Reverse gear sticking

Reverse gear sticking

Postby Mickello on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:32 am

Hi, Has anyone else had the problem of reverse gear sticking? It's now happened three times in the past month. Seems to be random. When I shift out of reverse and into first, I still go in reverse. To get into first I have to turn off the motor, start in neutral, and then it seems to be fine. Is this a known issue? I have read on here aboutgearbox issues, is this another one? The first time I thought it must be me, but three times? I don't think so. MQ Triton 2016.
Thanks
Mickello

Re: Reverse gear sticking

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:34 pm

Have you been through deep water? I have seen Corrosion in gear selector mechanism under the lever.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Mickello on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:09 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't been in any water,but I'm the second owner so that's possible. Is that something easily checked out? Cheers
Mickello

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Remove the gear knob and then the boot by pulling up. remove the felt and that will let you get to the outer boot. Undo 6 screws and lift up outer boot. Top plate is held on by 6 x 12mm bolts.. remove these,and prise up the gear cover.. Should be stuck with sealer.

BUT WARNING... MAKE SURE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL BEFORE REMOVING LEVER, AND DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO TRY TO SELECT GEARS WITH THE 6 BOLTS UNDONE. IF YOU DO YOU COULD ACCIDENTALLY SELECT A GEAR AND MOVE THE LEVER TOO FAR AND WILL NEED TO REMOVE AND COMPLETELY STRIP THE GEARBOX TO REFIT IT.
:o :o :o :o
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Return to Drive Train Components