Diff Howl

Diff Howl

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Has anyone here experiencing a Howling noise right on 80kph under a slight throttle, back off and its gone, get back into it and it comes in @80kph, and its gone by 82-83kph.
Mentioned it to the service manager when I took it in for its 12mth service and I was Informed Mitsubishi know about it and should have a fix by May/June this year.
Just want to know if someone has had the fix carried out, and more importantly what is the fix and is it rear axle related.
Cheers
WUNSIE

Re: Diff Howl

Postby Saliya on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Wunsie I can confirm the howl at 80km/h. Doesn't matter whether it's on 2h or 4h, in fifth or fourth gear. It has to be from the prop shaft as it only howls under load and regardless of gear. Didn't notice it until recently but now I notice it everytime.
Saliya

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Dropped into the dealer where I raised my concerns regarding vibration on take off as well as the howling noise and apparently mitsubishi did a fix which involved the tail shaft, but that was withdrawn as it didn't solve the problem
WUNSIE

Postby Saliya on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks for the update Wunsie. Looks like back to square one. I can live with the howl in mine as I don't get to drive on many 80km/h zones. I run on 4h constant to address the vibration issue. Seems to help a lot.
Saliya

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

No problem mate, if you happen to here of the fix, be sure to let us know,
Cheers ;)
WUNSIE

Postby Sid3169 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Just noticed the other day mine has same noise comes in at 80km but seems to disappear after you pick more speed. Happens under light load. Pretty sure it is a diff gear noise. Might contact dealer and ask about it. Mine is manual and travelled just on 7000km.
Sid3169

Postby Sid3169 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm

WUNSIE wrote:Dropped into the dealer where I raised my concerns regarding vibration on take off as well as the howling noise and apparently mitsubishi did a fix which involved the tail shaft, but that was withdrawn as it didn't solve the problem

Hi wunsie. About your vibration on take off is your car manual or auto. Mines manual and gets a slight vibration in 1st gear on take off. It's 100 times worse when towing my camper trailer which weighs about 1200kg.
Sid3169

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi Sid, mines auto and yes when you accelerate on take off with a bit of urge you can feel it, and as I don't have a towbar I couldn't tell you if its any worse. Mine only had 150km or so on it when I noticed it, and its now got 11000km not getting any worse. Hey Sid just out of curiosity have you checked the level of the oil in the rear diff as Mine was way down from day one.
But I do remember back in 2008 or so, my then 1 year old 2wd Hilux 4.0 v6 auto developed the exact same vibration my Triton has had since new, any way cut all the bull shit out, took the Hilux in to the dealer where I always had it serviced, one of the Techos I trusted came for a run, done a few hard take offs from a standing start he felt it through the seat, went back he ordered a NEW CENTRE BEARING unit for the two piece tail shaft, few days later in it went, NO more vibration. ;)
And yes when I moved house I had a trailer on loaded up and the vibration on take off was so much more pronounced.
Last edited by WUNSIE on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WUNSIE

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Sid3169 wrote:Just noticed the other day mine has same noise comes in at 80km but seems to disappear after you pick more speed. Happens under light load. Pretty sure it is a diff gear noise. Might contact dealer and ask about it. Mine is manual and travelled just on 7000km.

What your experiencing is what I am down to a tee, had an old HQ Holden with 200,000 miles (not Kilometres) went to the wreckers got another centre for the ol girls banjo diff, new oil all fixed.
Told the techo @ Mitsubishi it sounded like an old worn out diff in a clapped out HQ, and it was like (whats a HQ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
WUNSIE

Postby Sid3169 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 pm

WUNSIE wrote:Hi Sid, mines auto and yes when you accelerate on take off with a bit of urge you can feel it, and as I don't have a towbar I couldn't tell you if its any worse. Mine only had 150km or so on it when I noticed it, and its now got 11000km not getting any worse. Hey Sid just out of curiosity have you checked the level of the oil in the rear diff as Mine was way down from day one.
But I do remember back in 2008 or so, my then 1 year old 2wd Hilux 4.0 v6 auto developed the exact same vibration my Triton has had since new, any way cut all the bull shit out, took the Hilux in to the dealer where I always had it serviced, one of the Techos I trusted came for a run, done a few hard take offs from a standing start he felt it through the seat, went back he ordered a NEW CENTRE BEARING unit for the two piece tail shaft, few days later in it went, NO more vibration. ;)
And yes when I moved house I had a trailer on loaded up and the vibration on take off was so much more pronounced.

No haven't check the diff level but might check it as a precaution. The vibration does feel like the same as stuffed centre bearing on a VB-VL Commodore etc similar to yout hilux. The diff noise in mine only just there. Had to turn the radio off to hear it but it is there. Kind of like your HQ. Maybe I will ask my dealer if he knows what a HQ is lol.
Sid3169

Return to Drive Train Components