fuel consumption and tyre width

fuel consumption and tyre width

Postby koldiron on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi
I currently have factory tyres on my 2017 mq GLX+ (245/70r16) but am thinking of replacing them with 265/70r16 all terrains. I haven't decided on brand but am leaning towards Toyo Open Country A/T. Has anyone fitted this size tyre on the factory rim and how did it affect fuel economy and was there any other noticeable affect on performance?
Thanks
koldiron

Re: fuel consumption and tyre width

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Seriously?

https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=tyres+fuel+economy

Only 583 hits and the very first one nails it quite succinctly.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby andelect on Thu May 09, 2019 1:36 pm

I fitted these Toyo ATs to suit standard MQ MY16 Exceed Triton rims at 18693 Kms, replacing factory HTs.
I have now done 15,464 Kms on Toyo ATs.
I have recorded fuel consumption throughout the the life of the vehicle.
It has mostly been urban usage with the occasional highway tour and off road tracking.

HT average 10.46 L/100km’s at an average of 32-34 psi.
Toyo ATs average is 11.14 L/100km’s at mostly 32 psi around urban, and 34 psi touring.

I noted the following on changing tyres
• harder ride, and tend to lower psi around urban driving max at 32 psi
• wet weather bitumen performance was degraded with slightly increased road slip. I compensated by using 4H during wet weather, and take more care on cornering.
• Steering wheel seemed to require slightly more use to achieve same turning circle.
In short, you loose some sporty handling, but having been the victim of destroyed HTs in off roading, the value the reliability, toughness of AT’s are worth it.
I recently tried pumping the AT’s up to almost 40 psi on highway travel to the nullabor and got some better L/100 figures compared to 34 psi. I will keep higher psi for highway.
I haven’t tried any other AT other than Toyo, but they are quiet and OK on the open road.

Hope this assist you
andelect

Postby koldiron on Fri May 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks for your observations. I did end up fitting the Toyos a week ago and did notice a lose of "sensitivity" in the steering as well. Figured it had something to do with the wider tires.
The car did feel more stable, once again maybe the wider tires give it a bigger footprint.
They certainly handle the dirt roads better than the original factory tires!
koldiron

Postby RHKTriton on Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 am

Anything is better than the 'delivery' rubber. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels