MQ GLX manual Lift kits

MQ GLX manual Lift kits

Postby jerrah on Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 pm

I've seen a few different lift kids mentioned but I don't think I've seen any in the combination of easy select and the manual gearbox. The Ultimate Suspension company seem to suggest that the GLX with manual gearbox will have issues with vibration whereas the GLX auto or Super Select vehicles do not.

http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au/vehicle_view.php?detail=small&vehicle_id=149
SPRING NOTES!
All Tritons fitted with the Manual "Easy Select" gearbox or two-piece tailshaft from factory will develop a drive-line vibration on take-off after raised height leaf springs are fitted. Tailshaft Spacer Kits are available to help reduce the severity of the vibration, however it is not a guaranteed fix. If you find the spacer does not improve the vibration, it can be returned for a refund.

Automatic and "Super Select" Manual gearboxes use a single-piece tailshaft and do not develop this vibration. Please contact our sales office for more information.

Has anyone fitted a lift to a GLX (or Plus) with the 6 speed manual and what were your experiences?
jerrah

Re: MQ GLX manual Lift kits

Postby Tim650 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:38 am

I have an Ironman lift/load kit on my GLS dual cab. There is slightly more vibration/shudder in 1st gear when first taking off, but mainly noticeable in low revs or taking off with a reasonable amount of throttle. Once you get half way through 1st, the shudder is gone. I got 50mm lift in the front with a steel bullbar and winch, and 60mm lift in the rear with 300kg+ load springs in the rear.
Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight, yet few people can see bugger all right in front of them!

Regret hurts more than failure ....
Tim650

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:10 pm

I have a MQ GLX dual cab, 6pd, 2inch ironman lift with foam cells. Shudder through first gear was terrible unladen! Magnified when towing our van! Adding weight to the tray/canopy made a noticable improvement but still felt it!

Ended up going with the TJM centre bearing kit for $100. Made mine pretty much back to what it was from the factory floor.

In saying that though, with all the additional weight I have added to the rig I reckon the heights would be pretty much as they were from the factory floor!!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby jerrah on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Tasc4life wrote:Ended up going with the TJM centre bearing kit for $100. Made mine pretty much back to what it was from the factory floor.
The height of the vehicle will be the same regardless of the kits so it sounds like the TJM kit might be a must for the MQ GLX(+)...
jerrah

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 pm

My personal opinion, although I lack the experiance with any other product, I don't think I'll be choosing ironman for my next vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby Merts on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:54 am

//Automatic and "Super Select" Manual gearboxes use a single-piece tailshaft and do not develop this vibration. Please contact our sales office for more information.//

I have no idea where ultimate suspension got the idea that only manual easy select MQs have two piece tailshafts. All MQs have two piece tailshafts, and I can confirm from experience that lifting the rear 40 or 50mm above factory height will cause shudder on take off. I'm pretty sure people have even reported some shudder in vehicles with factory suspension.

The easy fix is to leave the vehicle in 4H (works with mine anyway).
I'm hopeful that once the drawers and fridge go in and it drops down 15 or 20mm the shudder will be eliminated or reduced.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Merts wrote:All MQs have two piece tailshafts
According to this you're 100% correct. I guess any information from others with MQ lift kits applies to every other model as the configuration is the same.
jerrah

Postby Daz74 on Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 pm

I've just had a 2inch lift done on my GLX, bilstein shocks and king springs. I'm experiencing a clanging or knocking sound on front end, or springs when going over small rises and drops or bumps at low or medium speed.
Ride and response seems great just the noise doesn't sound right, have spoken to the installers and will take it in when back from working away.
Has anyone else ever come accross this with the MQ? I'm thinking they may have pushed it too far with the lift height and possibly needs adjusting to lower seeing the bilsteins are adjustable.
Daz74

Postby shortSteve on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Daz74 wrote:I've just had a 2inch lift done on my GLX, bilstein shocks and king springs. I'm experiencing a clanging or knocking sound on front end, or springs when going over small rises and drops or bumps at low or medium speed.
Ride and response seems great just the noise doesn't sound right, have spoken to the installers and will take it in when back from working away.
Has anyone else ever come accross this with the MQ? I'm thinking they may have pushed it too far with the lift height and possibly needs adjusting to lower seeing the bilsteins are adjustable.

Sounds like upper bump stop (rubber) taken out to me...

sS
shortSteve

Postby Daz74 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 am

They said they were taken out and that the bilstein, king spring set up has it's own.
Daz74

Postby shortSteve on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Daz74 wrote:They said they were taken out and that the bilstein, king spring set up has it's own.

Look, I'm no suspension guru guy, but if the full weight if my vehicle was being pressed against the mechanical travel limit for a shock/spring, something sounds not quite right. It is quite common for installers to remove upper bump stop (droop/extension stop) as new raised strut/spring assemblies can press against them until they settle/sag a bit. you can get reduced height bump stops, but I wouldn't have nothing in there...

I could be well and truly wrong here, so maybe wait for others to chime in who are better educated/informed :)

sS
shortSteve

Postby Daz74 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 pm

I had a pm saying the same thing, I'm going to get a set of half bump stops which should do the trick.

Thanks for the advice though as I know next to nothing but am trying to learn.
Daz74

Postby blackmagic on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 pm

jerrah wrote:
Tasc4life wrote:Ended up going with the TJM centre bearing kit for $100. Made mine pretty much back to what it was from the factory floor.
The height of the vehicle will be the same regardless of the kits so it sounds like the TJM kit might be a must for the MQ GLX(+)...

Just had the TJM kit installed , it has fixed the shuttering in first !. Cheers for the advice.
blackmagic

Postby KTMhacker on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:07 pm

G'day,

First time poster...

Can anyone recommend a suspension installer in the Hunter/Newcastle region that is familiar with MQ installs?

Cheers.
TJ
KTMhacker

Return to Suspension