Diff/Transmission Breathers

Diff/Transmission Breathers

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Any one installed breather kits on there MQs yet,looks pretty straight forward for the diffs,but I'm new to autos so I'm guessing there is a breather on the transmission and transfer case somewhere aswell,so would I need a 4 way breather kit ?
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Re: Diff/Transmission Breathers

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:12 pm

On the previous models the transfer and transmission shared a breather. No guarantee it will be the same but if I were a betting man, that's where I'd put my money for the new model too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dunga71 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:35 am

Yeah I was hoping so the Trans looks like it's in the same spot but the Transfer
Case has 2 breather pipes according to workshop manual posted on here
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby rjkenno on Tue May 31, 2016 9:45 am

how did you go with the breathers mate? looking at doing the same.
rjkenno

Postby Proof on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Yeah also want to know more info on the breathers mate!
Cheers
Proof

Postby blackmagic on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Where did you locate a breather kit for the MQ ?? or is it a universal one >? I'm looking to do the same thing on a manual Mq any help would be great.
blackmagic

Postby Zwagerman9 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Any updates on this?

I did find this... https://billetracecraft.com.au/product/ ... ised-blue/

I have these big 2cm white factory breather on the rear diff that I'm curious if you could fabricate something out of fuel line or similar etc.

Haven't got as far to look at the front transfer case yet.

Thanks in advance.
Zwagerman9

Postby shawty950 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 am

Click to view larger picture

2 red circles show the breather points.

On the rear/xfer one, just looped the case/cavity point together, then the 2 hoses into a 3 way piece then up to the engine bay.

With the rear, the plastic breather just pops out, I disassembled mine so that the bung that goes into the housing was retained, tapped a thread into it that matches the generic breather kits push fittings thread, sealant and popped it all back.
shawty950

Postby Zwagerman9 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks for the response.

You wouldn't have a photo of the rear breather would you?

How easy was it access the transfer case breathers?

I have some bits and pieces from an Aob generic kit that I bought at 4wd show a few months ago.
Zwagerman9

Postby shawty950 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 am

I used the generic kit off ebay (pretty sure it was AOB) with the blue line and breather manifolds and the press fitting looks like this

Parts 9 and 10 are the rear diff breather assembly

I cut the male end down after prising off the cap then tapped a thread in what was left

Fitted it looks like

On the xfer/auto, I have pretty slim hands but found I had to undo the auto/xfer crossmember and lower it down a bit with a floor jack to get up there...even still it was done by feel from memory.
shawty950

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks so much for such an in detail response and the photos.
Zwagerman9

Postby Adictv on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 am

Just wondering can anyone confirm that the transfer case is closed looped? So can this just be left as is?
Also i have tried to get my fat hands around the gearbox and have found that the breather comes up to just behind the engine cover and has a little rubber cap on it.
Also found front diff already comes up to the left of gearbox breather its a metal 6mm tube

This is a 2017 mq exceed
Adictv

Postby BIGJEZ on Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

Gday guys how are we all.. i have put the breathers on the two diffs that was easy enough however i cannot for the life of me find the gearbox breather.. does the box need to come out to do this job i hope not. Yes i have used the above drawings.. anyone got any photos of the gearbox breather please.
BIGJEZ

MQ Triton Gearbox Transfer case breathers..

Postby BIGJEZ on Sun May 20, 2018 10:04 am

Gday guys how are we all? I bought my first new 4x4 last feb. And absolutely love my new MQ... I have several trips planned for this year and a couple have some fairly serious water crossings (800mm) or there abouts. This isnt an issue given i have extended my front and rear diff breathers to the top of my engine bay which puts them well over a metre off the ground. The weak link in my car drive train is the gearbox and transfer case breathers and i cannot locate them. What im trying to find out is if anyone hs done this on an MQ Triton. Plenty of stuff on previous models here but cannot find any on the MQ specifically.. if you have photos it would be greatly appreciated if you could share them please.. this is pretty urgent as i take off for my first trip next friday. Help please guys.. please...
BIGJEZ

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 20, 2018 2:34 pm

The confusion may be that you have a manual, while the previous drawings are for the auto.

Here is the drawing for the manual:
MQ_gearbox.png

The breathers are Item 3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Ejej on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:42 am

Hi more info needed thanks In picture no 3 is beeathers I have a 2016 my box is in as the photo have removed centre concole and plate can see two hoses which one should l tee into
One runs from gearbox to transfer ......other one runs toa plastic black box on the bak of box possibly vacume line ??
If I tee the line that runs from box to transfer I presume this is the one ....help needed thanks guys
Or do I put a t and take both lines to the engine bay...a bit confused thanks
Ejej

Postby blackmagic on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Just wondering , had a chat to mitsubishi mechanic about this matter. He stated that the trans has it's own breather being labeled '3' in the above photo of the manual xfer and gear box, but the gear box has it's own as well being the bung at the front top of the bell housing which is not labeled. Any help with the matter ??
blackmagic

Postby Staggs on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm about to do this to mine shortly. Have searched all over the place and general consensus seems to be that the front diff and auto transmission already have reasonable breathers installed and the transfer case vents through the auto trans. Not sure if its the same with the manuals though.

The front diff breather comes up the drivers side of the engine bay (silver metal tube) and then terminates on the firewall behind the cylinder head with a rubber breather cap. The gear box breather is a similar metal tube but comes up from the bell housing between the firewall and engine and then terminates up behind the cylinder head with the same style little rubber cap. I have found both of these on my car.

As for the rear diff I have bought a Piranha breather kit and the Piranha Triton / Pajero sport adapter which has a replacement plastic bung for the rear diff with a 90deg metal hose barb already installed so its all a bolt in affair. Billet Race Craft all have replacement plastic bungs to allow you to screw in a standard breather fittings too.
Staggs

Postby sAsLEX on Mon May 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Staggs wrote:The front diff breather comes up the drivers side of the engine bay (silver metal tube) and then terminates on the firewall behind the cylinder head with a rubber breather cap. The gear box breather is a similar metal tube but comes up from the bell housing between the firewall and engine and then terminates up behind the cylinder head with the same style little rubber cap. I have found both of these on my car.

I can find one...... can you take a picture of where these two come up? I can see a bung on the top of the gearbox that looks similar to the one for the rear diff.
sAsLEX

Postby sAsLEX on Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:41 am

sAsLEX wrote:
Staggs wrote:The front diff breather comes up the drivers side of the engine bay (silver metal tube) and then terminates on the firewall behind the cylinder head with a rubber breather cap. The gear box breather is a similar metal tube but comes up from the bell housing between the firewall and engine and then terminates up behind the cylinder head with the same style little rubber cap. I have found both of these on my car.

I can find one...... can you take a picture of where these two come up? I can see a bung on the top of the gearbox that looks similar to the one for the rear diff.

So I installed the SAAS Automotive kit to the rear diff easy enough, the rear replacement bung took some convincing to seat back in!

However after a few hours trying, I cannot get the bung out of the gearbox! I removed the front drive shaft and attempted to do this from underneath/around, as it was too far to reach down, does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
sAsLEX

Postby srb on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 pm

No easy way on the gearbox, I never botherd with mine due to the difficulty on getting that cap off and the fact that I would unlikely be going that deep for any length of time... and if you do, you're going to have worse problems like drowning your ecu.

I've been windscreen deep plenty of times but always moving and never had water in the box. Would be a different story if you stopped at that depth for any length of time.

I've got the box out at moment doing clutch so if I was worried I'd be doing the breather while the access is easy. Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby LockyerLad on Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:27 am

Mates, new to Mitsubishi with a 2021 Triton, great car so far, the safety features and the new infomedia system mind blowing, being able to 'talk' to my car is weird. ;)

I have been following the subject of diff breathers, my three previous fourbies have all had extended pipes running to up under the hood from the diffs but this new one has a plastic device on the rear diff, does anyone know what this thing does?

Paul.
LockyerLad

Postby luke.H.MQ on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has got any photos of how they connected into the 2 hoses on the transfer case on a manual?
I am about to install a breather kit and can see the plastic caps on the front and rear diffs but am unsure about how to attack the transfer case.
Also from what I have read about the gear box breather, it isnt worth attempting?
Cheers
luke.H.MQ

Postby Kiwiinoz85 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:23 pm

luke.H.MQ wrote:Hi there, just wondering if anyone has got any photos of how they connected into the 2 hoses on the transfer case on a manual?
I am about to install a breather kit and can see the plastic caps on the front and rear diffs but am unsure about how to attack the transfer case.
Also from what I have read about the gear box breather, it isnt worth attempting?
Cheers

Hey Luke, could you post a picture of the front diff breather and where youve routed it from. For the life of me i cannot see it.
Kiwiinoz85

Postby luke.H.MQ on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm

Kiwiinoz85 wrote:
luke.H.MQ wrote:Hi there, just wondering if anyone has got any photos of how they connected into the 2 hoses on the transfer case on a manual?
Cheers

Hey Luke, could you post a picture of the front diff breather and where youve routed it from. For the life of me i cannot see it.
Hey mate,
Sorry I cant figure out how to post a photo, Ill keep trying but in the mean time its a white plastic cap which looks exactly the same as the one on the rear diff.
Its in the same location as the photo posted above by Shawty950.
From the sounds of it, some MQs have come with a stock breather in a metal tube but mine doesnt have this.
luke.H.MQ

Return to Drive Train Components