MN Triton small "shunt" on braking

MN Triton small "shunt" on braking

Postby feckinirish on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:20 pm

I have a 2014 MN Triton that whenever I brake and come to stop I feel a small "shunt" almost immediately. It feels like having a trailer on the back where the trailer part on top of the ball moves forward when stopping. This obviously happens when I don't have a trailer hooked up. ;)

I've had underbody bushings checked for anything untoward and there are no issues there. It does not happen though if I put it into Neutral before I come to a complete stop.

Any ideas what it could be? :?: :?:

Oops, just noticed I posted this is the wrong model Technical section. :oops:
feckinirish

Re: MN Triton small "shunt" on braking

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 am

Seems to suggest something like the torque convertor lock up clutch is sticking on or valve not operating properly.

Autos are sensitive to fluid condition and level.

Have you checked the level and how long since a transmission service?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby feckinirish on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:03 am

It had a full service 6-8 weeks ago. It was the 75k service so I'm not sure when the transmission is serviced according to the schedule.
feckinirish

Postby Duck on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Did it start happening after the service ? Or was it happening before the service ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby mitzi1 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:59 pm

I have a 2019 Mr and it does the same thing. Never really thought about it, I just assumed that it was movement in the rear suspension. Interesting though. Could it be brake proportioning where the back brakes are released to stop lockup as the front brakes do the final braking and let the back brakes off, this would be done by the ABS system. Just a thought.
I had a ute of another brand which tended to strange things and make strage noises in the back end under braking. The back end is leaf spring and drum brake which is a primitive system.
Cheers
mitzi1

Postby mitzi1 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Mate I noticed it doesn't happen if you put it in neutral . I have noticed that it happened if pretty much rolling up to a stop sign under very light brakes. If I approach at a fair speed and then brake firmly to a stop it doesn't.
I now reckon it's just caused by the box changing into first gear and causing a bit of a jolt as it pulls you up quickly.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:54 pm

Check the upper and lower control arm bolts for tightness.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gartam on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:53 am

Mine does the same thing. There is a little shunt when coming to a stop and a shunt when you are taking off. Mine started after putting a bit to much power through it with my tunes. The trans now slips when you smack it back a gear and boot it and on hard launches. I'm now in the process of sorting out a rebuild for the trans that will hold a lot more power with a stage 2 valve body, bigger turbo, intercooler.
gartam

Postby mitzi1 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am

Longranger1 wrote:Check the upper and lower control arm bolts for tightness.

Mate I've been watching mine carefully this morning and trying to induce the "shunt" at every corner and traffic light. Three times I got it to do it. It felt like I as getting a smooth stop, then right at the end it was as if something gave way slightly and the front end dipped. .I checked the tires which are pretty new, only done a few thousand on bitumen and there is no sign of any wear as I would have expected except for some slight scuffing on the outside shoulder as I would expect from a front tyre being cornered. Does this still seem like control arm bolts. If I back off halfway round a corner it tightens the turn up a bit but any vehicle does with weight transfer to the front. Absolutely no play in the steering wheel.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:31 pm

A mate's Triton did exactly as you described and nearly drove him nuts trying to find out why.

A loose control arm bolt was the culprit. Just a suggestion. An internally failed front shock can make weird clunks as well but that is rare.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:48 pm

An over tight control arm bolt can do the same thing. Causes the joint to bind up and then clunk as it releases. Took me months to find it. Usually more prevalent when the wheels are turned in one direction.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mitzi1 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:21 pm

The tight bolt could be the one. It has always had me puzzled why in the morning at start up it sat with the front end up and after I took off and stopped at a few corners the front end had dropped quite low and pretty much stayed there. If I parked facing down hill when I took off again the front end was up again for a while.
Could be tight bolts holding the front down after braking, and as the weight of the vehicle hangs on the handbrake when parked the front rises. Would also explain why if the front has been up it comes down again after driving on freeway again, wind loading forcing front down. it would take a hell of a tight bolt to hold against the springs, but possible I guess. Will do until a better explanation comes along. Works for me.
Thanks.
mitzi1

Postby mitzi1 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Geez we've hijacked this thread totally. My apologies feckinirish, but it may be of help to you too I hope. Was just out for a bit on a nice warm day and as I braked at a medium light pace at a traffic light , just as I came to a stop with weight stil on the pedal, there was a sound from the front right corner and the front of car just let go and dipped, staying down while foot on brake, rose bit when released the foot and then replaced it.
Was an unusual sound but it sounded like something stuck was letting go. I'm putting my money on a sticking shocky which is getting worse and now getting noisy. There's another one to throw in the ring fellas.
Actually just looking under the front, is this front end strut or shocky. Looks more like a strut without crawling under after taking a wheel off.
Cheers.
Just add to that I ha d a good look and the front right strut is damaged and has been for a while which is why I have been having my problem for a while. Only had the vehicle for 6 months and it's been like that for most of the time apparently.
Anyone have any figures for body height for these, usually measured under the wheel arches please as well as front ground clearance under the bash plate?.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Return to Drive Train Components