front bumper using factory wiring.

I have so far tested that the relay in the engine bay fuse box is wired and live 12V ready for a relay. I've tested that the plugs behind the front bumper are connected to the relay out put.

I've then tested for continuity to DRL relay terminal 2 to ground looking for activation but cant get it.

Looks like the ECU is controlling the neg signal to the DRL relay. Is there something between the ECU and DRL relay stopping this from working? Or is it that my model isn't spec'd for DRL so even though the hard ware is in the car the ECU isn't programmed to allow the output to run DRL's?

The pics show what I'm assuming is the connection of the ECU signal to the DRL relay. If not I may be missing a component in between?

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
dyl_tm

Re: Another MQ DRL Question

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:17 am

Looking at your circuit, your options may include seeing if a dealer can activate the feature or chop the relay's ground link and install a suitable control module to provide the function. Could probably done with a couple of small relays.

One relay would establish the ground whenever say, the engine supply is live, with another breaking this feed when a parking light is on.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aybe on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 am

If its any help i installed aftermarket DRL's to my MN.Three wires one goes to an ignition source.I used just a terminal(no relay)inside the box near the battery with an inline fuse.Second goes to the low beam wire,Third to earth.Ignition turns the DRL,s on low beam turns them off.
aybe

Postby dyl_tm on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:39 pm

aybe wrote:If its any help i installed aftermarket DRL's to my MN.Three wires one goes to an ignition source.I used just a terminal(no relay)inside the box near the battery with an inline fuse.Second goes to the low beam wire,Third to earth.Ignition turns the DRL,s on low beam turns them off.

Cheers guys.

We’re they the Narva 71940?
https://www.narva.com.au/products/71940

I’ve measured up with the limited info I can find on them and hoping they’ll fit my MQ
dyl_tm

Postby aybe on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:47 am

They were Narvas not sure of the model. Stedi make one as well.A fair bit of fab.work and determination to make them fit into an ARB bar foglight position.The mounting points shown in your link example were of no use whatsoever.
aybe

Return to Electrical