Ironman rear step - MQ

Ironman rear step - MQ

Postby aquagen on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying an ironman rear step tow bar for a mq, you will need a grinder to shave the bottom mounts. They won't fit out of the box with the side mounts fitted, and the side mounts won't fit with the bottom mounts fitted. I suggest grinding the bottom ones as they are shorter and I took maybe 5mm off. Also the mount for the tow plug doesn't fit the iron man wiring loom flat plug. I got 1 bolt in and used a zip tie on the other side.

I'll be ringing iron man tomorrow to give them a heads up on these issues. I believe my car is the first fitted in Perth
aquagen

Re: Ironman rear step

Postby MADMETHBANSHEE on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Bugger mine arrives friday
MADMETHBANSHEE

Postby aquagen on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:34 am

Only a 5 minute fix. And apart from that I'm happy with the step. Heaps higher than the mitsi tow bar
aquagen

Postby navh on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:44 pm

mine was the same with the bottom bolt plate. Also no bolts to re-attach the number plate, have to cut factory number plate light to connect to the new lights.
navh

Re: Ironman rear step - MQ

Postby aquagen on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Yep. Oh forgot to mention, if your going to use normal nuts for the number plate make sure you fit the plate before fitting the bar. No room to get behind after bolting up the bar. I used some nuts with tabs welded on them so they couldn't turn.
2 ppl without the grinding shouldn't take more than 1 hour, definitely a 2 man job though
aquagen

Postby navh on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Who said that you cant do it your self!!! 2 hours with out the wiring harness

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
navh

Postby MADMETHBANSHEE on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:05 pm

I have a hoist and pit :)

Might do up a DIY video when I install my step bar and bull bar for members to critique
MADMETHBANSHEE

Postby rsv4dan on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:17 pm

I fitted mine a few weeks ago. Yeah had to grind the plates to get them in the chassis rails.
I've also noticed that you can't just removed the number plate light bulbs with ease either... They use a nut behind the bar, no captive nuts so you need a spanner and a screw driver. Shit design again.

My tow hitch/tow hitch receiver is like a [censored] in a sock too. So loose it can't be right and must be dangerous. Not only is the tow hitch far smaller than it should be, the receiver is too big also. Even my genuine mits tow hitch is overly loose in the ironman receiver. Not sure what to do... And less than impressed to say the least.
rsv4dan

Postby rsv4dan on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Also my ironman steps were a poor fit too. Had to cut a fair bit off the front mounting plates because they hit the underside of the cab. Not cool, won't be buying anything else from ironman. Was going to go their lift kit but not going near it now, it's all junk as far as I'm concerned
rsv4dan

Postby Tim650 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:50 pm

Good to know. I have only a better rear bar, slider/steps and a lift kit left to add to my MQ.
Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight, yet few people can see bugger all right in front of them!

Regret hurts more than failure ....
Tim650

Postby Tony on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:01 pm

MADMETHBANSHEE wrote:I have a hoist and pit :)

Might do up a DIY video when I install my step bar and bull bar for members to critique

Many of us have a hoist, its cheating on DIY standards but I would never do without it. :mrgreen:

I quite admire these guys who do moderate to major work with little but a few blocks of wood and basic tools. 8-)

I used to have a pit too. :cry: I filled it in as was too dangerous with my kids and also possibility of some idiots having a fuel spill and igniting it. :|

It never ceases to amaze me how products like these don't fit correctly. Seems to be acceptable these days.

We see this a lot with many products.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:48 am

Kinda funny, in a way, that the MQ guys are reinventing the wheel. They're production vehicles and there are "tolerances" that they're built within. If, for example, the chassis width tolerance is +/- 2.5mm then the difference between widest and narrowest could be 5mm. If Ironman, or any other accessory manufacturer, happened to measure from one at either end of the scale then there will be problems fitting to a vehicle at the other end. If you then add that the accessory is also built within a tolerance range of, say, +/- 2.5mm, then the total difference between widest and narrowest could be 10mm.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kxboss on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:41 am

Niice
kxboss

Postby Tome on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Looks awesome. Picked mine up last week. Look forward to fitting it. Thanks for the descriptive help.
Tome

Postby Tim650 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm in the process of fitting Ironman steps/rails and I'm not really keen on the fitting. In their PDF instructions online, it says "On some models you may need to check for clearance between spacer plate and the support
rib on floor. If clearance is less than 10mm,
spacer plate will need to be modified and the
support rib in floor may need to be manipulated
for clearance as shown."

Now, cutting fittings on a brand new part seems like their R&D department went home early ..... also, when they say "floor rib in floor may need to be manipulated", what they mean is taking to your $40k vehicle with a grinder or hammer.

Very poor design, very thoughtless fitting, less than satisfactory for a reputable brand. You expect this stuff from cheap chinese Ebay items.

I'm considering taking them back for a refund.
Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight, yet few people can see bugger all right in front of them!

Tim650

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 pm

You might find it's them protecting themselves against production variability from Mitsubishi. I recall ARB running into issues some time back where they were saying the width between chassis rails at the rear had changed on some models despite being otherwise identical vehicles.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Tim650 wrote:I'm in the process of fitting Ironman steps/rails and I'm not really keen on the fitting. In their PDF instructions online, it says "On some models you may need to check for clearance between spacer plate and the support rib on floor. If clearance is less than 10mm,
spacer plate will need to be modified and the
support rib in floor may need to be manipulated
for clearance as shown."

Now, cutting fittings on a brand new part seems like their R&D department went home early ..... also, when they say "floor rib in floor may need to be manipulated", what they mean is taking to your $40k vehicle with a grinder or hammer. .

I had the same issue when I had my ironman side steps fitted. It was visibly unlevel plus, the spacer plate and mount would hit the support rib, and knock (i could hear and feel through the floor) on every bump. I removed the spear plate and cut it down, but when I re fitted it and tried to lift the front up level with the rear, it still hit.

I have tried placing an additional spacer plate in there but it still hits! I put rubber blocks between the plate and and top of the u bolt but I think this contributed to the rough ride! It felt the chassis and the body were one making it vibrate through the wheel on bumps!

I just removed the rubber blocks yesterday and it knocks again, but the ride definitely feels smoother! I'm going to have to completely remove them and make some further adjustments (grind down further, and drill the holes out to allow the bolt to sit closer to the chassis and away from the support rib!

I'm not exactly happy about it and have spoken to ironman about it and other things. But at the time I was more conserned about the suspension!

If you haven't fitted them completely, I'd definitely either discuss a solution with them first, or I'd make some alterations to the front mount and spacer before hand
Last edited by Tasc4life on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tasc4life

Postby Tim650 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:23 pm

But this is a fitting issue that is very well known to the point that the fitting instructions state "modification" and "manipulation" of both the mounting brackets and vehicle underbody. Either way, I have had a go at fitting the side steps up to the point of not wanting to take to the vehicle with a hammer (as recommended by Ironman fitting instructions) and will be returning the steps and requesting a refund.

Tim650

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Tim650 wrote:But this is a fitting issue that is very well known to the point that the fitting instructions state "modification" and "manipulation" of both the mounting brackets and vehicle underbody. Either way, I have had a go at fitting the side steps up to the point of not wanting to take to the vehicle with a hammer (as recommended by Ironman fitting instructions) and will be returning the steps and requesting a refund.

I definitely wont be taking to my car with a hammer, but I think I'm beyond being able to take them back..

I might give them a call next week and see what they say, but I think I'll be taking them off to modify further!
Tasc4life

Postby rsv4dan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:38 am

I ended up removing the steps and modifying the front mount by cutting some off and refitting.
rsv4dan

Postby blackmagic on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:54 pm

navh wrote:mine was the same with the bottom bolt plate. Also no bolts to re-attach the number plate, have to cut factory number plate light to connect to the new lights.

I just ued some trusty zippy ties
blackmagic

Postby Kezza on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 am

anyone have problems with the number plate lights on the ironman bar blinding the reversing camera at night
I USED TO PATROL BUT NOW I TRITON SOMETHING SOMETHING
Kezza

Postby mickl on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:03 pm

My MCC rocker bar number plate light does exactly the same thing. I'm going to fit some reverse lights onto the car so I can reverse without parkers on and see whats going on... Way too bright for a number plate light..
mickl

Postby aquagen on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm

I didn't notice a difference. But I upgraded my reverse globes to leds before I fit the bar. Couldn't see anything at night through the tint. Best $20 iv spent on ebay
aquagen

Return to Exterior Mods