Keeping Legal

Keeping Legal

Postby niklastj on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey folks,

I'm currently waiting on a 2017 MQ to arrive from Sydney by the end of the month (they've pushed delivery back about 3 weeks now), the idea is to build it into a solid but legal tourer, was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum legal lift is, RMS website says that ride height increase can not be more than 1/3 of the suspension travel from factory, Does anyone know the factory suspension travel?

Also curious about whether the increase in height from tires is included in this suspension lift as the website is unclear.
a 31.4 inch tall tyre should be legal as keeping within the 7% size increase. (31.565 inch tall).

Sorry about the little wall of text, Just hoping to draw on other peoples knowledge and also for anyone to correct me if I've got it wrong.
niklastj

Re: Keeping Legal

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:06 pm

In Sydney go and see/message Brendan from Ultimate suspension.

Some States allow 1" from tyres (2" diameter) and 2" from suspension other States it is 2" combined.

245/75/17 is 50mm bigger than 245/65/17

Really a MQ 25 to 35mm is the max lift to still have good suspension travel (up/down).
L200Shogun

Postby bdrjnr on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I remember reading something about nsw had just recently changed there laws with out the need for engineers report.. 2 inch in suspension and 1 inch with wheels/tyres.

But saying that I could be wrong..

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
bdrjnr

Postby gatomie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Google VSI 06, it will give you an idea what does or doesn't need VSCCS certification. Then google VSB 14, it's the document they (VSCCS) use for certification. Pay particular attention to the info regarding ESC.... Cheers
gatomie

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:38 pm

gatomie wrote:Google VSI 06, it will give you an idea what does or doesn't need VSCCS certification. Then google VSB 14, it's the document they (VSCCS) use for certification. Pay particular attention to the info regarding ESC.... Cheers

Have these been passed as law in NSW yet?
I know it was all canned for further discussion not that long ago.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bdrjnr on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm

This is part of what I read the other day where you don't need engineer report..

Maths isn't my strong point but doesn't equal up to me...

Modifications to the ride height up to 75mm that incorporate a maximum change in the suspension of 50mm, and/or an increase in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to 50mm.

But that 7% of the largest wheel size by manufacture still applies.

bdrjnr

Postby gatomie on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 am

Yep

The 3 documents that a vehicle registered in NSW need to comply with are ADR's, Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 Schedule 2 and AIS Safety Check (Pink slip).

If it does not comply, that's where VSI 06 and VSB 14 comes into play. They give the tolerances of owner certified Mods and anything more or less needs to be certified by a VSCCS. licensed certifiers enrolled in the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) also work within the constraints of these documents.

From personal experience, this is what the police use to issue defect notices and it is the escape clause for most insurance companies....
gatomie

Postby bdrjnr on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks... i think my truck maybe just out of the parameters.. and I guess the onus is on the owner to prove factory specs, and then show what susspension changes are.

Mine has probably sagged a little with extra weight I have.

Talking about pink slip and ADR. Had a situation where a dealer wouldn't give me a pink slip because of xrox bar left to much exposed underneath. Apparently a new notice the sent out. I copped it on the chin. So I took it else where. Where I was honest and told them what the dealer said. They rang the rms technical to confirm. And they said as long as it is ADR approved bull bar and underneath is all factory and no additions on bull bar or underneath it is compliant.

Only issue next rms technical person will interpret the rules differently.

I looked at about 12 4wd after and the way I was originally told it only about 2 would have passed.

bdrjnr

Postby gatomie on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 am

When the police have a road worthy operation, they tap into what is call the RVCS database which has a lot of info on vehicle specs.

As for bullbars, I expect to hear a few defects issued post Sep 2017 on websites such as this one...

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/ ... rances.pdf
gatomie

Return to Suspension