MQ catchcan

Re: MQ catchcan

Postby coughy on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:45 pm

i have a pb challenger but i have found since i started using semi syn oil i dont get half as much oil blow bye now
just a thought try it u fellers with this oil after 1000kms and see if it makes a difference
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ls2cruiser on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:53 pm

We cant use semi synthetic oil in the Mq tritons. The PDF filter requires special synthetic low ash oil.
ls2cruiser

Postby coughy on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:20 pm

you can get semi low ash
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Provent 200 Buzz

Postby jerrah on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 am

Has anyone with the Western Filters Provent 200 kit noticed a buzzing through the dash? I'm wondering if being mounted off the brake booster it's amplifying the engine noise. Gets louder with more RPM but can't be heard at idle or with the window down.

Edit: With some googling apparently the buzzing noise is the "safety" valve in the unit itself. Buzzing has been driving me nuts, i might see if I can mount it further away so I can't hear it!

http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11902&start=180
With the Mann Hummel Provent 200, you will get a bit of noise, as it has a diaphragm built into it.
On the Hiluxes, you will get a bit of noise, especially if you mount it over the driver's side, where I reckon, it should be mounted.
This noise is normal, and you will here the noise more over the driver's side.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2109147-Mann-provent-200-on-s50-swap-weird-noise
When the car is running, the catch can buzzes...quite loud. It's really odd. If I pinch one of the lines (cut off flow) the buzzing stops.
jerrah

Postby Rain on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:07 am

The amount of oil that you see will depend on how the car is driver. My two tritons see at least 10-12hrs of engine operation daily and also carry heavy loads most of the time. The rubber tube itself is about 600-700mm and it fills up with oil very 3000kms or so.

I too got a buzzing noise after installing the oil catch can and honestly thought it was something buzzing behind the steering column. However, the buzzing sound has now gone away and mine has done around 16000kms now.

Cheers
Rain

Postby jerrah on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 am

I've seen a few suggestions on the forums for HPD (High Performance Diesel) catch can's over the Provent 200. I like the neat installation of the HPD and it doesn't have a tap dangling under the car.

This thread I found on another forum seems to suggest the Provent catches up to 2/3's more than the HPD in one test and the other test found the provent running after the HPD still managed to catch an oil mist.
jerrah

Postby koldiron on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Guys. Great forum. Have learnt lots browsing the various topics. Have not yet picked up my MQ Triton but will in a week or so. My first new car.
The Provent seems to be popular but does anyone have any experience with the HPD type and could they recommend one or the other. From what I can tell they are roughly the same price but seem to work on different principles.
Thanks again for some of the great advice on the forum
koldiron

Re: MQ Engine Failures

Postby jrs184 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 pm

murwullambah wrote:Over 500 kms i wont even get a drop.

Takes a while to wet your pipes and saturate the filters before filling the can, then it is a steady stream of oil and condensate. BTW the can is not illegal as long as it is not constantly vented to air. Those Cans with a tap turned off is not continuously venting an engine to air...
jrs184

Postby Rach.josh78 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi mate just got a hpdiesel catch can for my mq hopefully it goes alright I will let you know. I got this type as
It was recommended to me my the guys at ultimate diesel tuning.It is meant to be maintenance free and very good quality and it looks great.
Rach.josh78

Postby jerrah on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Only issue with the installation kit (in my mind) with the HPD is they don't include the hose from can to turbo. They intend for you to cut your factory hose which makes it impossible to revert to factory if you choose to.

The Provent I struggled to find a suitable tap location and ended up attaching it to the empty mount behind the rubber flap near the turbo. I was concerned it might get gritty offroad and unfortunately I've confirmed it cops sand a bit when driving on the beach so might have to find another tap location or try the HPD (or return to factory). You don't want that tap going bad and sucking things back up through the provent!
jerrah

Postby koldiron on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 pm

I ended up fitting a Provent from Western Filters. Pretty easy install. Went with the Provent cause there seemed to be more reviews. No oil in the tube yet, but when I shut down and open the lid there is plenty of oil mist. The car has just ticked over 300kms. Very happy with it.
koldiron

Postby leonbee on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:23 pm

koldiron wrote:I ended up fitting a Provent from Western Filters. Pretty easy install. Went with the Provent cause there seemed to be more reviews. No oil in the tube yet, but when I shut down and open the lid there is plenty of oil mist. The car has just ticked over 300kms. Very happy with it.

The oil will increase as the motor runs in and with age. Keep an eye on it, you don't want that filter to get blocked and cause back pressure problems. Read through the catch can threads.
leonbee

Postby jerrah on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 pm

leonbee wrote:you don't want that filter to get blocked and cause back pressure problems.
Provent has bypass valves. I haven't heard of those being blocked?
jerrah

Postby TUFF TROOP on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 am

When i first got my mq i put the breather down to the chassis rail until i had time to make a catch can haha.. 20000ks ago now , i should probably look into it
TUFF TROOP

Postby Newguy on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:43 am

Sorry for the delayed replies, I don't have a lot of time anymore but am now onto looking for tuning advice.

I couldn't tell you how much Oil i have caught an released from the catch can but what i can tell you is that the catch can from Provent is worth every Dollar.
All that crap that is now not sitting in your Intercooler & intake system.
My last system was just a dump pipe under that car but i feel that was a bit irresponsible, Oil on the road, nature etc etc etc.
Anyway i did notice a noise increase in the cabin but found it was something to do with the engine noise being transferred through the breather piping into the cabin from the Brake booster bracket.
Turn the radio on :)

Also did get the ERG resistor, haven't noticed a performance gain but the valve doesn't open.
Although this isn't a concern as the il vapor is not going to help it clog the intake anymore.

Looking at buying the Farther his new Work Wagon, Either a Triton or Paj an i will have this going on at the show room, but i won't let those numpties do it.
Newguy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Giovanni on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 am

Being my only ride I do short city driving of 20 minutes max per trip,which in the long term is not going to be the best for a diesel engine.
Just after the 1500km dealer check I inspected the breather pipes.
The rocker cover end was just starting to slightly oil up.
Ordered the Provent Catch Can kit online which only took 4 days to import.
They sure do bolt up with ease and look the part under the bonnet.
Two weeks later I checked the catch can which is trapping a small amount of residue which looks like water droplets.
Giovanni

Postby rhr on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 am

Had a provent fitted for a fair while now. Most ammount of oil i drained was 50ml. Do you need to periodically clean the filter.
rhr

Postby Crash486 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:52 am

rhr wrote:Had a provent fitted for a fair while now. Most ammount of oil i drained was 50ml. Do you need to periodically clean the filter.
Supposed to regularly replace it. See the website

crash486
Crash486

Postby DrewXT on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 am

Crash486 wrote:
rhr wrote:Had a provent fitted for a fair while now. Most ammount of oil i drained was 50ml. Do you need to periodically clean the filter.
Supposed to regularly replace it. See the website

crash486
Our agent told us there's no harm in washing it out with diesel as well.

That being said, the filter elements aren't expensive

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DrewXT

Postby Rain on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:22 pm

I think they recommend teplacing it every 45,000kms. I could be wrong but remember reading something like that in the paperwork that came in the box.
Rain

Postby YTO on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:12 am

Hey everyone

I just replaced the filter for catch can last week after 7500k service. Now I don’t see any oil in the drain pipe :shock: tap is closed on the drain pipe. I did pulled the filter out and in again to make sure. There is some residues of oil in the catch can and filter. Used to drain every week but now nothing. Should I be worry?
YTO

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm

Engine rings must be bedding in, and as such less blow by, that's a good thing :mrgreen:
WUNSIE

Postby YTO on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:37 am

I hope so. Asked westerfilter and they advised that should be fine.
YTO

Postby harmigera on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:44 am

YTO wrote:Hey everyone

I just replaced the filter for catch can last week after 7500k service. Now I don’t see any oil in the drain pipe :shock: tap is closed on the drain pipe. I did pulled the filter out and in again to make sure. There is some residues of oil in the catch can and filter. Used to drain every week but now nothing. Should I be worry?

I think the Provent 200 filter needs to get saturated with oil to be most efficient. I noticed mine didn't catch much in the first 2000k as the filter was getting black and oily; now there is a steady trickle. So it might not be the best practice to change the filter too often.
harmigera

Postby Deas on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 am

I just installed a Provent 200. Lots of oily resudue aroud the inlet side of the intercooler on my 2015 MQ with 40,000kms I want to pull out the intercooler for a thorough clean out. Any suggestions on a quick way without having to remove front bumper etc?
I reckon if I could work out how the fog lights come out I could u do everything from there.
Thanks for any suggestions.....
Deas

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks