With bigger tyres will a mismatched spare cause problems?

With bigger tyres will a mismatched spare cause problems?

Postby 91GQST on Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Question - If I put 30mm larger diameter tyres on my MQ and then have to put my stock spare on either front or rear is that going to cause problems with the ABS computer etc?

I have done a lot of searching but not really found anything conclusive so Just wondering if anyone has tried it and if so did it cause problems with ABS etc.

The reason I ask this is because I have a spare set of stock wheels for my MQ that I plan to fit with either 245/75R16 or 265/70R16 Mud Tyres both of which are approx. 30mm in diameter bigger than the stock ones but as i will be using both sets of wheels throughout the year I will still need to keep the standard spare and at this stage I wasn't planning on getting a 2nd spare with a mud tyre unless i really had to.
91GQST

Re: With bigger tyres will a mismatched spare cause problems

Postby SLIMaxPower on Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

You can use the spare in an emergency situation at lower speeds - and only to limp home.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 91GQST on Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

SLIMaxPower wrote:You can use the spare in an emergency situation at lower speeds - and only to limp home.

I thought that may be the case but define Limp and lower speeds? Has anyone tried it and how much slower do you need to go?
Also aside from the ABS the other things i forgot about which are probably more likely to be affected is the TCS and ESC. although at least the TCS can be turned off.
91GQST

Postby Ianl on Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

Can cause damage to your diff aswell
Ianl
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am

A diff is designed to cope with different rotational speeds from each wheel. Obviously, that's only if open - don't lock it. Basically, the car will think that you're going around a corner.

Limp means minimum necessary to get you to help. That means taking it very easy. Probably a good idea to turn off ASC and go easy around corners. TC can't be turned off but shouldn't kick in.

For vehicles which have space saver spares (i.e. different size to standard wheels), the usual recommendation is to keep speed below 60km/h or 80km/h and never fit the odd wheel to the front.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Merts on Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 am

NowForThe5th wrote:For vehicles which have space saver spares (i.e. different size to standard wheels), the usual recommendation is to keep speed below 60km/h or 80km/h and never fit the odd wheel to the front.

That's true Chris, but whilst the spacesavers are a completely different wheel and tyre to the standard one, the overall diameter is the same.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gspy4u on Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 am

Had a RalliArt and even though the space saver was factory, it would show up an error on the dash when i drove it to get a flat repaired so obviously makes some difference.

As a rule I would never put a different sized tyre on a driven wheel just in case. Always just put it on the front in rear wheel drive or back in front wheel drive car. May mean having to change twice depending on where the flat was but worth the effort.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 am

I would be more concerned with making sure i have the space saver NOT on a steer tyre
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 91GQST on Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's something that I might have to experiment with it to see what happens
and if there are any problems then I can get an extra spare before actually going on a trip and having to deal with it then.
91GQST

Postby Nakno on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:55 am

91GQST wrote:Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's something that I might have to experiment with it to see what happens
and if there are any problems then I can get an extra spare before actually going on a trip and having to deal with it then.

I'd love to know how you went with this? As I have the same question.
Nakno

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:10 am

I usually keep the best of the tyres getting replaced as the spare, mainly to get as close a match as possible. I finally got rid of the original (10yr old) spare. It was interesting that the 245 designation only delivers about a 170mm wide tread.

I now have an old funbag with 4mm of tread as the spare while the newies have around 12mm.

Interesting that some cars, such as Porsche, etc won't even let you drive off if there is too much variance between the wheels.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 91GQST on Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Nakno wrote:
91GQST wrote:Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's something that I might have to experiment with it to see what happens

I'd love to know how you went with this? As I have the same question.

Can't really comment at this stage as although I did fit a bigger set of mud tyres to my spare rims I haven't had to mix them up as yet. Also since then I have purchased another set of alloys so I now have 3 sets of wheels and figure that if I need to do a big trip I will set up another wheel as a matching spare.
91GQST

Return to Tyres & Wheels