MQ Engine Failures

MQ Engine Failures

Postby DaveXT on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:08 am

I am interested in buying an MQ GLS Manual and am concerned about rumours of engine failures.
I have yet to see any evidence of failures in the MQ but would be interested to hear about any Engine issues.
I have owned a PB Challenger for almost 7 years now and have had a few warranty claims but no engine issues.
Thanks in advance for your replies. Dave
DaveXT

Re: MQ Engine Failures

Postby murwullambah on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi Dave, i too have recently sold my PB challenger with 200,000 kms on it still going strong, i now have MQ GLS Auto.
I think you are prety safe with anew MQ, new technology engine with 5 years bumper to bumoer warranty for a decent price cant really fault it. I would say it is a bit more pokey than the 4d56 although my challenger went well, your money your choice, or you could spend 55k on an overpriced ute. Good luck whatever you do.
murwullambah

Postby Rain on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:28 pm

My MQ has nearly 80,000kms on it and still going very strong. Just make sure you install a good quality oil catch-can and you are set.

Cheers.
Rain

Postby Stazza_Brendan on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:38 am

The engine in the MQ is from the same family of engines that have been out since 2010 in other Mitsu cars. Not hearing anything bad about them.
2016 - Triton Exceed. Titanium
Stazza_Brendan

Postby murwullambah on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 pm

murwullambah

Postby Merts on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:10 pm

L200Shogun wrote:
glowplug wrote:Hi rain
Any recommendations for a catch can? Does this void warranty?
Cheers

According to a post elsewhere. Yes

According to consumer protection laws, no.
Warranty can only be voided if a modification causes, or at least contributes to, a failure.
They can't refuse to honour warranty obligations just because the vehicle has been modified.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Subject: The new 2017 Mitsubishi Triton gets the job done

JKAY wrote:My MQ is now 4 months since delivery, built nov 15.
A side from the interior lights not working , wipers leaving lines on the windscreen, passenger seat bolster rattling like an earthquake, gearbox that feels like its got a worn clutch and doesn't engage smoothly, a rear window that has something inside the privacy glass when made, weird lag issues on certain days, steering when on full lock has a clunk in it and clunking in the suspension when driving around roundabouts and of course vibrating HID headlights, which are so annoying it must be a safety hazard.
MMAL needs to address these things, but it seems when ever some one takes their ute in, its always comes back as normal operation of the vehicle.
Not good enough MMAL, forget the fancy radio and dark chrome grille, fix the issues surrounding the suspension, gearboxes, vibrating headlights and seat rattles.
I punted a D40 Nissan for this ute, bought 2007 197000 kms not an issue when something was a miss, seems MMAL are not interested in retaining and caring for their customers.

Sounds like his engine hasn't failed yet though.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby paul_summer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am

Hi. Have there been any recent reports of 2.4l engine failures recently? I heard a horror story from a local mechanic, but I can't find any evidence online if engine failure is common. He said the 2016 engine was overheating prior to its failure.
paul_summer

Postby jerrah on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:40 am

I've had my 2016 MQ engine uncomfortably hot (over 100c on the scanguage) driving for hours on end in sand but it's come down when idling stopped (I always wait for it to cool down before shutting it off) and I've never had issues with the engine. I've only heard of one MQ failure and that was due to a disconnected radiator hose clamp.

I do about 20,000km per year and other than a radio fuse it just gets logbook servicing.
jerrah

Return to Drive Train Components