MQ manual gear box issue

Re: MQ manual gear box issue

Postby Logzy on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Dealer has ordered the "kit" for the "known problem".
Detent kit which is basically a ball and spring.
The dealer told me this is what mitsubishi would like to try first then if it doesnt fix it they may have to look in the gear box.
Logzy

Postby navh on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Mine was done the other week. When I picked it up, Drove around the block and went straight back. Gears were stiff as and still piped out of 3rd. Was told they were expecting it! Going back in for a check and fix. Not happy.....
navh

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:23 am

I recently had the detent issue 'fixed' during my 30,000km service. I have just got back from towing the van down the coast and the problem I was having with 3rd gear has worsened. It popped out of 3rd at least 10 times during a 2hr drive.

Very frustrated to say the least! If it wasn't after lunch on a Saturday I'd be pulling up at the dealers to 'vent'.

Logzy or Navh did they sort yours out since your last post??

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby navh on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey mate. My gear box was apparently rebuilt by a third party company at the 30k service( 3weeks with out my car but they did give me a loan mq). Once I picked it up the gear change was stiff and felt like it was crunching gears!! called the dealer and after 4000ks of driving was able to go in and drive a brand new triton and compare it with mine with the test driver. He agreed about gears being shit. I then called mitsubishi and vented that I was not happy and after all the stuff around asked for either a new gear box or a new car!

Got a call the next day and they have approved a new gear box to be installed! Now just have to wait for it!
navh

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 pm

navh wrote:Hey mate. My gear box was apparently rebuilt by a third party company at the 30k service( 3weeks with out my car but they did give me a loan mq). Once I picked it up the gear change was stiff and felt like it was crunching gears!! called the dealer and after 4000ks of driving was able to go in and drive a brand new triton and compare it with mine with the test driver. He agreed about gears being shit. I then called mitsubishi and vented that I was not happy and after all the stuff around asked for either a new gear box or a new car!

Got a call the next day and they have approved a new gear box to be installed! Now just have to wait for it!

Wow, sounds like a crap thing to go through! Mine is driving me crazy! I have to book in a day in the next few weeks so they can have a look at mine. Not liking the thought of not having my car for any more than a few days! Loan car or not! Thanks for the reply. I'll update the thread once I know what they have to say about mine!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby navh on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 pm

dont forget to ask to go for a drive with them in your car and a new car to see the difference. Apparently the dealer has to follow the steps from mitsubishi to get things done. If it is still poping out off gear let them know.
navh

Postby JKAY on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi my GLS is plated 11 2015 though only bought it end sept, ive noticed that 1 2 3 and reverse don't feel right, when engaging it feels like its out of sync and not smooth. Is this some thing the kit would fix? Havent had thy popping out of gear yet. Anyone have this?
JKAY

Postby Logzy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Mine goes in next week for its 30k service some I'm getting the detention kit put in then, they have it there waiting for me.
I'm not expecting it to fix the problem and do expect what others have experienced since having the kit fitted.
It's still jumping out of 5th.
Logzy

Postby TMR Performance on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:00 am

It's 6 speeds.
Team Mitsubishi Ralliart
TMR Performance

Postby geni on Tue May 29, 2018 1:17 pm

I had the same issue with my 2017 MQ Triton, it jumped out of 3rd a number of times under acceleration and never felt like it went fully into 3rd. Started doing it at ~ 6000km, brought it up at the 15000km service and they've fitted the detent kit, so far so good, certainly it slots into 3rd more securely than before. Fingers crossed it remains that way...
geni

Postby Milos on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi everyone my triton mq 2017 manual. so my car slipped out of the 3rd gear about 20 times now if not more. So I decided to take it to the dealer where have the warranty. Anyway they had the car for 2 days and I came back to get the car and they said they couldn’t detect that the 3rd gear slipped out. I said yes it happens but I don’t know when it will happen he told me that in oreder for them to fix it is has to slip out while they are testing it. So can anyone help me how to get at these criminals and get my car fixed while it’s under the “warranty”!! I don’t know what to do. I told them I will put a go pro and record it so they can see it and they said yes do that. I can’t believe they just let me drive the car like that when they know these cars have that issue. Cheers.
Milos

Postby jessetriton on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:26 am

I have a 2016 mq 70k on the clock
Had the fix kit at 60k
Now is popping out again
See video
https://youtu.be/2NF4QI4Bqf8
I'm booking it in today for inspection :roll:
jessetriton

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm

It Will be getting a new gearbox then.....
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jessetriton on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I was speaking to the service mgr they have 2 new MR tritons getting gearboxes aswell :|
jessetriton

Postby jessetriton on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I was speaking to the service mgr they have 2 new MR tritons getting gearboxes aswell :|
jessetriton

Postby jessetriton on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:23 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:It Will be getting a new gearbox then.....

Is it an updated box or just new? Same problem another 60k
jessetriton

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Has updated internals. the repairs kit was good enough, but some technicians were not following the procedure, so for the time being the gearboxes are being replaced
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jessetriton on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:45 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Has updated internals. the repairs kit was good enough, but some technicians were not following the procedure, so for the time being the gearboxes are being replaced

Ahh right.
I had the detent spring done worked for a week.
Then the 3rd gear. Worked for 8 or so tnousand
No towing or heavy off road.
Hopefully a new box fixes it
jessetriton

Postby koldiron on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:54 am

Have a 2017 MQ with 58000km. I thought I was lucky with no gearbox issues but about three months ago if I touched the gearstick while in 3rd it would jump out of gear. Scared the crap out of me the first couple of times. Did it again while going up a steep hill in 3rd, went in the next day and saw the local dealer who I bought the car off. Response was basically "yep, known issues." They took some details and called me later that day with "What's the km on your car? Going to replace the box, will call you when the part arrives." So going off that, I'm assuming they will change the gearbox. Gotta say I was impressed with the whole transaction. Took about 3 minutes.
koldiron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:25 am

Yeah its a well known issue, with numerous fixes being advised by the gearbox manufacturer ( not MMC).

The latest one is a larger, more supportive bearing inside the geartrain. This entails replacing the complete gearbox. We have about 15 old units waiting for disposal. All in large boxes piled up like a false wall. What a waste of money. But they dont want them back so its off to the scrapman
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby koldiron on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:56 pm

I didn't realise it was that widespread of an issue. I'm guessing it's costing the gearbox manufacturer a bit of money
koldiron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:36 am

Its not a huge issue. There are lots we see that dont have the problem. It is MAINLY the heavier utes that do it more, but some standard units are affected.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby koldiron on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Got the gearbox replaced. The new gearbox seems to be doing its job without any dramas.
koldiron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:41 pm

That's good. All the other fixes seemed to be patch up jobs. This is encouraging to hear.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mrcj74 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:01 am

Currently going through the same issue with a 2016 manual MQ 120000 on the clock, started popping out of third gear. It is booked in at local dealer for diagnostics next week. I have contacted MMC to inform them. Their response was, "lets wait for the diagnostics". Local dealer was very accommodating booking me in at short notice before Christmas break. Fingers crossed.
mrcj74

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components