Fifth Generation (MQ/MR) lift kits.

Fifth Generation (MQ/MR) lift kits.

Postby rsv4dan on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Members,

To avoid multiple threads and follow the general philosophy of keeping stuff together, this thread has been designated as the one for general conversation on lifts for Fifth Generation Tritons. Please keep conversations here, as much as possible. New or separate threads are permitted for specific discussion on a certain brand or discussion on specific components. Other than that, posts will be merged into this thread.

The title of the thread has been changed and some keywords have been added, below, to aid in searches.
MR* MQ* 5th Fifth gen generation suspension lift kits

We thank you for helping us to keep the forum organised.

Moderation Team

Has anyone fitted a lift to their MQ? I haven't seen too much available yet. Recently picked up an MQ Exceed and slowly adding a few bits and pieces. I've fitted some 265/70R17 AT's for a little more clearance, however i would love a couple of inches lift! Trying to make her a little more capable off-road. The standard towbar hangs down a freaking mile! So ideally i hope to fit an Ironman rear bar/towbar to get some more rear clearance also
rsv4dan

Re: MQ lift kits.

Postby chode007 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:45 pm

hey mate, Ultimate do a lift for the MQ I have one in my GLX club cab. Give them a call they can go through the details with you...
chode007

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi there, I am just about to purchase an MQ glx and looking to have the ironman 2inch lift fitted. Just tossing up between their performance and constant load but it's hard to find much info on them. There site has a bit about choosing the right setup, but i wonder how this all goes in the real world.

Does anyone have experience using the two different that could assist??

Cheers, clint
Tasc4life

Postby Duck on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:00 pm

What sort of load do normally carry in the back ? Set it up for your majority type driving, so if most of the time you have nothing in the back go a comfort setup, if you normally carry 400kg then spring accordingly. The weight will include tub weight, if they aren't asking you those questions I would think about using them.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Duck wrote:What sort of load do normally carry in the back ? Set it up for your majority type driving, so if most of the time you have nothing in the back go a comfort setup, if you normally carry 400kg then spring accordingly. The weight will include tub weight, if they aren't asking you those questions I would think about using them.

I am yet to pick it up, but am looking at removing the dual cab tub tray, and fitting an aluminium tray, with aluminium canopy. Maybe a steel roof rack too with an awning ect and also be towing a small van around with it.

The canopy and rack setup is removable and would for the most part be off when used as my daily driver, and towing is only going to be on and off with holidays ect.

I guess I just am wondering if the performance springs would be enough when loaded up/towing for the trips, to not need the constant load Springs all the time. I don't want it to be sagging in the arse under loads, althiugh I don't really want to be bouncing all over a track when it's empty. I need a happy medium?? They offer the three different types at ironman, comfort, performance and constant. I'm just struggling choosing between the performance and constant..!

Does anyone have any experience with their performance or constant Springs that could offer anyyhing??

Cheers
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:12 pm

sounds like you need a progressive rate spring setup mate , meaning when unladen you can still have a ride that's not too harsh but as loaded up more and more the leaves below come into play more and take the weight etc..
other thing is air bags, just pump em up when ya got a load on and they will do all the work, but there's pros and cons fir these too...
research a lot and talk to a suspension place to work out your options as there are plenty it really depends on what you want and what you want to spend .. ;-)
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 am

snakesoup wrote:sounds like you need a progressive rate spring setup mate , meaning when unladen you can still have a ride that's not too harsh but as loaded up more and more the leaves below come into play more and take the weight etc..
other thing is air bags, just pump em up when ya got a load on and they will do all the work, but there's pros and cons fir these too...
research a lot and talk to a suspension place to work out your options as there are plenty it really depends on what you want and what you want to spend .. ;-)

I'll have to have a look into the progressive load Springs. Have considered air bags to assist with weight but I guess I may just have to study up some more.

I like the idea of the bags and having the ability to add/drop psi to suit but obviously this comes at a cost.

What are the main pros and cons you have come across?
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

pros- excellent for carrying a load when needed ya just pump em up

cons- can contribute to bending a chassis if over loaded and used in the wrong conditions,

will restrict flex when you are off roading also, is also possible to stake an air bag too..but it is all circumstantial mate
snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:32 pm

although I'm yet to hear of an mq bending a chassis but time will tell as it's early days, but this problem is generally across the board of modern day dc utes, but yes it is circumstantial
snakesoup

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:06 pm

My only other concern with lifting would be potential shudder issues. After reading that it seems to be quite common on the MN's. My Auto MQ has a noticble shudder when you get on it hard from a standstill in first gear. I fear that it's going to become worse if lifted?
rsv4dan

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:55 am

I've only test driven my car (6sp manual) but no noticeable shudder, but mine only had 12 kms on it!

I should be picking it up Thursday and hope to get all gear including the suspension fitted shortly after. I have spoken to the mechanic again and we are going to go over the weight/load issue again to work it out!

I am leaning towards the performance (200kg to 300kg) and possibly adding a air bag to assist if needed when towing. Also looking at the super spring and ironman load assist as possibilities... But am still researching!

From what I take of it, the airbags causing bent chassis issue seems to come as a result of overloading ( clueless loading over gvm) than anything else.

I went over the sums and came up with about 200-250kgs of weight that will be on the ute when fully loaded (bull bar, winch, side steps and side rails, alloy canopy, tow bar and roof racks - minus the tub tray for an alloy tray). The only other thing will be a van on occasion with a 150 ball weight.

What sort of weight would be acceptable for airbags to lift or assist with without causing dramas?? Are the sort of issues with cracked chassis a result of airbags assisting with 50-200kg additional occassional loads or are we talking 500kg+ >gvm, over the rear without any upgraded suspension whilst being flogged over corregations type thing??
Tasc4life

Postby RG76 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Don't go TJM like I did, two month wait at the moment.

Wasn't told when I purchased the kit as part of a package which is disappointing.
RG76

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Tasc4life wrote:
snakesoup wrote:sounds like you need a progressive rate spring setup mate , meaning when unladen you can still have a ride that's not too harsh but as loaded up more and more the leaves below come into play more and take the weight etc..

I'll have to have a look into the progressive load Springs. Have considered air bags to assist with weight but I guess I may just have to study up some more.

I like the idea of the bags and having the ability to add/drop psi to suit but obviously this comes at a cost.

What are the main pros and cons you have come across?

I am no expert in these matters, but, l have been around long enough on this forum to suggest this, be very cautious of air bags, please research, using the "SEARCH FORUM" feature. l do believe that air bags have attributed to far more grief than been of any benefit, they have also been attributed to many a bent chassis ;)
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tome on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:00 pm

i here old man have a 2 inch lift kit that raises it 40mm. i've been recommeded by a serious 4x4 mate, but i see on hear a poster has removed them and upgraded to another brand. wonder why. any one had any issues either for or against Old Man lift kit?
cheers.
Tome

Postby todd.brenda on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I have airbags on my 09 dualcab fitted since new and no dramas
just have to use common sense and all will be fine
todd.brenda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dunga71 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Tome wrote:i here old man have a 2 inch lift kit that raises it 40mm. i've been recommeded by a serious 4x4 mate, but i see on hear a poster has removed them and upgraded to another brand. wonder why. any one had any issues either for or against Old Man lift kit?
cheers.

I was told by ARB OME kit will only give me 25mm above standard height so I'm steering clear of that
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Dunga71 wrote:I was told by ARB OME kit will only give me 25mm above standard height so I'm steering clear of that

I have seen it said that OME say that for legal issues.
In other places on the net people are happy with OME and got closer to 2" lift on MN. However there are others not happy with it. I would probably look elsewhere mainly for the conflicting reports/revues on it.
L200Shogun

Postby simmo2803 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm looking at Outback Armour at the moment.

I want to get the front up because the only thing that stopped me at Fraser was sand building up on the bash plate.

Tempted to only do the front at the moment and keep leafs at the back but maybe change the shocks. so they all 'match'. Bloke at shop said it would save me about $500 keeping the back leafs.

Anyone heard of Outback Armour? from my research there is a lot of Amorok's with them and not read a bad review.
Also, am I being daft to keep the leafs? I don't carry weight in the back other than 65KG canopy.
Cheers,
simmo2803

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

simmo2803 wrote:I'm looking at Outback Armour at the moment.

I want to get the front up because the only thing that stopped me at Fraser was sand building up on the bash plate.

Tempted to only do the front at the moment and keep leafs at the back but maybe change the shocks. so they all 'match'. Bloke at shop said it would save me about $500 keeping the back leafs.

Anyone heard of Outback Armour? from my research there is a lot of Amorok's with them and not read a bad review.
Also, am I being daft to keep the leafs? I don't carry weight in the back other than 65KG canopy.
Cheers,

Have checked it out for my MQ sounds pretty good but I can't find any convincing reviews on there gear yet,price is on par with most other leading suspension suppliers
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:12 pm

I've got a dobinsons kit I'm installing tomorrow. Got it cheap at $1300 including preassembled struts with new strut tops and tail shaft spacer
rsv4dan

Postby RG76 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Finally got the TJM XGS 4000 installed and I'm impressed by the ride handling. It does give a slight vibration around the 20k mark but then goes away. The front came up 25mm and the back 50mm, apparently due to the front suspension set up you can't get much more than that without issues :?:

Once I get a bit a weight in the back I expect it to settle down along with the vibration. Time will tell but for now I'm just keen to get it off road. Next item is a rear diff lock, looking at the Eaton or air locker ( MQ GLS)
RG76

Postby schilgsy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:36 pm

Spoke to Ultimate Suspension (forum sponser) about MQ lift and they also believe 25mm is as high as possible keeping geometry acceptable for wheel alignment and I guess bush wear and shudder is also considered.

You probably will find bigger lift kits but at the expense of bush and tyre wear.

Seeing that i bolted on the 32's from my ML the day I took delivery of the MQ and went off roading up at Newnes for the weekend without any scrubbing an extra inch would keep me happy I think.

If you want big lifts and huge rubber you should buy a live axle truck in my opinion. We buy Tritons because they are a compromise between being a good everyday vehicle and a fun and capable weekender.
schilgsy

Postby ICKIS on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:11 pm

I have justt had a DOBINSON inch lift kit installed... raised the front 40mm with syell bar fitted and 65mm on the rear with towbar and rear barwork/ racks. Rides really well and feels so much better than stock... that is firmer and more road feel... better cornering etc.
The kit included tailshaft spacer as well.
Bought it through 4x4 accessories just off Moss st Springwood qld...cost $1950 installed by Pedders suspension incl wheel alignment and 3 yr warranty... quite happy
Would maybe like to see the front come up another inch tonlevel ot out so may sus out 20mm coil spacer... there still seem to be plenty of droop to play with. Would recommend.
Will try to get some pics up and update my shed with new mq pics soon. Going to fit 285 75 16s tomorrow and see how itall works
ICKIS

Postby sjf09 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:09 pm

RG76 wrote:Finally got the TJM XGS 4000 installed and I'm impressed by the ride handling. It does give a slight vibration around the 20k mark but then goes away. The front came up 25mm and the back 50mm, apparently due to the front suspension set up you can't get much more than that without issues :?:

Once I get a bit a weight in the back I expect it to settle down along with the vibration. Time will tell but for now I'm just keen to get it off road. Next item is a rear diff lock, looking at the Eaton or air locker ( MQ GLS)

What did the TJM kit cost you fitted?
sjf09

Postby RG76 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:14 pm

The TJM kit cost me $2100 installed with a 3 year warranty, only thing I might need is a spacer kit but will see how it goes. Not many places had suspension kits when I was looking, I had Ultimate on my last car but havent seen them advertise anything for the MQ on their site yet :?: :?: :?:

But I'm very happy with the ride, probably if I shopped around I may have gotten a better price but at the time I wasn't too worried.
RG76

Next

Return to Suspension