Factory Diff Lock response from MMAL

Factory Diff Lock response from MMAL

Postby jerrah on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:39 pm

I finally received an official response from Mitsubishi regarding the fitment of a factory diff lock in a manual MQ Triton.

Please be advised that unfortunately the Diff Lock is a factory installation only, and it cannot be retrofitted.
i.e. Exceed automatic only.

I guess it's aftermarket air lockers only if you need traction offroad! :roll:
jerrah

Re: Factory Diff Lock response from MMAL

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:05 pm

If you really wanted to, you could buy all the parts and fit it yourself. IIRC, back in about 2008 someone here investigated that and came up with a cost of around $7000.

Or you could buy the Exceed.

Or fit aftermarket.

If they don't offer it on the model you bought then they don't offer it. No news there. The factory traction control does work remarkably well though and would cover most needs.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ag9111 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 am

Or wait around and buy a wreck for the parts
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:58 am

ag9111 wrote:Or wait around and buy a wreck for the parts

You would need to get the complete diff, all the wiring/switches, as well as the ETACS module if you wanted to do a full factory fit. Probably not a bad way to go if you want it to look factory. Depending on the cost for the second hand bits, it might well be worth fiddling around.

The other option would be to look at aftermarket stuff (possibly cheaper?). Is the diff the same as any ML or MN diff, or will we have to wait for ARB, etc, to design a new product?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:10 am

Just get the diff and air compressor.
Aftermarket switch for the dash and you can have the rear diff on any time you want.
Best bit is its a low pressure system, unlike the aftermarket lockers which use a much higher pressure. These tend to blow seals and hoses

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 am

The MQ exceeds have an E-Locker so all you would have to do is run the wires through a switch.

Exceeds only come in auto so that means a 3.917 ratio, which is perfect for manual MN owners but to put into a manual MQ you would have to swap the crownwheel and pinion over.

The Harrop E-lockers have recently jumped in priced from $1400 or so to $1730-ish. I will be looking at other options to get a rear locker into my MN.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:20 am

ag9111 wrote:Just get the diff and air compressor.
Aftermarket switch for the dash and you can have the rear diff on any time you want.
Best bit is its a low pressure system, unlike the aftermarket lockers which use a much higher pressure. These tend to blow seals and hoses

The hybrid option :D

How does this setup go with the ASC/Traction Control? Do you need to turn it off when using the locker, or can they work together?

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:26 am

aids84 wrote:The MQ exceeds have an E-Locker so all you would have to do is run the wires through a switch.

Do you think this will work with the ASC/Traction control? I have a feeling that you could end up wanting to give it a bit of grunt, at the same time as the TC is wanting to back off the power. I had always assumed that the factory setup turned off the TC when the diff lock was engaged?

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 am

BillMcQuade wrote:
ag9111 wrote:Just get the difis s and air compressor.

The hybrid option :D

How does this setup go with the ASC/Traction Control? Do you need to turn it off when using the locker, or can they work together?

Always turn the ASC off when 4wding.
You cant turn off the TC
This system works well as the traction doesnt see any slip across the rear axel so doesnt apply braking to those wheels.
When the TC detects wheel spin across the front axel it slows up the spinning wheel
Not as good as a diff lock but better than standard.
This is how I run mine

There is no slip

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:24 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Or you could buy the Exceed.
Would be tempting but all I really want is a Vinyl spec with a manual. I'd downgrade to a carpet floor (yes for a 4wd I don't see carpet as a good thing) but I don't want to compromise on having a manual gearbox.

NowForThe5th wrote:Or fit aftermarket.
At the moment I think the Harrop E-Lockers might be the answer.

NowForThe5th wrote:If they don't offer it on the model you bought then they don't offer it. No news there. The factory traction control does work remarkably well though and would cover most needs.
I haven't bought any model yet. I just found it disappointing to not be able to spec it on any model with a manual, but I'm looking for a solution.
jerrah

Return to Drive Train Components