MR Headunit upgrade: poor FM, no AM,

MR Headunit upgrade: poor FM, no AM,

Postby dbowker on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi,

I couldn't find anything relating to this specifically, so if there is please point me in the right direction.

I recently had a Clarion FX450 head unit installed to replace the OEM unit in my MR Triton.

Since then the FM reception is considerably weaker, and AM is non-existent. I've come across a few bits on other forums from other countries relating to other cars that refer to an OEM antenna amplifier that's powered by the OEM head unit, but can be be neglected in an aftermarket upgrade.

Has the auto spark (who I chose because I thought he knew his stuff) missed something? He advised when I questioned him on it "aftermarket head units are notoriously bad for FM/AM tuning. Use an app" which i thought was piss poor.

Is there an amp that needs power over and above what a aepro loom adapter would provide?

Thanks in advance.
dbowker

Re: MR Headunit upgrade: poor FM, no AM,

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:12 am

According to the wiring diagram for global market vehicles there is a powered base on all models.

Whqt model is your triton and ill look it up in the AU manuals, and what head unit did you have?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby dbowker on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:41 am

Hi Dibby,

Thanks for that. It’s an MR GLX MY22 dual cab 2.4l diesel.
The head unit is model number DY-5M W3R69-JDP-7T.

Cheers!
dbowker

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:56 pm

That would have been an Large iPad type display? Its called an SDA (SMARTPHONE DISPLAY AUDIO)

Either units have the same out come

If you have a central roof antenna then you would need to power the antenna unit. If you have an antenna in your front A pillar then you do not need to power it
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby dbowker on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Ok thanks. It is an SDA and a roof mount antenna.

What manual do I reference to find out where to look and what to look for to power the antenna? IE behind head unit? Elsewhere?
And is it as simple an taking accessory 12v from somewhere in the vicinity?

Thanks!
dbowker

Postby dbowker on Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:04 pm

An update for anyone else that might come across this problem:

After consulting the workshop manual I confirmed the antenna amplifier is powered by pin 14 on the OEM D-209 plug. In normal operation it should have a 12v accessory feed (OEM was powered from the head unit).
https://imgur.com/a/uFEpQgY

Mine, through an aerpro harness, had 5v coming from the new head unit.

The new head unit had a seperate tail with bullet connector labelled Power Antenna which wasn't connected to anything. Sure enough this showed 12v accessory power.
https://imgur.com/a/EqxMcZ1

I cut the relevant wire in the aftermarket harness and connected the downstream end (the end going back into the car) to the tail from the head unit with
https://imgur.com/a/sOpbrUk (see new bullet connector with pink insulation)
https://imgur.com/a/kgjr6Q5 (wiring diagram)

Problem solved. Thank Dibby for your nudge in the right direction.
dbowker

Postby Sickd on Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:15 pm

Legend thanks for this info was pulling my hair out, but a few correct google searches bought me to here and exactly the issue I was having, I have a premium head units android all in one 9” and I had no voltage on pin 14 of the factory 20 pin plug, added acc 12+ to it and instant fix, I have a 21” Mr triton glx+
Sickd

Return to Electrical