MQ GLS auto - shudder on takeoff

Re: Do all new auto gls tritons have shutter on takeoff

Postby Machine48 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:39 pm

I fitted a dobinsons lift kit a few days ago and now have a shudder which wasn't there before.

I also have the tailshaft spacer fitted :/

manual.
Machine48

Re: Do all new auto gls tritons have shudder on takeoff

Postby MilkmanDan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:38 am

WUNSIE wrote:I mentioned it to the dealer we purchased the wifes ASX from, as I also have a new GLS, and he is well aware of the shudder on take off, and said it is due to the rear axle trying to move almost 2 tonne of vehicle from a standing start, apparently Colorado,s and a few others also do it.

Classic dealer 'I have nfi and don't want you bringing it here for us to fix under warranty'

I've driven bt50, ranger, amarok, np300 and they don't do it. Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it, no bs excuses that it is what it is.
MilkmanDan

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:09 am

Correct, Dan. Standard they don't do it. But give them a lift and watch how it all changes.

There seem to be a few urban myths developing about shudder. As I said above, it has nothing to do with tyre pressures and a tailshaft spacer won't fix it. It's all about the angles that the tailshaft(s) have to turn through and a mismatch of the angle at one end against the other. That's why the 2 piece tailshaft suffers from it while the 1 piece doesn't. In the 1 piece the angles are equal at each end. But in the 2 piece they're not, mainly due to the centre bearing.

As an aside, Tritons do suffer from shudder more than other brands. Why? Because Mitsubishi have stuck with a 3m wheelbase. Shorter wheelbase means better turning circle but it also means that the distance from the end of the gearbox/transfer case to the diff is somewhat less. So, the angle that the tailshaft has to turn through is greater. Stick a chassis cross member in the way and have to go around that with a 2 piece tailshaft and you have a recipe for shudder.

The only way to fix the problem is to replace the 2 piece with a 1 piece tailshaft but that risks the tailshaft hitting the cross member if you have a lift or springs that allow more drop. Otherwise, space the gearbox down, lower the centre bearing or rotate the axle up.

Putting a load in the back fixes it too. Why? Because as the springs compress they move closer to the body and the angle at the front of the diff comes closer to that at the other end. A tailshaft spacer won't fix the shudder but it does take the strain off the centre bearing as the suspension drops.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MilkmanDan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Has anyone tried spacing the centre bearing mount down with a positive result?

I haven't pulled the trigger on new suspension yet as I'm not convinced I'll be shudder free (manual mn) and I'll be a monkeys uncle if I'm going to throw 160 notes on a maybe (which a seperate issue is BS, should be part of the package) tailshaft spacer.

I understand the angle of the dangles, I raced an IRS vehicle that regularly chewed driveshafts. A one piece can be dangerous too , one knock off-road and you be up for a new one.
MilkmanDan

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:49 am

We are in the 5th Generation forum section here so discussion should be MQ specific but the reason I've reiterated all the above is so MQ owners get the benefit of experiences with ML/MN, but the answer is yes. There is a whole thread on moving the centre bearing down, here.

Unfortunately the photo links are broken and I've PM'd Brett to see if we can't get those restored, but the .pdf and CAD files are still there. The basic principles should be the same for MQ but an MQ owner needs to actually verify details.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am

My apologies, tapatalk makes me silly at times
MilkmanDan

Postby bitplay33 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:12 pm

No shudder in my MY16 MQ GLS
bitplay33

Postby Lawz on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 pm

I have my MQ in 4H all the time now and I don't feel the shudder at all.
Lawz

Postby Tim650 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

My MQ dual cab tub tray manual had a small shudder from factory when taking off under medium throttle. Got an Ironman lift front and back and the shudder in 1st is greatly increased. As said, change in angle of uni joints causes force to be thrown off centre. Only fix in my opinion would be changing pinion angle (wedge or similar) or to lower other components to compensate the tailshaft angle. Under a serious load, I believe the uni joint is a major weak link and a spare should be carried while doing long, hard offroad adventures.
Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight, yet few people can see bugger all right in front of them!

Regret hurts more than failure ....
Tim650

Re: MQ GLS auto - shudder on takeoff

Postby 01omd on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:09 am

guys.. just to add to this, my MY18 blackline AUTO had the shudder on take off since new.(I drive in sysdney traffic every days and the vibration wears thin after about a week.).Ive added many accessories with no change , asked mitsubishi a couple times to fix it and they have no idea what to do.. I had to tell them about spacer options etc...
Took matters into my own hands and filed the rubber centre bearing holes with sikaflex.. let it dry over night and .. no longer do I have a vibration on take off...

Ill keep you updated
01omd

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Good to hear, now on another topic do you experience any whine coming from the rear end which sounds like a pinion bearing howl dead on 80kph under a light throttle, by 85kph its gone. :?:
WUNSIE

Postby Saliya on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

WUNSIE wrote:Good to hear, now on another topic do you experience any whine coming from the rear end which sounds like a pinion bearing howl dead on 80kph under a light throttle, by 85kph its gone. :?:

Very late response, but yes absolutely. starts at 80 and gone by 85km/h.
Saliya

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Can you mention it to your service dept and report back on the outcome ( only if you want to )as I am banging my head up against a brick wall where I go to,
Cheers mate
WUNSIE

Postby 01omd on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:17 pm

[quote="WUNSIE"]Good to hear, now on another topic do you experience any whine coming from the rear end which sounds like a pinion bearing howl dead on 80kph under a light throttle, by 85kph its gone. :?:[/quote

]might pay to drop the fluid ,add a stabiliser in it with a refill..
01omd

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

1st thing I did mate, quietened it down for a short time but back again, I am going to go to another service dept for its next service and point it out to them
WUNSIE

Postby mitzi1 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:05 pm

I've always thought the shudder on take off could be traction control. Just a guess.
mitzi1

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:01 pm

Seriously?

Time to do some reading.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Single piece driveshaft

Postby savs91 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:20 pm

Anyone converted a two piece driveshaft into a single on their MQ Triton.
Currently running a Formula 40mm lift kit with centre bearing spacer kit and tail shaft spacer and still getting shudders on take off.
Next option was to install castor wedges, but I don’t want to waste my time and it not fix the issue without getting some insight on the single piece driveshaft first.
savs91

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:50 pm

Gents, I've merged 3 topics here, since it's all the same subject. Best to keep stuff like this all together, rather than scattered all over the place.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby AndrewGLS on Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:55 pm

My in depth youtube research has suggested that wedges to match read dif and gearbox angles up should do the trick. Anyone had any success with that?
AndrewGLS

Previous

Return to Suspension