MQ GLX Suspension

Re: MQ GLX Suspension

Postby sjf09 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:12 pm

After my MQ Exceed being tested by Mitsi HQ, they are telling me that the vibration and shuddering that I am feeling is from poor road surface condition (are they taking the pi$$?) they drove it on Bell Street in Melbourne, a main road in good condition, and due to the suspension improvement for better towing and load carrying. Its marginally better on both fronts than the MN!!!! They then went on to tell me that the vibration is NOT detrimental to the vehicle! Why is it VIBRATING!!!! My passenger seat is constantly moving!!! They ended saying that there is nothing more they are willing to do, and if I want to take further action, then its up to me. I nearly fell out of my chair. Its my 3rd and last Mitsi!!
sjf09

Postby Warnsie on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi guys

I know exactly what you are saying and you feel the about poor ride quality, shuddering, and vibrations. I had the exact same thing with my 2014 SR5 hilux, and I was 'doing my head in' trying to find the problem.
And after a lot of research, time and money, nothing really fixed it...

Aftermarket suspension does help (dampens the vibrations and shuddering a little), but does not cure it completely. Softer leaf springs can make the ride worse as it gives the chassis/rear axle more movement and makes the rear end more unsettled.

The best antidote is weight in the back tray (200kg+). Your rear leaf springs do not work until they have weight. Like my old hilux, the Triton has a short wheelbase which seems to exaggerate every single bump, and it also has a high frequency chassis beam vibration (two characteristics of old ute designs). You will notice that all the newer Utes on the market (ranger, amarok, hilux) are now wider and longer chassis, longer leaf springs, have extra chassis bracing, and improved body mounts to make them ride better (the Ranger even has gel body mounts). But weight in the tray can cure a lot of the movement and vibration. I physically drive around with two batteries, three 25L fuel cans, and assorted 4wd gear just to keep the rear settled. Hope this helps a little
Warnsie

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 pm

No vehicle should have any vibration or shuddering, must be something out of wack.

I'd start by jacking the beast and spinning each wheel and see how true they spin.

Likewise, get someone to turn the wheels and observe whether the prop shafts are OK.

Obviously some vibrations may be more prevalent at different speeds.

Having observed the way stevadores get vehicles on and off the ships, both at the dock and in tv docos, who knows what your pride and joy has been through between the production line and your dealer?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Warnsie on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:53 am

Guys who have grown up with Utes don't notice it. But those who have never driven a ute are shocked when they experience the rough and tumble and jiggly ride of an unladen ute. This is the characteristics of a "leaf sprung" ute with 0 weight in the tray. And it's night and day between a coil rear end. Throw weight in it and get those leaf springs looking flat instead of bannana shaped
Warnsie

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:45 am

Its not so much the spring type but the fact the utes are load carriers. A T4 VW Twin cab I had a while back was just as hard empty (rated around the tonne in capacity), however when loaded up with a few hundred kilos it rode like a limmo. :lol:

The biggest problem with the 'billy cart' suspension at the rear is the huge unsprung weight (axle+diff) getting thumped around along with the constantly changing alignment of the rear axle.

Apart from this though there still shouldn't be any significant vibrations or shuddering.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby theabomb on Sat May 14, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm really surprised to hear this... I haven't taken the plunge on a triton/new dual cab ute yet but the triton I took out for a test drive was awesome over bumps and corrigations, even without a load in the back... Unless I got an unusually good ute or you guys got bad ones... You should compare an unladen falcon xr ute to the triton and you'll think the triton is riding on pillows haha
theabomb

Postby Brigerz on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:25 am

Hi guys was wondering if the people complaining about the poor ride and shuddering ie sjf09 have found a solution or improved the ride with a suspension upgrade. Iv got a gls with 4000km and the constant shuddering and vibration is rattling my dash to pieces. I've come from a single cab BT50 with alloy tray and that thing rode like a dream compared to the MQ. I never noticed the shuddering in the demo I test drove and it doesn't seem all mq's suffer from it.

Cheers Brigerz
Brigerz

Postby Fatback on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:44 pm

My GLS has just ticked over 1200kms and I've started to noticed the passenger seat shuddering loudly when driving along the rougher roads around town. The seat shudder is a fairly common complaint and I reckon that the ride wouldn't seem half as bad if the seat didn't shake and rattle as much (that and the passenger seat belt buckle banging against the pillar).
Fatback

Postby murwullambah on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Had my GLS MQ for 11 days now and only clicked over 900 km, ride seems ok so far, ive come from a challenger wagon so rear springs, hopefull it doesnt get worse as a few people seem to be suffering.
murwullambah

Postby jerrah on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Fatback wrote:and the passenger seat belt buckle banging against the pillar).
I've had the seatbelt rattle - solved by carrying a passenger! :D

Seriously though I've found a few noises in the MQ over rough roads but I think it's just because I notice/hear more as it's so much quieter than my MK diesel was! If the engine was louder I don't think I'd hear the faint noises in the cab.
jerrah

Postby Brigerz on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Yeah unfortunately mine aren't faint. It's got more rattles than the bt50 did with 200k on the clock. It's a pretty severe shudder and it doesn't seem to be in all of them. Was just wondering if any of the other guys had pinpointed the issue or fixed it with new suspension
Brigerz

Postby mobile2 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:03 pm

My GLS was unbelievably hard and shaking on corrugations etc, but now with 15000km it's settled heaps, but still too firm for my liking. Bilsteins and Lovells transformed my ML (which was the opposite - way too soft and wallowy), but what I want to know is which suspension to go for with this one. I only want to bring the front up a tad (steel bullbar's pulled it down a little) and the rear height's OK stock for what I do. Am leaning towards Tough Dog, but would love to hear real-world experiences from those who've changed from stock.
mobile2

Postby mobile2 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:05 pm

jerrah wrote:

Seriously though I've found a few noises in the MQ over rough roads but I think it's just because I notice/hear more as it's so much quieter than my MK diesel was! If the engine was louder I don't think I'd hear the faint noises in the cab.

The quick fix is to simply ensure the passenger buckle isn't twisted - it has to be hanging parralel with the B pillar. Passengers always get out leaving it twisted I find.
mobile2

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 am

I had done 45000 ks..was ready to dump the mq due to ride quality... but I bit the bullet and imported a full set up from ultimate to Nz inc tailshaft spacer. Been fitted in my MQ Glx manual for about 3 weeks now.. im absolutley over the moon with it..
Ride quality and handling are both improved beyond expectations.i now go looking for bumps and smile.
Bigfoot kiwi

Postby shawty950 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

mobile2 wrote:
jerrah wrote:

The quick fix is to simply ensure the passenger buckle isn't twisted - it has to be hanging parralel with the B pillar. Passengers always get out leaving it twisted I find.

I fixed my seatbelt buckles hitting the plastic front and rear by getting some wide stick on foam from Clark Rubber...50 or 65mm wide and 6mm thick...couple of strips cut off and put where the buckle hangs and no more clickety-clak
shawty950

Postby bobski on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Bigfoot kiwi wrote: Been fitted in my MQ Glx manual for about 3 weeks now.. im absolutley over the moon with it..

What was the around about price if you don't mind asking? Mine has gotten worse and worse after I fitted the bullbar - unfortunately I don't know if that is just the K's I've done (15k) or the bullbar.

My regular loop is OK, but I really notice it on rutted tracks and poorly repaired roads, the whole console has started shaking. Its just stopped soaking up bumps and its really starting to give me the shits. So I too am looking to upgrade suspension. My wife might not be too pleased with me wanting to drop cash on a 1 year old car.
bobski

Postby jerrah on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:18 pm

bobski wrote:What was the around about price if you don't mind asking?
PM Ultimate Suspension on the forum or check out their website. I've found them fairly good communicators.

I've found my stock suspension lacking after the bullbar too, but it's just the matter of justifying the $$$$.
jerrah

Postby triton guy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:06 am

The more I drive my Exceed the more I'm hating the ride quality too,
Even worse is the aesthetic of the huge amount of rake,
I'm happy with the rear height but the front is about 40mm to low so I may start there first when the budget allows.

I'm also a little scared as I put a comfort pack with a 50mm lift through my MN and it was the harshest ride I have ever felt.
That was king springs and Oztec shocks I think.
triton guy

Postby triton guy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:09 am

The more I drive my Exceed the more I'm hating the ride quality too,
Even worse is the aesthetic of the huge amount of rake,
I'm happy with the rear height but the front is about 40mm to low so I may start there first when the budget allows.
triton guy

Postby sjf09 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm

I ended up putting the Old Man Emu suspension in. Made an good difference around town, and feels much more compliant on the road. MASSIVE improvement over speed humps and corrugations. Very happy with the changes.
sjf09

Re: Standard gls front ride height?

Postby FERALTRITON16 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 am

does any1 get a vibration in the rear end of triton
I have a 2016 mq exceed with arb old man emu 2 inch lift the rear leafs r constant load 600 kg springs wud this b the cause of my vibration at 15 km/h after that speed it goes away
FERALTRITON16

Re: Standard gls front ride height?

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:26 am

Feral, the thread is about ride heights, not about driveline vibrations, for which this thread is far more suitable. I have therefore moved your post. Please ensure that you search before you post.

For more information on the reasons for the vibration you describe, search "shudder" in the fourth Generation section of the forum.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bobski on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 am

21000km and I've got a blown front left shock. The ride has been ordinary for about a year - but the shock wasn't blown at the 15k service (where I mentioned the shuddering).

Taking it to mitsu in a couple of weeks to see if they will warrant it. Any one had a warranty claim on shocks? And if so did you have an aftermarket bullbar like I do?

I think they'll say the bullbar caused it. If they don't warrant it, I'll spend the money on an upgrade - just terrible timing financially (now I regret buying $2000 worth of scratchies last week :P) .

2015 GLX 4x4 with Ironman Bullbar
bobski

Postby jerrah on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 pm

I don't see how the extra weight would blow the shock, and even so Mitsubishi have a factory option bullbar. Do they update the shocks when they fit that one?

I've just ticked over 16,000km on my 2016 MQ GLX fitted with a TJM bullbar and I fitted the Ultimate lift about 1000km ago. The stock suspension wasn't leaking and was ok around town but I found at highway speeds out west the shock absorbers would give up and the shocks felt unable to control the movement. The Ultimate suspension really soaks up the bumps and seems to cope with everything I've done with it so far. I haven't done any extended trips with it yet to fully test it.

The factory front springs had sagged almost to the bump stops with the TJM bar and aftermarket bash plates and as such was quite harsh over bumps when it would bottom out.

I don't think I achieved a full 2" lift out of the Ultimate, probably more like 35-40mm above stock, but much higher than where it was sitting. I fitted the TJM centre bearing lowering kit and didn't get a tailshaft spacer. I've noticed no shuddering since the lift has been done.

My father-in-law has a 2015 MN and both his rear shocks are leaking. He took it into Mitsubishi but was told that it was ok for them to leak as not all the oil had come out - or something along those lines. Rather than waiting for them to gradually get worse he fitted aftermarket shocks on his stock springs.
Last edited by jerrah on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerrah

Postby DaveXT on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:11 am

murwullambah wrote:Had my GLS MQ for 11 days now and only clicked over 900 km, ride seems ok so far, ive come from a challenger wagon so rear springs, hopefull it doesnt get worse as a few people seem to be suffering.

This post could have been written by me, I'm in the exact same situation with 950 km under my belt and coming from a Challenger.
DaveXT

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension