Best canopy for MQ

Best canopy for MQ

Postby Twydr on Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 am

Hi all

I am looking for a canopy for my new Triton and wondered what experience other owners had, I want the canopy for off road not as a trade canopy. My main criteria is strength, following the line of the vehicle and big lift windows for access.

Specifically I was looking at the ARB, Ironman, Razorback (Fibreglass) and EKO from Trek 4x4.

I am in Victoria so dealer suggestions in Victoria as well would be useful

Any advice would be great, thanks
Twydr

Re: Best canopy for MQ

Postby Merts on Thu May 26, 2016 10:04 am

A Carryboy canopy is being installed on my MQ today. They come standard with roof rails which will carry 85kg, or you can get a tradie rack which is rated for 100kg.

They match the lines of the vehicle nicely and the windows are large and open well beyond horizontal. The locks are 'slam' closing which is handy.

The only downside I see is that they are not cheap.

http://www.carryboy.com.au/_new/mitsubi ... iton-2015/
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fjholden1956 on Sun May 29, 2016 12:57 pm

I got the Eko brand on mine a few months back. It could be designed a little better for the rear door as I've had to adjust the locks on either side. But for $2300 I'm happy with it.
fjholden1956

Postby Duck on Sun May 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi & welcome :?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Twydr on Sun May 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks guys, I looked at the Carboy but couldn't justify the price tag, I am interested to know how you have gone with the Eko though
Twydr

Postby rjkenno on Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 am

i went the eko, very happy with it. even tho they sent me one for a Ranger first.
rjkenno

Postby Kiwi.mark on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi, keen to see as many pics of the MQ triton with a canopy and your opinions as I am currently in the market and unsure what canopy to get. Manly will use for camping etc.
Kiwi.mark

Postby simmo2803 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm struggling with google photos to embed the photo, this should be a link to 3 photos of my EKO canopy:
https://goo.gl/photos/RyFa7WXqDrQksySC8

I can take some more of inside or windows open.

I went with one sliding and one lift because that was what was coming into stock. Hindsight I would have preferred 2 lift up.

Cheers
simmo2803

Postby Merts on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Kiwi.mark wrote:Hi, keen to see as many pics of the MQ triton with a canopy and your opinions as I am currently in the market and unsure what canopy to get. Manly will use for camping etc.

There are photos showing the Carryboy canopy in my 'shed'.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thanatos on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:00 pm

I had an ARB canopy fitted on mine last week. I'll take a few photos when I get a chance. Pretty happy with it so far, has sealed really well in all the rain I've been driving through recently. Hasn't made highway driving louder either. The shape isn't for everyone as it does sit higher than the cab but I like it.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby Kiwi.mark on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:50 am

Thanatos wrote:I had an ARB canopy fitted on mine last week. I'll take a few photos when I get a chance. Pretty happy with it so far, has sealed really well in all the rain I've been driving through recently. Hasn't made highway driving louder either. The shape isn't for everyone as it does sit higher than the cab but I like it.
Thanks mate, photos would be great as there are very few pics on the 'classic canopy' on the web. Is it fixed by clamps rather than bolted?
Kiwi.mark

Postby Thanatos on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Hey Mark, sorry this has taken a while, I've uploaded a bunch of photos of it with the Canopy on to here

http://m.imgur.com/a/K8dqa
http://m.imgur.com/a/M4VQR

It is bolted through 3 clamps on each side, you wouldnt be getting it on/off in a hurry or want to be doing it regularly if that's what you're thinking.

I've also put on the internal frame and the roof racks you'll see in the photos. If you want any specific photos or measurements just let me know.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby Kiwi.mark on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanatos wrote:Hey Mark, sorry this has taken a while, I've uploaded a bunch of photos of it with the Canopy on to here

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://m.imgur.com/a/K8dqa">http://m.imgur.com/a/K8dqa</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://m.imgur.com/a/M4VQR">http://m.imgur.com/a/M4VQR</a><!-- m -->

It is bolted through 3 clamps on each side, you wouldnt be getting it on/off in a hurry or want to be doing it regularly if that's what you're thinking.

I've also put on the internal frame and the roof racks you'll see in the photos. If you want any specific photos or measurements just let me know.
Thanks mate, really appreciate the photos, looks great! Just picked up my new triton yesterday and love it!
Kiwi.mark

Postby Petery on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:40 am

I'm glad to discover this forum and this thread in particular. I'm in the process of buying a new dual cab triton. We have a 85kg autohome roof top tent so I need a canopy that's strong enough to support this when driving, and then support the tent and two adults when stationary (about 250kg all up). Would the ARB be ok for this purpose with the internal support bars?

Also any thoughts on the regular versus higher ARB canopy? Is the higher one plus roof bars going to be a problem with carparks?

Thanks for any feedback on this question. Cheers. Peter
Last edited by Petery on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petery

Postby murwullambah on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Anyone tried the Sportsrange 4x4 canopies, think they are Thailand imports, look ok.

http://www.sportsrange.com.au/4x4-acces ... nopies.php
murwullambah

Postby kjk888 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 am

I've had a Carryboy canopy installed back in July and can't fault the product or service, highly recommended. They also installed their weather shields which are also a top quality product and look very noice. Remember you always get what you pay for when it comes to aftermarket mods.
kjk888

Postby Dilligara on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:36 pm

What price does the carryboy canopy go for on the MQ
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby striker99 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I got my workstyle canopy for the MQ today from Trek4x4, has large windows openings and a high roof, seems good so far.

Click to view larger picture
striker99

Postby snakesoup on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:09 pm

looks great mate, nice canopy
snakesoup

Postby Wayne.Oz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:01 am

I joined the forum for information specific to this thread. I am looking to add a canopy to my UTE. Unless I missed it there has been no mention of Mean Mother, any reason for this? Also, I would value comments on whether or not to leave my tub liner in the UTE once the canopy is in place. The UTE's main use is/will be camping/hunting. I'm in Port Macquarie so not too many options here. Cheers Wayne
Wayne.Oz

Postby Sandstorm76 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 pm

I went with ARB classic. I have the internal bars fitted and the ARB alloy canopy rack. The canopy is ugly but I like the fact that I have a great canopy roof rack with 150kg load capacity. I installed the vent scoop to pressurise the canopy and stop dust coming inside. Fitted all myself. The canopy was a bit fiddly to fit unlike the clamp on canopies. The ARB classic has lots of drilling and riveting to do.
Sandstorm76

Postby koldiron on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Gents. Am in the same boat looking for canopies for an MQ. I live in a semi remote region and my options are basically TJM, ARB and Ironman. Have had a look at the TJM and feel that it is value for money compared to the ARB. Haven't had a look at the Ironman but its price is competitive to the TJM canopy. Does anyone have an Ironman canopy or heard anything about them, good or bad? thanks
koldiron

Postby Dilligara on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Just ordered an Aeroklas, let you know what its like when I get it.
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby Ray57MQ on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Did you get the $400 cashback deal off it ? got a quote for $3480 - also tossing up between ARB & Ultimate...
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby koldiron on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 pm

With its $400 cash back this month the price I got quoted for the Aeroklas was basically the same as a smooth finish ARB classic with two lift up windows. Both are about $500 dearer than the smooth finish TJM canopy. In round figures: TJM - $2900, Smooth finish ARB classic - $3500 and Aeroklas with $400 cash back $3400. I have not seen an Aeroklas, are they really worth the extra $500 compared to the standard TJM canopy? They certainly look at lot more stylish. I have been told that because of the extra sloop on the rear, it is harder to access ridges and the like. Not sure if this is just a sales pitch. Cheers
koldiron

Next

Return to Exterior Mods