2019 4wd problems

2019 4wd problems

Postby torz93 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Bit of a long story but hoping to get some answers or advice.
I have a 2019 triton and have had nothing but trouble with the car engaging in 4wd. First time lead to me blocking an entrance on to a beach, signs were we weren’t moving, tyres not spinning and then noticed the lights flashing to say it hadn’t engaged. Took it to our local dealer and they said it was the switch and actuator, bash plate had impact damage therefor not a warranty job.. got a second opinion and was told just the actuator.. back to dealer and yep it’s just the actuator but still not warranty. Got it replaced. Happened again on the highway!!! Took it back, nope it’s the actuator, impact damage.. again. So replaced again and put a better bash plate to try and protect it better.
Has been great since until a road trip, no off road driving, on the highway a bunch of service lights flashed up, transmission service, 4wd service and bws service required.. it wasn’t due for a scheduled service and continued to flash until the car was turned off and back on but NO 4WD!!! Took it to the mechanic actuator is ok but yep no 4wd.. he has no idea and it’s closed now until the new year.. just tonight the car has been randomly setting in 4wd.. but setting I mean lights not flashing and it sets in either 2wd or 4wd. It does seem to take longer than usual to engage or at least the lights settle but it is engaging.. or saying it is.

Long drawn out story but would love some tips or advice. Regretting buying a triton but stuck with it for the next 4 years
torz93

Re: 2019 4wd problems

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:01 am

Can we get some details about your vehicle? Exact model please, and do you have easy select or super select 4wd?

And what accessories do you have on the vehicle?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mitzi1 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Mate I ahve a 19 mr as well. Had problems with funny sounds coming from the front end for a while. Dashboard lights and indicators worked and it switched in and out of 4wd just fine. Best way to switch in and out of 4wd is to stop the vehicle, put it in neutral and turn the dial. If it doesn't drop in just change from drive to reverse a couple of times or turn the dial and just roll it forward and back a slight amount, like half a wheel turn. It will drop in. This method has worked fine in any 4wd I've owned. Had a problem with my front end and the bloke from Mitzi said they'd had the front diff out and showed me where the actuator was. I assume he'd fixed my problem while attending to another one. So you're not the only one who's had a front diff problem . This may be a known problem . The actuator is worked by the vacuum pump, so if the vacuum pump is a bit weak or has a problem that could lock it in 4wd caused by lack of vacuum. If the pump kicked in again it would take it out.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:46 am

If the problem was caused by a weak vacuum pump then people would be complaining of loss of power and brakes too , as the same vacuum pump supplies the brake booster and variable geometry turbocharger.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:54 am

Kinked or crushed vacuum hose/pipe?

Dodgy electrical connections at actuator solenoids?

Obstruction in actuator solenoid valves?

I'd have engine running, check that there is vacuum at the valves. Then take hoses off on actuator side and check for vacuum. There should be vacuum on one or the other depending on your 4x4 selection. With vacuum on a particular solenoid, you should see it change when you take off the electrical plug.

You've just got to trace from the known good bits.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzi1 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:36 pm

INteresting Dib. I did have an intermitently hard brake pedal and lack of turbo pressure for a while too. Interesting car this.
mitzi1

Return to Drive Train Components