Will a gvm/gcm upgrade also give 2inch lift?

Will a gvm/gcm upgrade also give 2inch lift?

Postby mooky on Sat May 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi all,

I about to start on a new MR GLS build with a custom canopy. As part of that I’m looking to put in a gvm/gcm upgrade but in everything I have read so far there is no indication that these increase the ride high as well. I would also like to add 2 inches so I can get big and better rubber under her for improved off-road ability.

So to the collective wisdom of the group as anyone done similar? Any tips or pit falls to look out for.

Cheers
Mark
mooky

Re: Will a gvm/gcm upgrade also give 2inch lift?

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 30, 2020 1:44 pm

mooky wrote:I would also like to add 2 inches

Yeah, you're not alone there, mate.

mooky wrote: I’m looking to put in a gvm/gcm upgrade

Is there a GCM/GVM upgrade for these? Fully engineered? Where?

mooky wrote:so I can get big and better rubber under her for improved off-road ability.

Here's what I've learnt in close on 30 years of offroading:

Bigger is not better

How many times have I seen super lifted vehicles, with giant muddies and lots of blacked out bits, fail to get through when a stock standard Triton sails past with no problems at all? It's all about the skills and knowhow, not how flashy the ute is. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Upgrading the standard suspension in the Triton is one of the best things you can do, especially if you're towing or carrying heavy payloads, yes you're likely to gain a bit of a lift by doing this but you can customize your ride hight up to 2inchs without any sort of engineering.

When it comes to increasing your GVM, I think the maximum an engineer will go is an extra 200kg on top of the Tritons standard GVM, but I'm fairly sure it won't increase your GCM... If you increase your GVM by 200kg you actually have to reduce your towing load. Best to give Ultimate Suspension a call to confirm.

My opinion is, if you're needing to up the GVM on a Triton, then you've purchased the wrong type of vehicle! Even with the correct suspension they're not great at handling above their standard GVM.

A 2inch lift is a fairly normal thing to do when heading off-road but the Triton will accommodate larger than stock tyres up to 31.6" or (265/70r17) without a lift... This is also the maximum size most of us go to due to legalities and all round drivabilty. If you're wanting bigger, say 32.8" or (285/70r17) then you'll have to find an engineer, and that will probably mean re-gearing your diffs and upgrades to your brakes. All do-able but will cost megga bucks.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mooky on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. Reading what has been said and thinking about it a bit more I guess what I’m looking at is to make sure after all the aftermarket bits are added not then to be at or exceed the gvm Before I even add the food and camp gear. But understand that also requires some commonsense to start with... do you really need that sink.

The other point was and I think srb hit on it. If I go the gvm upgrade route then customise the ride height as suits. I was more concerned that I did that then found would have to again increase suspension to maybe get larger tires. Which is really only to increase the height of the diff pumpkin etc and agree was not looking to stupid increases because as you point out that then gets into the realm of big $$.. I don’t have that much to throw around.

So what I have found so far is Pedder do have a gvm upgrade kit for the MR https://www.pedders.com.au/kits/gvm-upg ... hi-triton/

I’ll have a chat to them.

Again thanks for time and advice.
Mark
mooky

Return to Suspension