MR Triton wheel offset

MR Triton wheel offset

Postby Mcmanemin on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi im changing my wheels from the 16” to 18”. I bought a second hand set that are offset +15. With no tyre on the rim is sitting about 10mm past the top guard. I thought this would be too far once I put tyres on it. But all the new wheels I’m looking at are +20 so only 5 difference. Has anyone fitted similar wheels and can they tell me how they sit?
Mcmanemin

Re: MR Triton wheel offset

Postby Mcmanemin on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

The tyres will be 265/60 r18
Mcmanemin

Postby Nick Bagus on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:21 am

Hi mate, they will poke out but plenty of guys run zero offset steel wheels which poke an extra 15mm so it's up to you. You'll be fine in my opinion
Nick Bagus

Postby im2xtreme on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 pm

G'day Mcmanemin,

You didn't mention what the rim width was in your innitial post? I am currently waiting to recieve my new 2021 GLX+ but need to get rims/tyres prior to delivery as it's a novated lease. I am trying to work out offset's so my rims sit flush or close to the standard guards but dont have the correct measurement from hub to guard. If your rim protruded by 10mm with +15 offset then I can calculate the distance from hub to guard with using your rim width as a guide.

Cheers
im2xtreme
im2xtreme

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:24 am

+20 will put you on the line. Some wheel brands don't have all offset sizes so +15 is an alternative. Of more concern is that many brands/styles will not fit over the front brake calipers.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby im2xtreme on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 am

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I have chosen an 8’ rim with a 20 offset so that’s great to know. The Ironman rep has a beautiful MR here in Townsville which mine will look almost identical to. I know his tyre size and rim brand so with some investigation found out exactly what his size/offset was to get the guards and used those numbers as a guide. His rims are 9” with 18 offset which means it’s 96.3mm to the guards.
Mine with 8” and 20 offset will be 81.6 so I know I’ll be legal. Lol
I’ll try to post a pic of his MR for comparison...If I can work out how to add pictures?

im2xtreme
im2xtreme

Postby im2xtreme on Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:21 am

https://app.photobucket.com/u/im2xtreme ... 56e36b3435

The link works but adding it as an image doesn't? Anyway, you can still see it! lol
im2xtreme

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:53 am

Unfortunately the link works for you, because you were signed in. Doesn't work for anyone else.

Photobucket is a joke. First it was free, then they introduced charges and prevented direct links. Now they've jacked up the charges again and blocked access to pictures that I'd paid them to allow links to.

Our site owner developed imgHOSTR as an alternative to Photobucket. It's easy and it's free. Link at bottom of page.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby peter9231 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:57 am

Link works fine and I don't have an account.
Vehicle looks good you will be happy if yours turns half as good.
Cheers.
peter9231
Platinum Subscriber

Stuck on offset

Postby Fudge on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:26 pm

Hay people,

Got an MQ triton and looking to put on some 265/75/16's on it and stuck on offset, I want em to poke out of the guards just that little bit and I'm finding people running 0 offset up to -22 offset with "poke" ? I'm leaning towards -13 offset but just looking for someone who knows a bit about it before I go and splash cash on wheels I'm not gonna be happy with.

Any help appreciated. Cheers
Fudge

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Define
Fudge wrote:poke out of the guards just that little bit
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Fudge on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:47 pm

New to this so bare with me sorry, I guess from 0 to an offset of -22, how's that measured?

My mates triton wheels has a 0 offset that sit flush with the guards but I'm looking to extend my wheels further out than the guards.

These are both MQ tritons.

Thanks
Fudge

Postby Nick Bagus on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 am

Fudge wrote:New to this so bare with me sorry, I guess from 0 to an offset of -22, how's that measured?

My mates triton wheels has a 0 offset that sit flush with the guards but I'm looking to extend my wheels further out than the guards.

These are both MQ tritons.

Thanks

-13 and -22 will give you plenty of poke. Just watch out for the boys in blue
Nick Bagus

Postby justaglamper on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi guys had a decent look through the old threads but cant find a solid answer to my question.

I'm about to get a set of Dynapro AT-M R10 265/75/16 on imitation beadlocker steelies and cant to decide on what offset to run.

Seems like I have three options with Dynamic: 0, +7, +20

And five options with Kings: +20, +4-, 0, -13, -25

Disregarding poke, what do I need to consider when running 0 or negative offset?ere

Looking for a little poke, so was thinking of a 0 offset but interested to see/hear what others are running and how much your tyres stick out?
justaglamper

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 am

justaglamper wrote: what do I need to consider when running 0 or negative offset?

The fines.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby justaglamper on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:07 pm

Why?
justaglamper

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:58 am

Because anything less than about +15 (depending on tyres) will have the tyres outside the wheel arches and that is illegal in all States.

Depending on degree of offset and tyres/suspension the tyre can also rub on the wheel arch or flare at full suspension compression.

Don't know if you've noticed how many sets of low +ve or -ve wheels are for sale on FB. Most have been caught and issued with defect notices.

Apart from the legality issue(s), moving the wheel centre out puts much higher loads on wheel bearings and usually results in damage up the side of the vehicle from stone chips not caught by the flare or mudguard. Uneven tyre wear will be another issue. LCAs on a Triton are fairly short and don't have built-in adjustability to cope with significant changes in offset.

Does it look better? Only to those who don't have a clue about four wheel drives.

Does it improve stability? When you already tilted at 40deg across a slope it won't make any difference at all. Reducing the 3" suspension and 2" body lifts and placement of heavy items to lower centre of gravity would have made a much bigger difference.

And the steelies? Bad move. Heavier than alloy so will affect operation of ABS, ride and life of struts/shocks. Many won't fit over front calipers and there is a reason why, unless made to a minimum standard, they're not allowed on mine sites.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby justaglamper on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks for the info Chris.

I would have thought at a 0 offset with some flares would be ok to account for most of the issues you've listed?

So whats the minimum you would suggest I'd go?
justaglamper

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 pm

I used to run +20 which was exactly in line with the flares, when fitted with 265/70R16 tyres. If you have tyres that are a bit taller or firmer in the sidewall then you can get away with +15. I had 265/75R16 muddies that had almost no bag in the sidewalls and they looked a bit skinny. Got me through lots of tough stuff though. Performance matters a lot more than looks. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Return to Tyres & Wheels