MQ intake full of sludge at 8500 km

MQ intake full of sludge at 8500 km

Postby Spaceman on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Hey All,
I just put a EGR plate on my MQ Triton so I removed the pipe to install the plate. Well holy poo the amount black sludge in the intake blow me away,with only 8500km on the clock. Lucky I installed a catch can at the 8000 km mark. The soot at the EGR valve was less than expected but when mixed with the oil from the crank breather made a lot of sludge. I could scoop the sludge out with my finger. I plan to remove the throttle body at the intake and try to give it a good clean. I feel that a catch can may be more important than controlling the EGR soot as it was very dry. For these wishing to know, yes it was a plate with a hole and it was placed after the EGR valve before it goes into the intake manifold. Cheers and have a good one.
Spaceman

Re: MQ intake full of sludge at 8500 km

Postby jerrah on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Spaceman wrote:the amount black sludge in the intake blow me away
That doesn't sound promising. I wonder how the high milage MQ's are going? At that rate you'd think they'd be all blocked up!

Do you have any photos?
jerrah

Postby GLX11R on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Spaceman wrote:Hey All,
I just put a EGR plate on my MQ Triton so I removed the pipe to install the plate. Well holy poo the amount black sludge in the intake blow me away,with only 8500km on the clock. Lucky I installed a catch can at the 8000 km mark. The soot at the EGR valve was less than expected but when mixed with the oil from the crank breather made a lot of sludge. I could scoop the sludge out with my finger. I plan to remove the throttle body at the intake and try to give it a good clean. I feel that a catch can may be more important than controlling the EGR soot as it was very dry. For these wishing to know, yes it was a plate with a hole and it was placed after the EGR valve before it goes into the intake manifold. Cheers and have a good one.

Hey mate here is the MQ Triton Provent kit. Great unit!!
GLX11R

Postby GLX11R on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:36 pm

doesn't let me post a link...
GLX11R

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:20 pm

L200Shogun

Postby Spaceman on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Sorry no photo's and yes the Provent kit is a nice kit. After a few hundred K's there is oil around the top of the Provent filter. The intake runners are very short on the intake manifold so may be the carbon/oil mix will not harden over time. So glad i fitter a catch can and the EGR plate when i did. My Ute does work hard so maybe that causes more oil coming from the crank case breather. Why don't they install catch cans as part of new turbo diesel vehicles
Spaceman

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:39 am

Carbon sequestration?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Logzy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Are these things lined with gold or are they just generally expensive for what they are.
Logzy

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

There is cheaper' you just need to supply your own hose's easy done and cheap enough.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Catch-Ca ... Swh2xYBGpL
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby ls2cruiser on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:41 am

Spaceman, you have installed the provent catch can and EGR blocking plate with the hole in a MQ I gather. Does your engine throw any codes because of the use of the EGR blocking plate? Also has there been any change in performance because of the EGR blocking plate or any problems associated with the fitting of it?
ls2cruiser

Postby Spaceman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:53 am

No real change in performance, yes it is a plate with a hole and no it does not throw up any codes has been on for approx 7000 k's. Both the catch can and the EGR plate are easy to fit. The main plan was to keep the intake free of oil and cut down as much soot as possible. Will replace the plate when a suitable module becomes available
Spaceman

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:56 am

Thanks spaceman, we have catch cans, plates with holes, and the choice of tunes or chips . lol I have ordered a provent for my Mq and might install the plate with the hole as well. I will report back about the amount of soot I see. My triton has only done 600kms. I see tony does not have a mod for the egr yet. Maybe the new model is a bit more complicated when it come to controlling the EGR. cheers
ls2cruiser

Postby evals on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm

I have two of these vehicle. Both purchased as demos with around 1500kms on them and at that stage they already had the whole of the intake system coated with oil. I fitted Provent Catch Cans and a EGR shutoff resistors to both these vehicle. No more exhaust dirt and oil entering the intake. I prefer the EGR shutoff resistor over the blanking plate with the hole in it. No fault codes or any other issues and the resistor can be plugged out when the vehicle goes back to the dealer for a warranty issue. Now that the EGR issues are solved I need to find a way around the DPF which is another huge expense down the line if not dealt with very early on.
evals

Postby Michael.Finch on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Sky Miner wrote:There is cheaper' you just need to supply your own hose's easy done and cheap enough.

Bought one. Thought Provent; not obviously not after I pushed the button. Anyway, will see how it goes.

:-)

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Evals, what was the resistor or value on the resistor as I'm not sure if it has been sorted commercially as far as I'm aware
Be keen to know when fitted and how many trouble free kms completed with the resistor
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Spaceman on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 am

For me, the EGR module has been fitted for 5000 km with no issues at all. I'm amazed how clean the oil is
Spaceman

Postby evox on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:11 am

you could also have your egr issues sorted through tuning
evox

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Egr has got to be one of the most backward steps in the diesel evolution. Engines which have traditionally been built to higher tolerances getting exhaust crap fed back into the intake!

The improvement in oil condition between changes tells all.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby evals on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 am

The EGR shut-off resistor can be purchased as a plug-and-play unit on eBay or you can make your own. It goes inline with the MAF sensor. Only lines 4 & 5 are effected. On the cable side a 15K Ohm resistor is placed between lines 4 & 5 and on the MAF sensor side line 4 & 5 are joined together. Lines 1,2 & 3 go straight across like normal.
For most people I would recommend the commercial unit as it has the proper connectors and can be removed with ease without any changes to the vehicle wiring.
My the results so far is very good. I service all my own vehicles from new and the oil is a lot cleaner as you would normally expect at each service interval. I also noticed the engine runs a bit hotter resulting in it reaching operating temperature sooner. With the EGR blocked more clean air enters the combustion chamber resulting in much better combustion with much less soot. The reduction in soot will keep the DPF cleaner. I confirmed with when I had a laptop attached to the OBDII port logging performance data from the engine and related sensors. The data showed a remarkable reduction in the number of times the vehicle went into DPF regeneration.
evals

Postby giddyup on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 am

I think you'll find exhaust temps are higher with the egr blocked which helps the dpf passively regenerate. Part of the active dpf regen is to shut the egr which helps the dpf get to high enough temperature for regen to occur.
giddyup

Postby harmigera on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm interested in getting a plug and play unit for my MY17 MQ GLS. Which unit do people recommend?
harmigera

Postby jrs184 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm

The exhaust temp may actually reduce not having the egr work. The combustion temps will rise as there is more oxygen in the mix, NO2 will increase but exhaust may go down. Any exhaust pyrometered utes to prove this with the egr by passed or blocked ?... and with the lower exhaust temps how much is the dpf affected for regeneration?..
jrs184

Postby 91GQST on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Michael.Finch wrote:
Sky Miner wrote:There is cheaper' you just need to supply your own hose's easy done and cheap enough.

Bought one. Thought Provent; not obviously not after I pushed the button. Anyway, will see how it goes.

:-)

Mike

I am looking at buying a new Triton and if I do one of the first things i want to fit is a catch can so I was wondering how you went with the Ebay one. Did you fit it and if so what are your thoughts? are they any good?
91GQST

Postby MN Driver on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Hey guys,
found this on ebay. what do you think ? I have already done a remap to reduce soot build up. is it worth buying this as well ?

https://munji.com.au/products/4d56-mn-c ... sel-engine
MN Driver

Postby grox on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Plug in a obd reader see if your egr is fully closed with your tune . The resistor does the same thing .
grox

Next

Return to Drive Train Components