leak from torque converter.

leak from torque converter.

Postby mitzi1 on Fri May 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Looked in the engine bay of my mr on th driver side and noticed that where the bell housing connects to the rear of the engine block.there is apparently sort of flat bit that appears to be the top of the sump pan. There is a dirty stain on the joint between the engine and the bell housing with what appears to be oil leakage on the flat bit of what appears to be the sump top. It was small and then got bigger over time and then just dried up leaving a dirty stain. Queried it at the dealer and was shown underneath the vehicle where there was black sealant squeezed out of the lower part of the engine/converter joint, no leak. Was told the leak is normal and is a result of a fluid put in the bell housing during assembly for no apparent reason, which leaks out when first driven and is nothing to bother about.
Can anyone please tell me if this true or not as to me it seems crazy and gear changes have got slower over time.
Thanks.
mitzi1

Re: leak from torque converter.

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri May 28, 2021 7:10 pm

If it has dried up and not returned then it is fine, When they Put the convertor on the input splines they use trans oil to lube the seals, and this works it way out eventually.

If it is still wet and not drying you have a leak
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Re: leak from torque converter.

Postby mitzi1 on Fri May 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Thanks for that mate. No it hasn't got any worse for a long time. This stopped after about six months max.
mitzi1

Return to Drive Train Components