Dobinsons Lift Kits

Dobinsons Lift Kits

Postby Nick Bagus on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am

Hi guys,

I'm shopping around at the moment for a lift and Dobinsons have certainly caught my eye. I've done a bit of searching on the forums but didn't have much luck with regard to people's experiences with Dobinsons, so just hoping anyone who has a lift installed with Dobinsons gear could please give me some feedback?

In the rear my tub is usually unladen however i have a MCC rear bar which might weigh 50 odd kgs, and looking at a single drawer setup with wings.

Click to view larger picture[/url

Cheers
Nick Bagus

Re: Dobinsons Lift Kits

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 am

Nick Bagus wrote: I've done a bit of searching on the forums but didn't have much luck with regard to people's experiences with Dobinsons

Yeah, right. I tried "dobinsons" in the topic tile only and got over 300 posts in those threads.

However, we don't have a dedicated Dobinsons thread in the Fifth Generation section, so this is now it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Nick Bagus on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 am

Yes i did see a few search results but mostly from 10 years ago and not 5th gen, thanks
Nick Bagus

Postby Merts on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:48 pm

I have Dobinsons gear on my MQ. I'm happy with the springs. The shockers are just okay.
One failed under warranty, but apart from that they've continued to perform okay.

They seem a bit firm on compression sometimes and other times allow a bit of rebound 'bouncing'.

If I was doing it again I'd probably use their springs but go for a different brand for the shockers.

Bear in mind my rig is significantly heavier than yours so their shockers might be fine for your application.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Nick Bagus on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Merts wrote:I have Dobinsons gear on my MQ. I'm happy with the springs. The shockers are just okay.
One failed under warranty, but apart from that they've continued to perform okay.

They seem a bit firm on compression sometimes and other times allow a bit of rebound 'bouncing'.

If I was doing it again I'd probably use their springs but go for a different brand for the shockers.

Bear in mind my rig is significantly heavier than yours so their shockers might be fine for your application.

Thanks Merts, yeah i should've said that i'll be going an Ironman Commercial Deluxe Bullbar up front but other than that and some bash plates, no other permanent weight added. Thanks for your help.
Nick Bagus

Postby Probz on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm

My experience is for a 4th Gen but I'll throw my two cents in in case it helps.

Rear shocks- hard on road, super skittish on corrugations, no rebound at 30k old (close them up go have a coffee come back and are still extending) so have replaced them with cheap ultimas for a 60series landcruiser which are way way nicer on road and in the bush but only have under 500km on them so who knows how long they will last.
Leafs are good- I have rear Comfort leafs with similar rear bar to you but no draws but with 100 odd kg in the back it still doesn't sag much at all.
Front Shocks - are ok but bit skittish on corrugations no where near as bad as rear, has a second bounce coming to a stop now at 30k old.
Front Springs - first set were for no bullbar, didn't lift car at all compared to standard, second set were for bullbar and winch and only lifted front 20mm so now have 6mm coil spacer for extra lift
Probz

Postby Lost1 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:28 am

I fitted dobinson HD springs front and +300kg rear with MRR shocks. They have done just on 15,000k's so far. Like Merts said they have a little bit of bounce on the rebound if you get close to full compression. Like Merts I am running heavy for slol remote touring. Front bar, winch, dual batteries, rear bar with twin wheel carriers, canopy, 55L water tank and a 135L fuel tank. When going remote for a week or two I am GVM + or - 50kg.
Lost1

Postby Nick Bagus on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll keep doing my research and find a suitable setup shortly!
Nick Bagus

Return to Suspension