Tyres rubbing!

Tyres rubbing!

Postby Nooblishly on Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:07 pm

Good afternoon team,

A while ago I came and asked the forum for what tyre size would work with my MQ triton with a two inch lift, see other topic for more info, now I followed the advise and ended up going with the 265/75 r16.

Since doing so I have experienced tyre rubbing on the back side of the wheel arch whilst driving through corners. I am assuming the suspension is compressing reducing the amount of clearance between the wheel and the arch.

Now onto my question finally, is there any reason this is happening if according to all the team here that size tyre should fit perfectly.

thanks in advance boys and girls,

Noob.
Nooblishly

Re: Tyres rubbing!

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:37 pm

Do they still rub if you go through the corners at less than 180km/h? :P

Seriously, something wrong there unless you changed wheels and offsets as well.

I had a set of 265/75R16 on my ML with +20 offset wheels and there's no way they even went close to rubbing. The MQ is a bit tighter at the back of the front wheel arch than the ML/MN but you say your problem is at the rear and there's bucketloads of space there.

Is this something new? It's been a couple of years since you asked all the questions about tyre sizes. Possible that you have a dud bush / loose U bolt or something in the rear suspension that's allowing it to move when cornering?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Nooblishly on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:47 pm

I changed wheels and offset, I also followed the advise on what offset to go......it's really annoying.

I was meaning the back of the front wheel arch, not the back wheel arch haha.

It's not a new thing, been happening ever since i changed the tyres.
Nooblishly

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm

Ok, gotcha.

I've only seen this without a lift. With a lift I wouldn't have thought that it would happen.

Anyway, this is what we did. Remove the front mudflaps and carefully cut out as per the following photo. We used urethane to seal up the hole, with a little fibreglass fly screen mesh to give it some support. This allows just that little bit of extra clearance that you need to stop the rubbing. If it rubs after this mod then you need to see someone who can cut and weld, because behind is a lump of sheet metal.

2018-01-16 13.52.55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Tyres & Wheels