MQ TC Lockup - Wholesale automatics VIC - member help

MQ TC Lockup - Wholesale automatics VIC - member help

Postby shawty950 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi, Wholesale automatics have not done a TC lockup for the MQ yet...I need one but am in Brisabne....had one on the NT Pajero (and loved it) and as some sand driving at Fraser has just shown (got it hot enough once that it started auto changing down to protect itself) need it sooner rather than later.

Here's the proposition, they need a donor vehicle for 2 days at Bayswater in Vic, and "only" pay for the kit itself..not the fitting or diagnostics needed to calibrate/tune it.

Here's the email I got from Jono

Generally, we need the vehicle for a couple of days.
The customer pays for the Lockup kit only ($565) however the work needed to fit it and all the testing and diagnostics are free.

Now personally I think they should do more for the fact they are taking ones car away for 2+ days and still charging the full price for the kit so that they can then on-sell and make money off of it....but anyways...

As I need this sooner rather than later, am prepared to offer some compensation for someone to be my proxy guinea pig and get the install done and the program sorted for the MQ.

PM me and we'll "talk to a man about a horse"

Cheers Shawty
shawty950

Re: MQ TC Lockup - Wholesale automatics VIC - member help

Postby Rusty Iron on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:17 pm

If I wasn't in Perth I'd leap at the chance Shawty. I'm very keen to get one as well. I actually had one ordered in June or July last year because I was told at that time they had one to suit. When the guy went to fit it, luckily he looked at the placement of the switch first and found it was the wrong one to fit the MQ dash. So he rang Wholesale only to be told by someone else there that they didn't actually do a kit for the MQ yet and it was sent by mistake. Not Happy Jan.

I've had the same response as you to a query I sent to Wholesale. "Not at this point but we will have shortly. We have the kit but need to fit one in house to complete fitting instructions and testing. Hopefully in a couple of months"

Not holding my breath....
Rusty Iron

Postby shawty950 on Sat May 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Alright, at the point where I will pay for someone to get this fitted.
Costs less than not working for a week and going on a road trip to Melbourne.

PM me if you are interested as per 1st post, and if you want to go ahead I will pay Wholesale the install fee, all you have to do is do without your car for 2 days and u get a free TC lockup kit.

Shawty
shawty950

Postby shawty950 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Anyone for a free TC lockup?

I will pay for it...you just need to leave your car there for 2 days and you get a free lockup kit installed
shawty950

Postby Twinsmp4me on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I am interested. If offer still available. New to new triton net. Can you advise how we communicate? Currently living in Victoria not much longer moving in ten or so weeks, self employed and have plenty of time to spare as I am cutting back on work due to move. Bayswater is not too far for me to travel to. Tried to ring wholesale automatic today but closed so if the benefits of module and negatives could be explained it would be appreciated.
Twinsmp4me

Postby Twinsmp4me on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Having spoken to Shawty950 I am now going ahead with the TC lockup. Which is being installed on Monday 24 and Tuesday 25 July 2017. Having spoken to Jono at Wholesale Automatics I am considering having the Nomad Heavy Duty Valve body installed. I am new to the site and this is my first question posed on the open forum so I apologise if it is in the wrong place. But has anyone fitted one to their MQ and is it a good modification to have. I am concerned on steep hills off road that the automatic will run away especially with bigger wheels. This modification and the TC Lockup is not something I considered doing prior to responding to Shawty950 so I really haven't had time to do much research. I only responded to Shawty950 after having done basic research on the TC lockup after reading his post l thought if Shawty950 is willing to pay and if it helps someone out why not. Now I am looking at spending $1,700 and want to know if it is really needed or is first gear low range good or adequate for off-road use especially with bigger tyres. I previously have only had manual 4wds so automatics are new to me and I have not really had mine off road yet but I tend to. So any advice on the effect of bigger tyres on gearing and down hill braking and the Nomad Heavy Duty Valve body on a MQ triton would be appreciated.
Twinsmp4me

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I think that the whole point of this thread is that Wholesale Automatics have not done an MQ yet and want one to be able to work out what they have to do. Thus, there will be no-one out there with one of these on an MQ - you will be the first.

I do know that a few members have had this mod done on MLs and MNs. Generally the feedback has been positive, with the exception of one member who had one of the very early ones and experienced some problems until the technology was sorted out. So, Wholesale Automatics are known to have that experience and that should flow through to the product they're developing for the MQ.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the downhill running away thing. I currently have a diesel auto and engine braking on that is better than the petrol manuals that I had before. Even then just an occasional quick dab on the brakes was really all that was necessary and I've done some pretty hairy downhill runs. The MQ should be even better with much lower low range gearing.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Torque convertor lock ups do just that. They allow engine braking when doing steep descents. If you come to a complete stop the engine will stall (you need to turn it off, same as stopping a manual and putting the clutch in).

Nomad Heavy Duty Valve body is like a "shift kit" it will make the gearbox shift in a sportier fashion.
L200Shogun

Postby Twinsmp4me on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Now for the 5th I understand that no one has the MQ Lock Up but I did wonder if anyone had fitted or considered fitting the Nomad Heavy Duty Valve body which is another modification altogether to a MQ. You have answered my question about the vehicle running away downhill though which is my concern. Maybe I will just have the Lock Up fitted and not fit the Nomad Heavy Duty Valve body as its not needed. I just thought if the vehicle is at Who,sealed Automatics for two days I might as well fit the Nomad Heavy Duty Body which they advised can be fitted at the same time but $1,700 is a lot to spend if it is not needed.
Twinsmp4me

Postby shortSteve on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:10 pm

I could be wrong, but isn't the MQ 5 speed auto the same as what is in the pajero? And also the same as previous gen hilux, prado, fj, dmax etc? Or is the issue vehicle specific tuning?

sS
shortSteve

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm

shortSteve wrote:I could be wrong, but isn't the MQ 5 speed auto the same as what is in the pajero? And also the same as previous gen hilux, prado, fj, dmax etc? Or is the issue vehicle specific tuning?

sS

I too thought I read some where that its the same Aisin 5 speed Trans used in the 100 series Landcruiser, Hilux,
If it is, why then does it not have the hill descent like my 4.0 v6 hilux where as going down an incline, touch the brake pedal and it automatically drops down a gear for increased engine breaking, perfect when towing.
Is the trans computer in the MQ able to be reprogramed to activate this feature or is it specific to Toyotas
WUNSIE

Postby shortSteve on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm

WUNSIE wrote:
shortSteve wrote:I could be wrong, but isn't the MQ 5 speed auto the same as what is in the pajero? And also the same as previous gen hilux, prado, fj, dmax etc? Or is the issue vehicle specific tuning?

sS

I too thought I read some where that its the same Aisin 5 speed Trans used in the 100 series Landcruiser, Hilux,
If it is, why then does it not have the hill descent like my 4.0 v6 hilux where as going down an incline, touch the brake pedal and it automatically drops down a gear for increased engine breaking, perfect when towing.
Is the trans computer in the MQ able to be reprogramed to activate this feature or is it specific to Toyotas

I have only done about 1000km in a loaner MQ, last time was a couple of hundred km's last week over 2 days, it was a GLX auto, and definitely does drop back a gear on descents if riding the brakes. In fact, on the shorter descent all I did was tap the brake for a shift into 4th from 5th, a longer hold had it back to 3rd. Saying that, my PC won't drop back gears if the brakes are actually slowing you down effectively, like coming up to traffic lights on a descent. If I "ride" the brakes without washing off speed, it downshifts right back to 3 or 2 quite quickly.
sS
shortSteve

SUCCESS

Postby shawty950 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Well it's in and working well....thanks to Twinsmp4me going ahead with me paying and him being the guinea pig there is now a TC lockup for the MQ Triton.

The auto in the MQ is the same A750F / V5AWF that is in the gen 4 pajero, which is the same as the 100 series cruiser, prados, d-max etc....

I had my TC lockup that I pulled out of my NT paj before I sold it...so it went in this weekend and wired up with custom small switch in the ignition barrel blank (Exceed)

No modifications are needed to the unit.

I used it extensively (including around town) in the Paj and a quick test run in the triton...it may even behave better in the MQ.

One thing to note, I use mine in sports mode exclusively using the flappy paddles, and this happened in the pajero as well...if you use the lock up and after switching off, if you dont get the TC lockup to slip (ie by giving it a stab of throttle to get it to slip and raise the revs compared to road speed) before pulling up to a stop, it will automatically change from 2nd down to 1st at about 25-30kph...it will then not manually change up to 2nd until you hit the same 25-30kph on acceleration.
This doesn't appear to happen if in normal auto mode.

In use, I personally think the truck is faster with the TC locked up as it uses the torque a lot better instead of unlocking and raising the RPM and slipping...

Anyways, it's done....from previous experience with the pajero, it will be as awesome on the sand and around town will be using as frequently as I did in the pajero. Engine braking is the same as what a manual would be...to say I am happy is an understatement....

Anyways, for those that pm'd interest...it is now available...the install is straight forward and well documented...and Jono at wholesale, while hard to get hold of via email sometimes, is awesome to deal with and knowledgeable.

Any questions or clarifications...have at it.

Shawty
shawty950

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Wouldn't you be flogging the individual clutch packs on the gears by keeping the TC locked most of the time?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components