Fifth Generation (MQ/MR) lift kits.

Re: MQ lift kits.

Postby schilgsy on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:36 pm

RG76 wrote:Looks good, I don't mind the PB Challenger wheels either ;)

Thanks mate, I like the Challenger wheels heaps better than the stock steels with a better offset. Got 5 of them cheap with dueler at's that i got 10k klms out of. Gotta love gumtree.
schilgsy

Ome or xgs suspension

Postby Grantpower on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Looking at upgrading suspension. Pretty much narrowed it down to old man emu or xgs. Any experience with either would be much appreciated. Mostly city driving, bit of beach, sometimes but rarely offroad 4x4. No payload most of the time and some towing up to about 2-3 tonne..
Grantpower

Postby Thanatos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Grant, If you're tossing up btwn those two I would go the XGS kit by TJM. They seem to have some of the Triton specific issues sorted out well. (See below)

I fitted an Ultimate Suspension Lift Kit over the weekend. The replacement gear certainly looks a lot better quality than what came out. The ride is definitely improved, particularly off road. But the main thing I've noticed on road hitting potholes is that the whole car seems to hit them with more of a dull thud and you can feel that the impact is dampened out. Beforehand it was more a crashbang and the whole car vibrated for a moment and I could see the bulbar shaking. On-road handling is quite improved including cornering despite the lift, with a big drop in body roll from before.

It did come up a fair bit higher than I expected (Asked for 30mm) at the rear and I do have the dreaded shudder now despite the tailshaft spacer. It looks to have raised 55mm over standard at the rear but I am currently still sitting at about 30-40kg below the constant load I'd asked them to consider in setting up the springs. This was about 87mm up from where it was sitting with the same load on stock suspension!! Interestingly though the shudder reduces considerably if I put the Super-Select into 4H. I've read around the forums that altering tyre pressures can have an effect on it too so I will try that. I've ordered the centre bearing lowering kit that TJM make ($109) as I can see the diff is on a much increased upward angle now so lowering the pivot point can only help.

Does anyone know what a set of brand new leaf springs will do over the first few weeks in regards to settling in and dropping slightly?

At the front it's about 42mm high over standard although there is still a winch to attach to the bullbar. I'd asked for 30mm including that so it shouldn't be far of the mark. It is around 60mm higher than the stock suspension was doing with the same load though. There is definitely an issue here with the MQ Tritons and the rebound bump stop under the control arm. The new strut literally would not go in without totally removing the bumpstop. After reassembling everything and driving around for a while I've been able to get it back in there but with substantially reduced travel. I can see why TJM are producing the reduced height bumpstop that is on the previous page of this thread (have ordered a pair $105). With no bumpstop the control arm appears to almost touch the shock at about the same time it runs out of travel so I would be very hesitant to just leave it out.

This was my first time replacing doing a complete suspension replacement on this kind of vehicle and I think I could do it in less than half the time if I were to do it again. If anyone is after any tips then feel free to ask, will help where I can. I did the have the benefit of a hoist at my Dad's place though.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby MadMQ on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:21 am

Has anyone installed a single piece tail shaft into the MQ to remove the vibration issue once they fitted the lift kit??
I have heard that this works extremely well for the earlier models...
MadMQ

Postby jerrah on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanatos wrote:If anyone is after any tips then feel free to ask, will help where I can. I did the have the benefit of a hoist at my Dad's place though.
How's it riding after a week? Have you fitted the centre bearing?
jerrah

Postby Thanatos on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:24 am

jerrah wrote:
Thanatos wrote:If anyone is after any tips then feel free to ask, will help where I can. I did the have the benefit of a hoist at my Dad's place though.
How's it riding after a week? Have you fitted the centre bearing?

Hey sorry about the huge delay, I went away for a couple of weeks on a roadtrip and have been flat out since. Will give you a big rundown on it soon.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby ufc1972 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Got my lift kit installed today and asked them to check the before and after measurement.
Here is the strange part. The front came up 70mm and the back 90mm. I like the look but this is way higher then expected and a little bit of a worry. There is a noticeable shudder on take off now. Previously there was just a light shudder on take off under hard acceleration. I had the TJM centre bearing lowering kit installed.
I used a different brand of suspension then TJM (its a quality brand). It was the raised height comfort and was told that I would get about 30- 40mm up front and about 50mm rear. The ute feels like it is riding on a much better quality suspension but the increase in height just sounds way off. The mechanic may have measured it wrong but I doubt it as it pretty obvious the height increase. Does anyone think that the suspension will setting in and drop 15mm- 20mm. The only other accessory's I am going to add are some bash plates and a rear water tank.(may 80lt if it will fit). I currently have about 70kg in the now.
ufc1972

Postby ufc1972 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:00 am

I noticed that the TJM mechanic had put the centre bearing lowering kit in upside down so since that has been fixed the shudder is much better now. It still not perfect but way way better. I also found out that there before and after measurements were wrong. Overal am really happy with the suspension upgrade but still have the shaking of the steering which is driving me crazy. Will get another wheel alignment again and rotate the tyres, but doubt it will fix it. It feels a little bit like it needs a steering damper.
ufc1972

Postby murwullambah on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Read somwhere that antthing over 30-40mm front will cause problems on the MQ, not enough droop.
murwullambah

Postby shawty950 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 pm

ufc1972 wrote:I noticed that the TJM mechanic had put the centre bearing lowering kit in upside down

Mine had the same issue....know the boss quite well and he apologised and said he kicked some ass over it. :lol:

Gets better with load in...but still has a minor shudder under load/hard acceleration.
shawty950

Postby ls2cruiser on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 pm

I have calculated the amount that has to be taken or added to the suspension droop and lift stops (Rubber) for a 37mm lift on my MQ GXL+ . The top stopper for droop has to have 12mm taken from it and the bottom stopper has to have 12mm added to it. I am going to use spacers behind the bottom one and lengthen the bolt to allow for the spacers. The top stop I am going to just cut the original stop rubber away with a sharp blade or grinder. When stock the rubbers should have a space between the rubber and the chassis of 16mm. It is not much room and hence the limit of 30-40mm lift.

Theses measurements will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on if you have a heavy bullbar fitted or with slight changes in specific vehicle suspension. If you are going to adjust the rubber stops yourself then MAKE SURE you take measurements before lift and after lift so you can get the spacing around 16mm after lift. This will give you the required suspension travel before the wishbones hit the stoppers.
ls2cruiser

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:06 pm

And what happens when a control arm hits a bump stop that's had half its capacity to absorb chopped off?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby robothefisho on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:11 pm

There is no reason to alter the bump stop for up travel. Any lift should still have the ability to travel within the full range without bottoming out the strut.

As for droop I cut the standard bump stop at the moulding line about 1/3 the way down. Seems to be a happy compromise between travel and mechanical sympathy.
robothefisho

Postby ls2cruiser on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:12 pm

5th, they sell smaller bump stops for lift kits for the MQ. Why pay for them when you can make one. They cost $95 a set . The top bump stop is reasonably thick so it should not be a great problem. With 37 mm lift the top rubber bump stop was 3mm from the chassis. I would not like to leave it like that.

With respect to the bottom bump stop, I thought that making the clearance between the chassis and stop the same as if it was stock height would be the logical solution. The strut only has so much travel and i am using the stock strut with a 20 mm strut spacer so I am going to use stock clearance. It makes sense to me. If it was an aftermarket strut then they may have longer travel and spacing the bump stop up may not be necessary.

I have seen pics of the bottom strut bolt broken off. It would seem logical that this could be caused by the strut bottoming out or maybe topping out.
I only do sand driving off road on Moreton Island so i need a cheaper alternative for front lift only. I dont see the point in spending lots of money on a new strut and spring set up at this stage. If it does not work then I will put it back to stock.
ls2cruiser

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm

The bottom of struts break (more so other makes) because of strut spacers not longer coils.
If you have a strut spacer you should space the bump stop.
There is a thread on it with pictures and commentary by Ultimate.
L200Shogun

Postby robothefisho on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Ahhhh, now that makes sense when used with a spacer and not a new strut. A much nicer way is simply replace the spring on the standard strut ($180 for springs). Bit more work involved doing it though. Spacing struts for lifts is not recommended. One of the reasons you have already thought about.
robothefisho

Postby ls2cruiser on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 am

If you put a different spring on the original Strut wouldnt it have to make the suspension harder as the spring has to be longer or stronger to give the lift? Not sure about that point.

I read the thread about ultimates suspension kits and I see their point as well. I might get one of their lift kits eventually when I get over buying a new truck. lol.

In a lift kit with a different spring and different strut is the aftermarket strut itself longer or is it just the stronger or longer spring that gives it the extra lift?
ls2cruiser

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 am

Yes, ls2, a longer or stronger coil on the original strut can make the suspension harder. It will also accelerate wear on the strut which will struggle to cope with a coil that it wasn't designed for. That was one of the first mistakes I made with the ML - putting heavier coils on to get back what I'd lost with the bar and winch. The result was a hard ride initially that then turned floaty when the struts couldn't control the coils. The mismatch with the rear meant that it rotated around the front as well. Not a successful mod at all and fortunately the front struts gave up very quickly and I headed down the road of a full suspension kit which made all the difference in the world.

You're on the right track about lengths, too. An aftermarket strut (or rear shock absorber) can extend longer so you get the full benefit of the longer springs which give you the lift. A good suspension place can give you everything you want. Not quite so easy to do with the Triton, but on my Pajero with its much longer control arms I asked for longer, rather than stronger, coils in order to get the lift but keep the suppleness of the ride. If you watch any of the Chapmans off road racing vids you'll see this concept at the extreme.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:53 am

NowForThe5th wrote:I asked for longer, rather than stronger, coils in order to get the lift but keep the suppleness of the ride.

Peugeot were early pioneers of this philosophy; long, soft springs, and firm shocks. The 504 sedan was one of the most comfortable vehicles in the rough stuff. You could travel at a fair clip over most obstacles, and sit back in style. They used to do quite well in the Redex bash!
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ls2cruiser on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you 5th and Bill cheers Russ
ls2cruiser

Postby ArrowsWA on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Just got my MQ back with the Ironman lift kit done by their local dealer (same 0-300 7 leaf rear) with foam cells and the B series front coils and front (non comfort level shocks) and yes 50mm higher at the back and if anything equal or even less than the stock height at front (looks like 1970's jacked up arse end / not a good look and very poor upfront clearance) even the dealer was surprised by the front to rear massive variance (said he will speak to Ironman on it and get back to me) he did and to fair i accept that some difference due to choosing permanent load rear suspension, but he even admitted that 5% was the max legal variance, and this well exceeds that, (front-back overall height variation allowable).
Maybe front packers the answer and the angles are crazy on the latter part of my two piece tail shaft assembly into the rear diff, vibrations/shudder however surprisingly little to speak of (Ironman did fit the shaft bearing adjustment kit as standard in the install, so this may be helping the shudder effect somewhat)
23000 klms on the bus at time of upgrade
Will keep informed of what Ironman are going to do to rectify the Wedge effect that I have drive about for now.
Local Ironman dealer whom fitted kit been good about it so far, yes he believes some front height loss due to the severe back end rise thus angle pivot, though I said earlier he was surprise by the total loss of any increase at the front of the bus.
(carry around 152kgs of tools in the back in fixed box's with recovery gear and aux battery at all times so even this didn't prevent overly massive back uplift in the back end either)
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby MADMETHBANSHEE on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 am

Anyone rockin a Fulcrum bilstein kit?
MADMETHBANSHEE

Postby Crash486 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 am

Ok so not MQ related but dam interesting .
Wonder if this might change the industry a bit and force others to follow

Nissan Titan lift kit adds 3 inches, retains warranty
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/niss ... -3-inches/

crash486
Crash486

Postby Ray57MQ on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:16 am

Even IF this minor modification was considered by mitsubishi as part of the co-development going on with Nissan any major changes to both models are a few yrs away if the article below is any indication....
http://www.caradvice.com.au/558281/mits ... the-works/
More chance Ford & Toyota will get on the bandwagon..
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:02 am

Ok read quite a bit but cannot find the answer

I know that a suspension kit from a ml or mn won’t fit a mq due to the rear leaf springs being longer.

But do the front struts fit or if they don’t, what component, it it length, eye width strut but spacing on the top.

I have around 3 sets of old aftermarket struts complete with top hats and springs that I could fit to the work Triton, so I can do the work just trying to save some energy if someone has already discovered the wheel.

Stupidly I have not been able to have both vehicles side by side yet but I should be able to do that next week and also trial
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension