MQ Exceed - bullbar lights

MQ Exceed - bullbar lights

Postby Russco on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:02 pm

G'day all.

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere; I couldn't locate it in my searches.

Does anyone have pics of where they tapped off the wiring harness to for an Ironman bullbar indicators and lights? Mine is an Exceed with the HID lights, which I believe are different to the conventional lights (??). I trawled the MQ wiring diagrams, but it speaks a foreign language to me.

Thanks in advance
Russco

Re: MQ Exceed - bullbar lights

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:09 am

Hi Russco, not sure how far back but there's a Thread on this, I used OEM Mitsubishi harness, got everything you need inc switch,relay, simple no drama Plug and Play, I too had HID,s being a GLS, saves headaches big time
WUNSIE

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Here it is:
https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=22996

If you know what you're doing then wiring an MQ is not that difficult but the factory wiring is a bit tricky with some sections only carrying computer signals, others low tension and still others high(er) amperages. Then there's the high voltage HID bit. WUNSIE, you'll be pleased to know that it's only 18,000V on startup, not 20,000V, and drops down to just 85V once the arc is established. Still enough to give you a decent kick.

The factory harness makes it easy and prevents mistakes. But, I think it's intended for driving lights and I'm not sure that it includes provision for indicator and parking light repeaters on the bullbar. For this reason, and the fact that I expect a lot more instances of this question, I'm going to detail here a basic tutorial on where to connect indicators and parking lights for a bullbar on an MQ. should work for MR as well, but I haven't checked the wiring diagrams.

I'm also going to assume at least a basic level of auto electrical competence. If your idea of joining wires is a Scotchlock, you can't use a multimeter or don't understand Ohm's Law or the concept of voltage drop, then you really should find someone else to do the work for you.

First thing is that all this information is available in the online manuals (for both Gen 4 and Gen 5 Tritons). You really just have to look. But their wiring diagrams can be complex so separating out the steps may help those who can't read the diagrams. The same process can be applied to other things, such as finding the connectors for foglights or for driving lights/lightbars, although there are some specific Mitsubishi harnesses available that make installation of these items very easy, given that some aftermarket harnesses, as supplied by driving light manufacturers, can be intended for Toyotas, which use a very different switching system and need modification to work in a Triton.

So, starting with the turn signals, we can see that we need the blue/white wire on the left and the yellow/black wire on the right. These can be found on connectors A17 and A35 respectively.
MQ_turn_signals.jpg

Connector_locations.jpg

MQ_connector_list.jpg

Then, for the parking lights, aka position lights, we see that we need the sky blue wire on the left and red on the right, on connectors A17 and A35 respectively.
MQ_front_position.jpg

There is usually precious little extra slack in the factory harnesses in these areas. You may have to release the harness further back or remove the headlight to get decent access to be able to crimp a joiner in to these lines. Make sure to cover joiners with glue filled shrink tube to ensure they stay watertight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Russco on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 am

WUNSIE wrote:Hi Russco, not sure how far back but there's a Thread on this, I used OEM Mitsubishi harness, got everything you need inc switch,relay, simple no drama Plug and Play, I too had HID,s being a GLS, saves headaches big time

G'day Wunsie, I have the Stedi harness for the driving lights; I was unaware there was another for the Bullbar parker/ indicator lamps as well?
Russco

Postby Russco on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:16 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Here it is:
https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=22996

If you know what you're doing then wiring an MQ is not that difficult but the factory wiring is a bit tricky with some sections only carrying computer signals, others low tension and still others high(er) amperages. Then there's the high voltage HID bit. WUNSIE, you'll be pleased to know that it's only 18,000V on startup, not 20,000V, and drops down to just 85V once the arc is established. Still enough to give you a decent kick.

Then, for the parking lights, aka position lights, we see that we need the sky blue wire on the left and red on the right, on connectors A17 and A35 respectively.
MQ_front_position.jpg

There is usually precious little extra slack in the factory harnesses in these areas. You may have to release the harness further back or remove the headlight to get decent access to be able to crimp a joiner in to these lines. Make sure to cover joiners with glue filled shrink tube to ensure they stay watertight.

Thanks mate. You've confirmed what I understand from the OEM manual, but picking up those wirs in a tight bunch - in a tight area - is where I'm at now. I was hoping there was an easier way than having to remove some components for the required access.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved reply from middle of quote to end.
Russco

Return to Electrical