MR browsing suspension

MR browsing suspension

Postby Joshua on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:20 pm

Hey guys,

Recently bought a MR 2019 Triton, been doing some research into 2inch suspension lift kits. Currently most interested in Formula from Fulcrum & Dobinsons. Wanted to get some advice on recommendations for brands from you guys if I can. I got a quote from the guys at Fulcrum, and they recommended that with this model I pay the extra for an upper control arm alongside the kit. I know there are many other providers, but I want to narrow options as best I can and get off with a set practical for on and off road. I don't carry tools in my tub, 95% of driving is with low weight. Plan to eventually get canopy, and also a bull bar and winch. What are your guys' thoughts?

Much appreciated
Joshua

Re: MR browsing suspension

Postby Nick Bagus on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:45 am

Hi mate,

A lot of blokes are running Outback Armour in their MQ's and rave about the setup. I am going down that route myself once my bull bar is fitted. Outback Armour offer shocks in a standard foam cell or an adjustable bypass for about $2,700 fitted. Opposite Lock are one of the major distributors of the brand, but plenty of independent 4x4 shops stock it too so you may be able to get a better price from them.

I personally don't think you need to upgrade the upper control arms for a 40-50mm lift. I think they're just trying to upsell you. If you want to start going larger then a 40-50mm lift then you'll be needing UCA's and a diff drop kit.

Hope that helps.
Nick Bagus

Postby mooky on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:05 pm

Nick Bagus wrote:Hi mate,

A lot of blokes are running Outback Armour in their MQ's and rave about the setup. I am going down that route myself once my bull bar is fitted. Outback Armour offer shocks in a standard foam cell or an adjustable bypass for about $2,700 fitted. Opposite Lock are one of the major distributors of the brand, but plenty of independent 4x4 shops stock it too so you may be able to get a better price from them.

I personally don't think you need to upgrade the upper control arms for a 40-50mm lift. I think they're just trying to upsell you. If you want to start going larger then a 40-50mm lift then you'll be needing UCA's and a diff drop kit.

Hope that helps.

Hi Nick,

Am thinking about going down this path myself and wondering if you have had the kit installed yet?

Cheers
Mark
mooky

Postby Lost1 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Fitted Dobinson MRR 50mm shocks with 2" lift. I had to buy new UCA as the factory UCA hit the shock body on full extension. I picked up a pair of UCA that looked similar to factory and also increased castor angle. Cost me about $650 around 3 years ago.
Lost1

Postby Nick Bagus on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:07 am

mooky wrote:
Nick Bagus wrote:Hi mate,

Hope that helps.

Hi Nick,

Am thinking about going down this path myself and wondering if you have had the kit installed yet?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

Not yet but am thinking i'm not far off it as since the install of the bull bar my suspension is feeling really doughy. I haven't measured how much sag i've had but i'd say its at least 20mm if not a bit more. Outback Armour will be the route i take.
Nick Bagus

Postby harmigera on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:11 am

I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension on my MQ. I mainly use it for camping trips, towing a large camper trailer and all the gear in the tub, noticed my leafs are inverted when loaded. There are some good reviews on Outback Armour and I have a Opposite Lock shop nearby.
My question, is the adjustable kit worth the extra coin? The adjustable are an extra $300, so it won't break the bank, but is it just a gimmick and something I will never use?

Thanks
harmigera

Postby harmigera on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:29 am

Any opinions on Outback Armour suspension?
harmigera

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:06 pm

Back in the day, when they were worth only 15% of the value of my house, rather than 50%, I had a Torana which had a set of adjustable shock absorbers that used the same system.

The rears, particularly, were very good at turning the already firm suspension into something that had the springiness of a steel girder and enabled the car to actually leave the ground when running over anything more substantial than a cigarette butt. Awful.

That said, on the lowest settings it did tighten up the rear somewhat which worked against the sway bars in a rather interesting fashion.

On a Triton, upgraded leaf springs in the rear will probably carry an increased rating of about 300kg. That means that you'll have to have close to this amount of weight in the back before they start acting anything like the OEM leaves (without the invertedness). Stiffening up the shocks as well probably won't do anything for the ride while doing the same for the front means you're further reducing the precious little movement that this system has.

Maybe after a couple of hundred thousand kilometres the ability to adjust the valving will have some benefit in prolonging the life of the shocks, or maybe a seal will just go and you can then chuck them in the bin.

I tried a few different systems on the Triton (but only one on the Pajero) and the best way, by far, is to find a suspension supplier who can make a suspension to specifically suit your vehicle weights and your needs.

Once I'd done that with the Triton I had no further issues. I did it from new on the Pajero, and still get other owners commenting on how good the ride is, seven years later.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Vikingshippy2 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:22 am

I've just had a 3.2t gvm upgrade on my 2019 Mr glx+ and the heaviest spring rate avalible and lift from pedders 55f 65r with a UCA from super pro and braided brake lines and vented rotors wow what a difference it has made.. carrying;
300kg to the agg.and 800kg free payload
ARB Summit bars steps and rails
ARB canopy plus interior bars
ARB rear step and towbar
MSA draws
MSA fridge slide and cage
265x75x16 BFG ko2
On standard 16x7 rims.

Getting closer to the big lap..

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk
Vikingshippy2

Return to Suspension