Aftermarket Towbars

Aftermarket Towbars

Postby bobski on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:20 am

Hi,

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket towbar on an MQ (I have a GLX)?

I'm looking at either a TAG or Towbars Aus setup, they are cheapish and I'm only planning to use it for an occasional box trailer. Is there an advantage to going up to a Hayman Reese towbar?

There appears to be a plug already to the back of the ute? Is that likely to be all I plug into, or will I need to run a loom to the front of the ute (which might just make me say "stuff it I'll pay someone to install it").
bobski

Re: Aftermarket Towbars

Postby kxboss on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:36 am

Mate I have the mn and went a TJM step bar not much more than standard but has under body protection and is higher up than others, better clearance
kxboss

Postby ICKIS on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:17 pm

I have fitted a TAG towbar to my glx ... with tub no bumper. They are rated to 3.1T as per vehicle specs.
Have had no issues.... use it every day towing a work tool trailer. I got it for 450$ incle wiring harness ... rated shackles... hitch and towball. Thought it was a good deal. Would have bought the TJM rear step bar but the budget didnt stretch to $1100... my last tjm step towbar was only $595 3 yr ago....
Took about 1hr to fit towbar and an hour to wire it up as you need tobrun a constant +ve from the battery to the rear relay... and went to the trouble of conduiting mine and running up the inside of chasis rail for best protection.
Pics are in my member build thread.
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby bobski on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Perfect reply, thanks mate.
bobski

Postby simmo2803 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:11 pm

I've got the TAG, paid $615 installed. I've got the rear bumper and it sits snug to it.

The tongue moved a bit but have taken it out and it's behind the rear seat now for when needed.

Yet to use it though, since I got it the wind has been blowing and not got the boat out!
simmo2803

Postby bobski on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks Simmo, I've ordered a TAG - approx $450 from Ebay delivered (they had 10% off the other day). I'll give it a crack installing it.
bobski

Postby bobski on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Result was... TAG for the win. Delivered in 4 days, easy to install (plug and play) and electrics worked first time. The instructions weren't up to date with the MQ, but it was easy enough to work out (only one way it fits).

The only gripe is that the wire from the fuse holder to the battery was too short and my fuse holder is zip tied. Any one know if that is by design or just a short cable (the instructions say position it close to the battery for some reason) - can I lengthen the cable so I can screw the fuse holder to the chassis?
bobski

Recommendation on a tow bar for a Triton MR GLS ute

Postby lseries92 on Mon May 31, 2021 1:02 pm

I have a Triton MR GLS ute with the rear step and am looking for a recommendation for a towbar.

Short of going for a rear protection bar (which I do not want to do), are there any suitable towbars that are better for your departure angles than others? Or are they pretty much the same ...?
lseries92

Return to Exterior Mods