Mq strut spacer and extended shackle lift

Mq strut spacer and extended shackle lift

Postby mqjosh on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Hey awesome forum lots of great info on here but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the ml strut spacer and extended shackles will fit the mq?

Thanks, Josh
mqjosh

Re: Mq strut spacer and extended shackle lift

Postby AD07 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:31 am

Why the hell do some people want to spend 40k+ on a new vehicle , then do stupid thing like strut spacers....??? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
AD07

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:58 am

The front struts are the same so they should fit. I don't know for sure but would expect that the shackles would also fit. Using each would remain as bad an idea in the mq as they were for previous models.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mqjosh on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:52 am

haha not many fans of strut spacers hey? im still undecided on whether to do them or a complete lift i hardly have more then a motorbike in the back and probably wont have a bullbar fitted. are spacers still a bad idea?

thanks.
mqjosh

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:16 am

Always a bad idea I reckon. There's a good post somewhere from Brendan at Ultimate suspension that explains why.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 am

So you just spent $40k on a new Triton and now you want to put cheap parts on in? Nothing better than seeing a new car enhanced with really cheap accessories :o YMMV

Apart from coil spacers having the potential of damaging your suspension. All they do is lift the front end and give you less down travel. If MQ are anything like the last MN then they are very close to the optimum height for good suspension travel. The struts are under damped and don't live long and probably will fade if driven on corrugated roads for long periods.

Extended shackles are illegal in all states. They also have the potential to cause issues/ and be dangerous. Again if you go this route buy good quality ones. MQ have a totally different rear leaf design to MN. Longer and narrower leafs. The shackles may well not be interchangeable. Again they don't increase the load carrying capacity just give height. The standard shocks still limit travel. They can also break because of being used to limit travel. MQ are still new. Do they suffer from vibration issues as well? If load carrying is important. Maybe see if Iron-man has released there helper bars/springs "load leveler" or what ever it is called.

Me drive it standard. Save for good quality suspension.

Enjoy your new Triton.
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

From this thread, this is what Ultimate Suspension had to say:

ultimate wrote:The spacers do raise the vehicle but are not recommended. The strut spacers which go on top of the assembly still produce too much downwards pressure and limit compression. The coil compression is not changed but the strut will bottom out before it reaches the bump stop meaning you will not have the same up travel as normal. Because the strut spacer is pushing down on the strut assembly, it is trying to force too much down travel. On most vehicles this will cause drive line and CV failure as the droop is pushed beyond the vehicle's limits.

Because the L200 Triton has a bump stop restricting droop, the CVs are somewhat protected. This has other affects though with the spacers as the bump stop clearance is significantly reduced and in most case the vehicle is continually riding on the top bump stop. This will cause bump steer and is dangerous and uncomfortable for the driver.

For a vehicle's suspension to work properly, you need adequate travel in both directions. This allows the suspension to react to the changing road surface for steering, absorbing bumps and keeping the tyres in contact with the ground. Without adequate down travel, the suspension cannot work properly and the ride quality and handling characteristics of the vehicle are compromised.

Pictures tell a thousand words so here are a few photos from the Hilux forum of damage caused to struts and ball joints as a result of strut spacers. Some of the spacers are a bit extreme but the principles and risks are still the same. In my opinion, stick to longer struts and coils customised to suit your vehicle and application. It may be a bit more expensive in the beginning but is far better for the reliability and safety of the vehicle.

Click to view larger picture

These images were taken off a Hilux at static height on flat ground. As you can see, the coil spacer is raising the vehicle too high and pushing the top control arm down. This control arm is continually contacting the coil when in motion which is incredibly dangerous and will eventually cause major damage.

ultimate wrote:Hi Bruno,

The coil spacers do actually affect the properties of the strut and coils. It's a pretty complicated aspect to explain so I’ve included these diagrams to try and make it a bit easier to understand. The use of Coil Spacer Kits (shown in yellow) limits the amount of up-travel achieved in a vehicle with IFS. For example if the vehicle is fitted with 2” coil spacers between the top coil seat and the body mount the shock assembly is now compressed an extra 2”, as a result the shock will now bottom out sooner resulting in a significant 2” decrease in up-travel. This compression of the coil assembly is also theoretically increasing the coil rate, which means the shock absorber is working outside of it’s specifications and the ride is harder than if an aftermarket shock and coil is used.

maximum uptravel

A lot of IFS vehicles like the Hilux do not have a bottom bump stop to limit the droop. That’s why coil spacers present a problem with overextending the droop as it leaves CV’s, ball joints and steering linkages vulnerable to fouling. You are correct in that the bump stop on the Triton will restrict this droop and it isn’t as much of a concern on the Triton. However as a result of this restriction, you do gain the height from the spacer, but lose a considerable amount of wheel travel now in both directions.

Maximum droop
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mqjosh on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks for explaining it. point taken haha. i'll be putting a conventional lift in it, thanks for everyones input.
mqjosh

Postby har05l on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Haha, how sik lol
I say just do it bro haha
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Suspension